• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Maritime Strategy

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It would be interesting to go back to look at some of the NSS/NMS documents from the Cold War to see in what ways they're different... and the same.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Great, now I'm going to have to read all of this. :D Good stuff, guys! This is what I was looking for, and I'll have to digest it later. Apparently, NSS was created as a statutory requirement in Goldwater-Nichols, so they only go back to 1987.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Isn't the hidden part of doing FDNF the basing of the crews and their families overseas (Housing/COLA/support functions/etc)? Do we hope that get's lost in the manpower budget that congress won't mess with? Who's paying to making Rota/Naples/Souda Bay have better facilities?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
These details are usually part of the negotiations with the host nation. Since moving US forces there has a significant economic impact, the host government will oftentimes provide or chip in on the infrastructure, but I'm not read in on the specifics for Rota. All I know is that the line to Shorty's fried rice is going to be a lot longer.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Transit time to WESTPAC is the real killer. Maybe the perpetual collective fantasy of forward-deploying a CSG to Australia will happen one of these days...

The idea of homeporting a Boat in Guam or Pearl keeps floating up and then sinking back out of sight every few years. At least that would avoid "host nation" complications.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Transit time to WESTPAC is the real killer. Maybe the perpetual collective fantasy of forward-deploying a CSG to Australia will happen one of these days...

The idea of homeporting a Boat in Guam or Pearl keeps floating up and then sinking back out of sight every few years. At least that would avoid "host nation" complications.

Two Words: Diego Garcia

Pags

N/A
pilot
Isn't the hidden part of doing FDNF the basing of the crews and their families overseas (Housing/COLA/support functions/etc)? Do we hope that get's lost in the manpower budget that congress won't mess with? Who's paying to making Rota/Naples/Souda Bay have better facilities?
The offset to that is that you can still have regional presence when in homeport.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

I seriously doubt Australia for several reasons, Guam or even Pearl are a lot more viable for several reasons host nation issues being a big one you pointed out.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I seriously doubt Australia for several reasons, Guam or even Pearl are a lot more viable for several reasons host nation issues being a big one you pointed out.
First and foremost would be the tyranny of distance. AUS is still a long way from 7th fleet hotspots. It took us over 10+ days to get from OKI to Northern AUS for TALISM SABER.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
First and foremost would be the tyranny of distance. AUS is still a long way from 7th fleet hotspots. It took us over 10+ days to get from OKI to Northern AUS for TALISM SABER.

Even longer if you avoid the chokepoints between there and the rest of the AOR, support and infrastructure are also concerns.

Last edited:

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Will be interesting to see how more overseas time without major overhaul periods will impact ship maintenance. The other thing that was a pain being overseas was access to classes/facilities such as DC and Firefighter trainers. If you're in a fleet concentration area that's a quick trip on no-cost orders. If you're not near a fleet concentration areas, the TAD funding required to get everyone trained is not insignificant.

CNRMC is setting up an RMC facility in Rota for our FDNF ships. For training purposes, SURFLANT has set up an I-stop at Little Creek for everyone heading to Rota- and Bahrain-based ships. While they're I-stopped they'll complete all of the training they need in order to be ready to deploy. It's a mess right now, but hopefully they figure it out. PCRON made it work alright with Bahrain-based PCs, but that's only a handful of people at a time instead of hundreds.