• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New POV registration?

holloway

I'm heading off to Quantico in a couple days to get ready for Bravo company. I just purchased a new POV and I stil have temporary tags and the whole nine yards. My intention was to get down to TBS, finish zero week, then register my car in Virginia on the following weekend. Will this fly? Will I be able to get my POV registered on MCB Quantico with temporary tags?

-JW

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
You can register a vehicle on base with temp tags. You'll get a temporary base pass until you get your permanent tags. Once you get your permanent tags, you'll get the DoD stickers for your car.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What Bubba said. And for the love of god, it's a CAR not a POV!

Registration

Getting temp dod stickers seems like a waste of time just get your car registered and then get real stickers is what I'd recommend.

Just get your car registered when you get to Quantico it takes 10 minutes. The Virginia DMV website will actually tell you what the wait time is at the local branch and there is a location aprox 2 miles out the back gate off of 610. Zero week isn't really all that exciting you'll find time.

s/f

KBayDog

Getting temp dod stickers seems like a waste of time just get your car registered and then get real stickers is what I'd recommend.

There seems to be some confusion here:

Bubba is talking about getting a temp pass (i.e., a piece of paper you keep on your dashboard and gives you base access for a limited time). Once you get your permanent vehicle registration, you can then go and get your DoD stickers.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
During zero week you'll have the opportunity to get your stickers at TBS on the green carpet area. Try and get your Virginia tags before hand if possible, save yourself the trouble of getting them later.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I'm guessing I'll have to get new plates when I get to Quantico correct? Or can I keep my California plates since I'll only be there for 6 months?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
I'm guessing I'll have to get new plates when I get to Quantico correct? Or can I keep my California plates since I'll only be there for 6 months?

No, you can keep your plates... and your CA residency if thats what you want.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
As a proud californian I believe I will zip ;) Hopefully I'll end up back here at Miramar or Pendleton at some point.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I still wasn't 25 at my first squadron. Not wanting to take the mandatory Drivers' Improvement Class (DIC) for all Marines under 25, I had to get temporary base passes. Which I did, for about 6 months, until my 25th birthday.

I thought it was complete BS that I could take out a, uh...well, I'd like to dazzle you with a huge number, but the original list for a CH-46 is like, $500,000...uh, a big-ass helicopter, but not be trusted to drive a '95 Mustang w/o a silly little course.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
As a proud californian I believe I will zip ;) Hopefully I'll end up back here at Miramar or Pendleton at some point.

If I remember correctly, CA doesnt Tax mil stationed out of state... Once you get down to P'Cola, Id change it to a FL residency to avoid getting hit w/ the taxes if you move back.

holloway

Just get your car registered when you get to Quantico it takes 10 minutes. The Virginia DMV website will actually tell you what the wait time is at the local branch and there is a location aprox 2 miles out the back gate off of 610. Zero week isn't really all that exciting you'll find time.

So I'll have time during zero week to go do this? My main concern was having a VA address for the registration.

-JW