• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Navy Drawdown Plan Targets Tens of Thousands of Sailors

Status
Not open for further replies.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
bch said:
I am not sure this is AS horrible as it seems. The article said it was staff jobs under the gun right now. Does the navy really need all those staff people? It seems that the money would be better spent (current events considered) on the sharp end vice the staff side....

Now I know that the staff side is what supports the operational side, but I think in this case the same amount can be done with less.

Coming from someone who works 12 to 14 hours a day, often 7 days a week, I can tell you that staff work is more demanding than what I did in 7 years of the fleet.

Most of the jobs they are talking about are shore support billets - so perhaps they will go to contract civilian flight instructors.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
isn't that a false economy though? If the job needs to be done, someone has to do it... and that someone costs money any way you cut it.

46Driver

Contractors do not get retirement - and since DoD spends 84 cents on retiree pay for every dollar of active duty pay, you can see why they continuously want to shrink the force.

VetteMuscle427

is out to lunch.
None
46Driver said:
Contractors do not get retirement - and since DoD spends 84 cents on retiree pay for every dollar of active duty pay, you can see why they continuously want to shrink the force.

Well, that makes sense in the long term. But don't contractors get paid more?

I have just heard from my father that when he was in the Navy and did admin on tricare as an O-6, the gov't didn't listen to him. Now they pay him 500/hr as a consultant. That doesn't seem very smart.

46Driver

VetteMuscle427 said:
Well, that makes sense in the long term. But don't contractors get paid more?

I have just heard from my father that when he was in the Navy and did admin on tricare as an O-6, the gov't didn't listen to him. Now they pay him 500/hr as a consultant. That doesn't seem very smart.

It depends on the contracting job. For flight instructors, an O-4 with flight pay and the $25k bonus makes over $100k a year. Contractor flight instructors are generally paid about $70k a year.

Also using contractors allows the Pentagon to use different pots of money and creative accounting.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Pags said:
so what you're saying is that soon i'll get the same great customer service i get at PSD (or CSD or whatever the hell it is now) navy wide?

Yes, you will.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
46Driver said:
It depends on the contracting job. For flight instructors, an O-4 with flight pay and the $25k bonus makes over $100k a year. Contractor flight instructors are generally paid about $70k a year.

Also using contractors allows the Pentagon to use different pots of money and creative accounting.

I think using civilian flight instructors would be a very poor decision. It is a great deal for the military guys because of the flight time and the great experience. It is good for the students because they get the experience from guys who have been there and done that, recently. And not get stories from guys who flew in Korea and talk about LORAN and celestial nav, cool stories but not really applicable.

46Driver

I didn't say it was a good idea, but its in use at Fort Rucker as well as a few other places. If I was a betting man, and the beancounters say it saves money, it might happen.

EngineGirl

Sleepy Head
Red2 said:
What's really funny is that you were the first to notice it, and you got more replies!!

I guess no one loves me :( . Actually it was probably due to the fact that I had a specific question about the article.

-Erin Leigh

P.S. He didn't notice it...I IM'd him and told him about it...lol

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
erinleigh31 said:
P.S. He didn't notice it...I IM'd him and told him about it...lol

This is correct. I didn't notice it was a dup until she told me. :)

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
46Driver said:
I didn't say it was a good idea, but its in use at Fort Rucker as well as a few other places. If I was a betting man, and the beancounters say it saves money, it might happen.

We have a ton of contract pilots at VT-86... the sim guys are all contractors... and there's any number of reservists who work as flight instructors (at least at VT-10/VT-4). So I wouldn't bet against the military looking to hire IPs and INs who are getting out to come back and do the same job as contract instructors...

Status
Not open for further replies.