• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Navy Drawdown Plan Targets Tens of Thousands of Sailors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Flash...that guy who works at Pass and Tag in Pensacola must be following company rules because I think his brother works up here in Norfolk. I swear, every time you walk in it's like you're getting in the way of their breaks or something. And God help you if you don't know how to fill something out or have a question like, "How do I get a pass for my motorcycle since it has temporary tags?" Holy smokes! I thought I was going to be court martialed.

We're losing our PNs and PCs onboard my ship, and I guess on all ships eventually. That's just super. Well, we get to keep our PN for a while, but he won't be doing his work. He'll just be here...that's all. His job will be to forward his work to the shore office. Talk about efficiency.

Thanks for reminding me of PSD. I need a new ID and I've heard horror stories about Pensacola...better do that up here before I transfer down there.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is another dimension to this. All the guys being replaced by contractors are sailors on shore duty. For every shore duty job going to a civ contractor there is one more shore duty opportunity gone for a hard working sailor needing a break from the sea duty grind. Often shore duty assignments, especially for the enlisted types, aren't very exciting or rewarding. They are, however, routine enought to allow a guy to get to know his 3 year old again or go to school and get a degree to better himself. These contractors don't deploy either. These days it isn't unusual for a guy on shore duty to be sent TAD anywhere to support the war or back fill someone else who had to go. We had a recruiter (O-3) who was on board barely a year when he was sent TAD to wear a UN blue helmet and lead foreign troops under fire in a jungle for 9 months. The bottom line is that increased reliance on civs, civil service or contractor, to do current shore duty work means fewer options for our Navy. That being the case, I don't know how they will fix the PERSTEMPO we have now.

Status
Not open for further replies.