• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New NFO stationing

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Do you think D Models will ever go aboard ship, or is the plane not capable of carrier duty? Also, is it possible to a ground tour in Iwakuni has like a second tour WSO?

There's no need for D models to go to the boat - ain't gonna happen.

Brett

matteo

This may be a gay example, but wasn't the hornet in "Behind Enemy Lines" a two seater? Or do just navy two seaters go aboard ship, or was that hole movie horse sh*t?

DangerousDan

I could tell you but I would have to kill you
Bella Napoli

Not right off the bat, and I think you'll only hit Sig if you det there from a CONUS based squadron. If you're looking to wind up in Italy, do it in your shore tour--6th Fleet will be happy to take you, I'm sure.

thanks for the reply that sounds great. What type of things do you think I would do on shore tour in Italy?

AS a first tour JO (still a LT), Make coffee for the staff, make power point presentations for the staff, prepare briefs for the staff, occasionally brief the staff, you get the picture. Seriously, there are LOTS of different commands & activities which you could be assigned to. However, getting orders to any of those places will be determined in large part how well you do in your first JO fleet tour. Bottom line, if you do REALLY well in your first tour, you will have a much better chance of getting what you want for a follow on tour. Keep in mind also, that your community may have very different career path guidance for you once they see how you perform and what you are capable of.

Alright hers the skinny on Naples. If I were you I would go do your shore tour with the RAG or some other superstar billet. I WOULD NOT go to the staff unless you cant find something better for your aviation career. Yeah Italy is wonderful place to go experience but its better when your not working 5 days aweek in the building with no windows down in the dungeon on a staff which is undermanned and overworked and youll miss flying.

Not all of the tour would involve you being a powerpoint Ranger. I know as a JG I was one of the most junior people in the command center and I was talking with the Admirals all the time about problems and situations. Not to shabby for someone who couldnt find his head in the plane and was RIF'd. I know one of the department heads ASKED for LTs'/LCDRs for his shop because he wanted people who could think outside the box.

I personally want to go back but thats because thats who my reserve unit supports. If you have any other questions give me an email.

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor
This may be a gay example, but wasn't the hornet in "Behind Enemy Lines" a two seater? Or do just navy two seaters go aboard ship, or was that hole movie horse sh*t?

Only navy two seaters (F/A-18F Super Hornet) go to the ship. So... not all the movie was horse shit... Also the movie was set in 1996, the Super Hornet didn't do sea trials until 1997... So they had a bit of a Philadelphia experiment going on...

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
? Are you talking after winging? In which case it'll be wherever the FRS squadrons are for the various platforms that NFO's are assigned.

Whidbey Is WA for EA-6B
Jacksonville FL for P-3
Lemore CA for F/A-18F
Norfolk VA (?) for E-2

Who did I miss. I assume the S-3 RAG is done?

OKC, OK for E-6's.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
e6bflyer: Are SNFO's bypassing San Antonio and going straight to VQ-7 now? I used to be a cop at the Offutt DET and hope to return to TACAMO.

usnmerritt

NSW land
None

Dare you question Owen Wilson's integrity? His following will not be pleased.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Cool! That must make for a ridiculously short training pipeline...even with San Antonio I remember seeing Ensigns on alert. Anyways, thanks for the info!

USN99

USN99
None
Dangerous Advice = Good Advice

If I were you I would go do your shore tour with the RAG or some other superstar billet.

Point 1. You won't find this out typically until well, well after your first shore tour but probably will come to this realization just before you get screened (if they are still doing that) for your department head tour: Unless you're in the top 2 (very long shot 3, doubtful) rolling out of your first squadron tour, you won't get command. Depending on supply and demand, you can figure your chances for getting screened for your department head tour. But detailers know who the community front runners are and won't put them into their department head tours too close together to avoid fratricide. And if you don't get selected for a department head tour, you get the message. In fact, the first "menu" of offerings from your detailer for your first shore tour will give you "the message" about what your community thinks of you, if you can't figure out your fitrep ranking.

Point 2. So if you conclude that you're out of the running for command, then ask yourself do you want to make the Navy a career. All this, unfortunately, you'll need to figure out as you are in your last year of your first squadron tour. You really can't just drift along and figure out what you want to do as you go along. Your aviation community, and its quasi-henchmen (a.k.a., the detailers) will be making decisions for you. Your detailers already have you categorized after your first squadron tour. They know who's still in the running for command, for department head tour, the rest.

Point 3. If you want to make the Navy a career, don't make duty selections based on geography until you are taking your last tour of duty. Otherwise, take note of the career patterns of your Department Heads in your first squadron tour. Pay really close attention to the ones screened for command. From that set of career paths you should figure out if you like what they did, i.e., the billets they took.

Point 4. In aviation the RAG is considered the premier first shore tour. In the same category would be Flag Lieutenant if your fitreps will be signed by an aviation admiral. After the RAG, TraCom is in second place. But I refer you back to Point 3 - pay attention to the Department Heads in your first squadron tour. The trends there are more relevant to you. Remember, their detailers know which category they are in. Their career path will reflect that.

Point 5. Unless you are the Commander 6th Fleet, avoid Italy. Even if you are one of the handful of Chiefs of Staff in Navy organizations in Italy, avoid it especially if its your last Navy tour of duty. Refer to Point 4 - if you're the Flag Lieutenant to an aviation admiral, then a Navy organization in Italy might be OK. But do you want to be a Flag Lieutenant? News flash, unless you are asked to be one you're probably not going to be selected to be one even if you do volunteer.

Point 6. Do what you want. It's your life. :icon_smil

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Point 5. Unless you are the Commander 6th Fleet, avoid Italy. Even if you are one of the handful of Chiefs of Staff in Navy organizations in Italy, avoid it especially if its your last Navy tour of duty. Refer to Point 4 - if you're the Flag Lieutenant to an aviation admiral, then a Navy organization in Italy might be OK. But do you want to be a Flag Lieutenant? News flash, unless you are asked to be one you're probably not going to be selected to be one even if you do volunteer.

Point 6. Do what you want. It's your life. :icon_smil

Could you elaborate a little more on why to avoid Italy? What if you've fallen out of the pack of front runners...does it matter then? And why would you avoid it on your last tour?

dubldown

tours

Could someone comment on potential international billets/stations, or perhaps where you have been as an NFO?
thanks
(AA, Im assuming you are an IB major for a reason?)

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Could someone comment on potential international billets/stations, or perhaps where you have been as an NFO?
thanks
(AA, Im assuming you are an IB major for a reason?)

First fleet tour, Japan is probably the only overseas place you're likely to be stationed. Shore tours, you could end up just about anywhere, assuming there's a billet open. Other than that, it's really meaningless to speculate at this point about something that is years and years down the road. It's like asking a college grad where he intends to retire. You'll have a good enough idea once you get established in a community as to what is and is not available in terms of overseas billets.

Brett

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
Point 4. In aviation the RAG is considered the premier first shore tour. In the same category would be Flag Lieutenant if your fitreps will be signed by an aviation admiral. After the RAG, TraCom is in second place.

My understanding is that SFTI (or equivalent patch-wearer) is #1 shore tour, with RAG being #1A...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My understanding is that SFTI (or equivalent patch-wearer) is #1 shore tour, with RAG being #1A...

I agree that USN99's info may be a bit dated and community specific, but its overall "political" message is valid.

Brett

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor

That isn't the way they are detailing in the helo world: the RAG is still the top billet. Though if that is the way of things in the pointy-nose world then I wouldn't be shocked to see the helo types try to follow.

It takes some time for board results to reflect those kind of changes, so there can always be an uncertainty factor when you are trying to read the tea leaves (look at OOD letters, for instance).