• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Intel O-1: Carrier "ships company" VS. "squadron"

cui bono

Yeah, Bullgator. I have talked to an OR one on one. The one in my city referred me to an OR outside of my city who takes care of college grads. He's been pretty apathetic. Besides going down to take the ASTB (which was administered by his secretary) I never really got much face time. I'm sure it is because there are fare more capable and competent competitors. The secretary was telling me about a chick who got into Intel with a 3.8 GPA from Duke (I'd pick her up too). Thanks for the tip, NavAir42. NavAir42, I know some Japanese, should I put that down also?

BullGator

Yeah, Bullgator. I have talked to an OR one on one. The one in my city referred me to an OR outside of my city who takes care of college grads. He's been pretty apathetic. Besides going down to take the ASTB (which was administered by his secretary) I never really got much face time. I'm sure it is because there are fare more capable and competent competitors. The secretary was telling me about a chick who got into Intel with a 3.8 GPA from Duke (I'd pick her up too). Thanks for the tip, NavAir42. NavAir42, I know some Japanese, should I put that down also?
Your OR should send you an email with about 4 documents, one being an application. On the application, there is a place to enter any secondary languages and your profeciency in reading, listening to, and speaking (I think those are the 3 descriptions, each with 3 levels of proficiency).

Know that Intel is competitive too. ORs are typically busy, so show your determination and he will get to you very soon (I'd think): to get some "face-time"/ meetings and talks on the phone and email.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
lol... Why more officers won't go submarines is beyond me... but then, of course, I am biased...
3 section watch rotations are a punishment for SWOs if they fuck up...they are routine for submariners.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
3 section watch rotations are a punishment for SWOs if they fuck up...they are routine for submariners.
Or SWOs on small boys. Thats what I am looking forward to in the coming months.

Logico

I created this thread about a few years ago. Since then, I am almost done with my first tour at a helo squadron. 1 deployment, full workups, many dets, etc. Got to do a lot of ASW stuff, a few dets with SPECWAR, HVBSS, CSAR, and even helo CAS.

Let me just say that it was a wonderful tour. I had a great time. I am very happy with my squadron. My squadron integrated me into all of their missions, PQS training, workup "scenerios", etc. I got to do countless intel briefings to the squadron and airwing. I got good constructive feedback.

During cruise I found my work in CVIC to be very interesting and eye-opening. I did time in every shop but mostly debriefing and SIAC.

The people who said "your first tour is one of misery" etc. Well, they may be right about some squadrons but in my experience this was NOT the case. They really integrated me into everything, called me out when I screwed up, and supported me when I did well (even got a spot NAM). So those of you who are going to squadrons, it is not always "coffee running". Some of the other intel guys in the airwing do take on that role though, I must admit.

So, overall great tour. I'm looking forward to heading overseas next.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I created this thread about a few years ago. Since then, I am almost done with my first tour at a helo squadron. 1 deployment, full workups, many dets, etc. Got to do a lot of ASW stuff, a few dets with SPECWAR, HVBSS, CSAR, and even helo CAS.

Let me just say that it was a wonderful tour. I had a great time. I am very happy with my squadron. My squadron integrated me into all of their missions, PQS training, workup "scenerios", etc. I got to do countless intel briefings to the squadron and airwing. I got good constructive feedback.

During cruise I found my work in CVIC to be very interesting and eye-opening. I did time in every shop but mostly debriefing and SIAC.

The people who said "your first tour is one of misery" etc. Well, they may be right about some squadrons but in my experience this was NOT the case. They really integrated me into everything, called me out when I screwed up, and supported me when I did well (even got a spot NAM). So those of you who are going to squadrons, it is not always "coffee running". Some of the other intel guys in the airwing do take on that role though, I must admit.

So, overall great tour. I'm looking forward to heading overseas next.

I am assuming you were part of an HS squadron?

ironman5247

I was wondering if someone could walk me through a day in the life of a navy Intelligence officer (I usually ask the navy website one-on-one chat, but that is down on the weekends).

Also, what are my odds of successfully getting into the OCS with my Stats?
ASTB 41 3/3/3
GPA: 3.18 UNCCharlotte double major: Anthropology and Philosophy
-Persian heritage (know how to speak and understand some Farsi, otherwise illiterate)
-Japanese club for about a semester

P.S I plan on retaking the ASTB

Great school. I go there myself.