• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Primary Track Select Option (Tailhook minus all the Jet-Guy Douchenozzlery)

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
If they go the USMC route, transition bubbas will come from existing helo pilots, and tiltrotor will be a selection option out of primary. Tilt studs will go to HTs for an abbreviated syllabus that includes fams and... BIs? ...then get their wings from VT-31/35.

(I can't see why they wouldn't go the USMC route.)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If they go the USMC route, transition bubbas will come from existing helo pilots, and tiltrotor will be a selection option out of primary. Tilt studs will go to HTs for an abbreviated syllabus that includes fams and... BIs? ...then get their wings from VT-31/35.

Because this is the USN, and there's no wheel that can't be reinvented.

Transition guys will, I would bet, come from solely from VRC since the community is transitioning platforms. Changing communities is a much bigger deal in the Navy than the Marines. They'll probably adopt the USMC training program for the Cat 1s, though.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I'd agree with Fester. Probably, to start, mostly existing VRC guys who get a helo topoff and then go to Cherry Point/New River for a Cat-Other syllabus. Maybe a few Super JOs from a rotary background.

New dudes would follow the USMC route.

Last edited:

Planeform

pilot
I'm a VRC guy; lots of talk about this as we plan the sundown of our beloved COD. No plans to give anyone of us helo training...we would just go to the Marine FRS to learn V-22.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
What FAA ratings do the plopter bubbas get and what are their civilian job prospects like for their post military career?

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
considering rotary is my only option outside of P-8/3 is there a solid chance I'd be tossed into this program or is there enough of a back-fill from current COD flyers? I'm thinking from a needs of Navy standpoint...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
considering rotary is my only option outside of P-8/3 is there a solid chance I'd be tossed into this program or is there enough of a back-fill from current COD flyers? I'm thinking from a needs of Navy standpoint...

I haven't seen a timeline when they'll start taking Cat-1s for Ospreys. I think it'd probably be in the FY17 timeframe, but that's a pure ass-pull.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm a VRC guy; lots of talk about this as we plan the sundown of our beloved COD. No plans to give anyone of us helo training...we would just go to the Marine FRS to learn V-22.

Yeah, that's what I figured they'd do for the transition cats, but I'm not sure how they'd rationalize a different program from the Marine pipeline for the nuggets. When are the first dudes scheduled to go to New River?

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot

The USMC transitioned H-46 squadrons to V-22s. My guess is that the helo source of their pilots was because that was the platform being replaced.

I've only flown the V-22 sim, but it feels to me like a transport aircraft with VTOL capabilities, not a Helo with super speed. The throttle operates in the fixed wing sense (fwd = more pwr), and the control axes are decoupled through the FBW system, so I don't see any particular benefit to having a helo background for new guys. In fact, helo dudes tend to have trouble with the throttle direction when task saturated in a hover.

squorch2

pilot
Somehow the cobra does it:

ah-1g_cobra_front.jpg

squorch2

pilot
Also, given the conops for HV-22 (VOD for big and small ships) I'm betting that they will indeed take people from helo backgrounds, not FW.

IKE

Nerd Whirler
pilot
Also, given the conops for HV-22 (VOD for big and small ships) I'm betting that they will indeed take people from helo backgrounds, not FW.
I'm definitely no expert on how big Navy thinks, but my money is on transitioning the people already in the community, rather than ending the (flying) careers of C-2 guys and disproportionately promoting Helo dudes to fill COD DH/XO/CO spots.

It's not like they have to do hot LZ inserts, fast roping, fwd firing attacks, buttonhooks, etc. They fly from A to B with the option to takeoff or land vertically, which means maybe 5 mins of hover/low airspeed work per sortie.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's the VRC community picking up a new airplane, doing the same mission, and it's the ACCLW commodore making the decisions. They're not going to push COD guys out of a job because the new sled can hover and do vertrep. That'd be like saying VAQ was going to be filled with Rhino guys because the G can carry AMRAAM.