• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New NFO to be

Status
Not open for further replies.

savingthisone

bouncy_125.gif
bouncy_125.gif
bouncy_125.gif
bouncy_125.gif
bigeyes_125.gif
Have just been selected for NFO! Would like to ask a couple questions: (1) What type of training is in store? I saw the "pipeline" at www.upenn.edu/nrotc/service/nfo. Does that mean that i can expect 22.5 hours of flight time in primary in a T-6 and 80 hours in a T43 if lucky enough to get P3. What part of this is stick time? I currently have ppl, 350 hrs.

Will my eyesight affect platfor assignment. Really do not care what assigned to, just wondering.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Congratulations! Check out www.cnatra.navy.mil . Check out the programs link and you will find good info on flight raining and OCS. The navy does not have T-6s. yet. Some pilots fly them through an exchange with the AF but I am not aware of the NFOs doing that. Used to be that if you went P-3s NFOs trainined with the AF up at Mather AFB after primary NFO in VT-10. Maybe that is the angle. You will start in the T-34C, a turbine, and in the first few fam flights get "stick time". After that you will fly the aircraft when you are doing well on the NFO stuff, have the time and the pilot is so inclinded. X-countries are the best time for that. Eye sight does not have a bearing on airframe selection. Good luck. You will enjoy it!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just looked at the CNATRA web site myself again. NFOs selcted for P-3s/EP-3 and E-6s do still go to train with the AF (poor bastards). Now you go to Randolph AFB and that may be the opportunity to fly the T-6. If you do anything else you stay in the Navy pipeline and it does not resemble the Air Farse dominated P-3 training. Have fun.

savingthisone

just got the word. report API early October. thanks. like to find out little more about training. could not find/get to the cnatra url.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Enter it manually into your browser. Try www.cnatra.navy.mil/programs.htm

savingthisone

gonna make a p poor nfo, cannot even navigate to CNATRA. Thanks Wink. Have tried everything. Must be something in my browser that CNATRA does not like. Will diddle with my settings.

Thanks much.

NFOtoBE

VP-5 NFO
That's a big NO on the flight time... You get 6 FAM flights in the T-34 or T-6 if you go to VT-10 (They are the first NFO squadron to get the T-6's ane were supposed to start flying them in July). During those FAM flights you are on the stick. After that you go to the back seat and do not get any more stick time throughout the pipeline. You then have 6 more flights in the T-34 as the Navigator. At the end of Primary if you get P-3's you then go to San Antonio and train with the Air Force. When I went through getting P-3's was tough (only 2 slots per squadron in our class) It depends on how you do grade wise and what the others in your class want. As for WINK saying "poor bastards" for those of us who trained in San Antonio, I can say you have no idea of what you are talking about. SA was great, a lot less stress than Pensacola was. Since we are training with the AF navigators and this is their first assignment, we have some portions of training that we don't have to go to and have 2 weeks off.

You train mostly on simulators in San Antonio. Total through the pipeline I have 77.7 hours in the air as a SNFO. The plane you fly in SA is a T-43 (military version Boeing 737-200), and have 13 flights (usually 4 hours each) in it. You have like 80 hours in the T-45 simulator (same as the plane just slightly different).

It does not matter how much stick time you have prior to the pipeline, you are only alloted those first 6 FAM flights at the stick. Your individual instructor may give you some more, but not guaranteed. And as mentioned earlier your eyesight does not affect your assignment. Good luck at API and in the pipeline.
Shane

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I really like San Antone. It was ment as a cheap shot at the AF. I can't help myself. I am curious about the T-6. I was sure the navy wasn't going to see them for awhile. Are they really close to IOC anywhere in the navy? If I'm wrong, sorry. If you every get to drive after VT-10 FAMS it would be in the TACAIR syllabus when flying the T-2 or T-45. Again, only if you have your sh*t in one sock. Oh, never ask to fly. Bad form for a proud NFO.

NFOtoBE

VP-5 NFO
Oh I see....The AF does seem to baby their personnel though. Spoon feed them everything. They do have money coming out of everywhere. They just repainted the whole base here in SA, and when I went down to Corpus Christi NAS the paint was peeling off the old rusty hangars. True in JAX too. Wish they would send some moolah to the Navy.

NuSnake

ok ok ok..there is nothin wrong with some nice golf courses...i mean come on!!!! the Navy could shell out a couple million for a nice little 18 hole course, easy!!! haha

If a frog had wings he wouldnt bump his ass all the time

brian-75

I am currently at VT-86 and on track to get my wings in 2 months or 28 sim/flights left. That being said if you wnat to go jets then you would stay at VT-4 or 10 for an additional 2-3 months (weather dependent)mostly doing airnavs and 4 low levels before going to the T-39 saberliner. That plane is a blast to fly in. Pretty advanced for the planes we have available. Anyways after that you go to 86, spend a month in ground school, then 2 months flying radar navigation and low level flights, select either strike or strike fighter, then spend then next 2-4 montsh with that curriculum and get your wings. Strike is about 2-3 months in length and is "easier" per say than the SF syllabus....you make a lot more charts but they are way fun to fly in the mountain areas of the country. SF is msotly sims and t-39 flights and is pretty difficult. I have to say that I really enjoy being a NFO as while the pilots fly the planes and such the NFo's are the ones who are the mission commanders, the weapons release men in the back and so on. There is more to that of course but flying jets is a lto of fun and the t-34 while cool is nothing compared to the glass cockpit of the t-6 or t-39. T-2 is a really old plane that should be replaced but oh well. VT-86 is hard but not any harder than VT-10 was just busier but then you fly farther faster and go on a lot of cross countries...

Status
Not open for further replies.