• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New NFO stationing

dubldown

For any new NFOs out there, where are you getting stationed? Are there typical places that a new NFO will go to?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
For any new NFOs out there, where are you getting stationed? Are there typical places that a new NFO will go to?

? Are you talking after winging? In which case it'll be wherever the FRS squadrons are for the various platforms that NFO's are assigned.

Whidbey Is WA for EA-6B
Jacksonville FL for P-3
Lemore CA for F/A-18F
Norfolk VA (?) for E-2

Who did I miss. I assume the S-3 RAG is done?

P3 F0

None
Not right off the bat, and I think you'll only hit Sig if you det there from a CONUS based squadron. If you're looking to wind up in Italy, do it in your shore tour--6th Fleet will be happy to take you, I'm sure.

dubldown

thanks for the reply that sounds great. What type of things do you think I would do on shore tour in Italy?

robav8r

None
Contributor
What type of things do you think I would do on shore tour in Italy?
AS a first tour JO (still a LT), Make coffee for the staff, make power point presentations for the staff, prepare briefs for the staff, occasionally brief the staff, you get the picture. Seriously, there are LOTS of different commands & activities which you could be assigned to. However, getting orders to any of those places will be determined in large part how well you do in your first JO fleet tour. Bottom line, if you do REALLY well in your first tour, you will have a much better chance of getting what you want for a follow on tour. Keep in mind also, that your community may have very different career path guidance for you once they see how you perform and what you are capable of.

usnmerritt

NSW land
None

You can bet on Pensacola for a little while after you finish OCS to go through API and Primary. Then depending on what you select, stay in Pensacola or go to Randolph, which by the time you select will probably be in Pensacola anyway.

So, point being, you can expect to stay in Pensacola for a little while right after OCS. Then, as the others have said, each community has a FRS located in various locations. Your final squadron will be a crap shoot right now because there are so many variables that go into which pipeline you end up in. Right now, don't worry so much about that but knowing that you'll be in Pensacola for a little while for your SNFO training, because what we tell you right now looks to be changing in the near future.

When you get into API, you'll be around some more avenues of information that can give you more current stats on what routes are working out and what aren't.

matteo

What about MCAS Iwakuni? Also, how common is it for a VMFA to get tasked out to a Carrier, what would an Marine NFO aboard ship do when he was not flying? Lastly, what do NFO's on deployment...in say...that lovely gem of the desert, Al Asad, do when they aren't flying? Just some stuff as a new guy here that I had on top of my mind.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What about MCAS Iwakuni? Also, how common is it for a VMFA to get tasked out to a Carrier, what would an Marine NFO aboard ship do when he was not flying? Lastly, what do NFO's on deployment...in say...that lovely gem of the desert, Al Asad, do when they aren't flying? Just some stuff as a new guy here that I had on top of my mind.

Iwakuni (correct me if I'm wrong) just a deployment site for Marine D model Hornets. Also, D models do not go to the boat (but the single seat guys can). Everyone has a ground job for when you're not flying - doesn't matter if you're a pilot/NFO, or where you're deployed. Search on ground jobs for more details.

Brett

Crowbar

None
For the purposes of this conversation, Iwakuni is for deployments only. D model Hornets do not go to the boat. Regardless of where you are, at home, in the desert, or on the boat, when you aren't flying you have ground jobs to do. Or stealing bikes if you're in Iwakuni.

matteo

Do you think D Models will ever go aboard ship, or is the plane not capable of carrier duty? Also, is it possible to a ground tour in Iwakuni has like a second tour WSO?