• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New guy with yet another question

Jay

In reality, 98% of the people get what they want first choice. That's because as soon as they start sucking in Primary, in order to save face in the end, they go around saying they've always wanted this, or always wanted that, that way, when you get the inevitable, "was that your first choice," you can always come back with a confident "YES". The other 2% never got the hint and still put J1 J2 down even with their 45 NSS.

Every Marine in my buddies helo class at Whiting wanted Jets, and they all think he's a head case for not picking them.

Personally, I look back often and wish I'd have gone any other platform, I'd have my wings with less butt pain.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Personally, I look back often and wish I'd have gone any other platform, I'd have my wings with less butt pain.

Jet pipeline is painful, but worth it. It gets better, trust me :D

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
In reality, 98% of the people get what they want first choice. That's because as soon as they start sucking in Primary, in order to save face in the end, they go around saying they've always wanted this, or always wanted that, that way, when you get the inevitable, "was that your first choice," you can always come back with a confident "YES". The other 2% never got the hint and still put J1 J2 down even with their 45 NSS.

Every Marine in my buddies helo class at Whiting wanted Jets, and they all think he's a head case for not picking them.

I find that I reduced my personal asshole quotient by nearly 50% by not trying to speak for other people. You should try it. You want to say that every other platform but jets is filled with extras from GEICO commercials, go ahead. Just don't tell me that I changed my mind because I was "sucking in Primary." You want to think that, come meet me in New River, and I'll show you my ATJ. Throw whatever elbows you want at me and helo/tiltrotor bubbas, but spare me the psychoanalysis.

MasterBates

I will add, from experience, that not saying your pipeline or even specific location/airframe was your #1 choice makes for a most uncomfortable silence when your new XO asks that when he interviews all JO's after the COC.

I have seen guys who I went thru flight school with claim they got their 1st choice in the HT's RAG and Fleet, when I know damn well they wanted E6's or P3's. But, saying your assigned community was your #1 choice does make life easier when dealing with respective communtity gung-ho types.

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will add, from experience, that not saying your pipeline or even specific location/airframe was your #1 choice makes for a most uncomfortable silence when your new XO asks that when he interviews all JO's after the COC.

I have seen guys who I went thru flight school with claim they got their 1st choice in the HT's RAG and Fleet, when I know damn well they wanted E6's or P3's. But, saying your assigned community was your #1 choice does make life easier when dealing with respective communtity gung-ho types.

both tragic and true.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You'll go far wishing you had taken an easier path....your squadron mates will love you....better fitreps for them...

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....Personally, I look back often and wish.....

Ahhhh, yes .... wishin' and hoping ... wishin' and hoping ...

I used to say ... "I wish" ...

Then ... the Navy's oldest LT B/N took me into his confidence and told me ... "you can wish in one hand and sh!t in the other .... now, little buddy, which one do YOU think is gonna fill up first ... ???" :eek:

He was right. As a result, I don't say .. "I wish" too much anymore ... and there's gotta be a lesson in there somewhere for all you Juniors.

I can only wish. And hope. :)

gtxc2001

See what the monkey eats, then eat the monkey
pilot
Contributor
But, saying your assigned community was your #1 choice does make life easier when dealing with respective communtity gung-ho types.

I've been wondering about this. I was a point off of making the jet cut (motivated 51, not that a 52 would have guaranteed jets anyway), and was a little bummed for about two days. After that I got over it and am really looking forward to learning to fly helos.

My initial reaction to the "was that what you wanted" question is to say wanted jets, but here I am and I'm excited to learn to fly helos. Is there really an issue with folks in the rotary community who can't handle that, or can the vast majority appreciate that you wanted one thing, but aren't going to be "that guy" all you life just because you didn't get it?

Too make a short question extremely long, OK to be honest, or just take the easy road and say "Of course I wanted helos!" ?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Too make a short question extremely long, OK to be honest, or just take the easy road and say "Of course I wanted helos!" ?

Honestly, no one gives a damn, as long as you're not "that guy."

I'm the last to BS anyone. The AVERAGE helo guy did not do as well as the AVERAGE jet guy in primary. As the same time, that doesn't mean that there aren't a lot of helo guys that had the grades to do jets but chose helos, because of the mission, personal reasons, their favorite color, or general heterosexual orientation. I don't have an issue with people saying the truth about the averages, only when someone implies that everyone in helos really wanted to be a jet pilot but couldn't. Sorry, just ain't so.

As long as you check in to HTs and to your fleet squadron ready to learn and kick ass, no one will have a problem with it. Just don't complain about coulda, woulda, shoulda, everytime someone mentions jets.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Is there really an issue with folks in the rotary community who can't handle that, or can the vast majority appreciate that you wanted one thing, but aren't going to be "that guy" all you life just because you didn't get it?

Agree with phrog. It really isn't an issue except the occasional "guy." It seems to be more of an issue for the jet SNAs then for anyone in the fleet. Kind of amusing, in a sad sort of way.

Junior

pilot
Agree with phrog. It really isn't an issue except the occasional "guy." It seems to be more of an issue for the jet SNAs then for anyone in the fleet. Kind of amusing, in a sad sort of way.
True story gator. There seems to be the group of "guys" here who have justify the tough training by thinking that the HTs are easy and don't train nearly as much. In my eyes it is all BS. Flight school is tough no matter what pipeline. Too many people get wrapped up in the "I had a better NSS so I must be a better pilot mentality." Everybody needs to realize that selections, in the end and outside the occasional phenom, are still largely a lottery. One week earlier and you could've been moving to South Park while a helo guy could've been driving to M-town. *This is by no means an excuse to not rockstar primary. Grades do matter, but the luck element is always there*
Don't be that guy and kick ass at your job regardless.

MasterBates

And if you kick ass at your job, and still want Jets, C2s, P8s, whatever, there is a way to switch if you still want it.

Kick ass in your first sea tour, once you are all qual'ed up apply to the "Warfare Specialty Transition Board". Much like in primary, it is luck and timing, but neither matters if the performance was not there.

Besides, the worst Pilot job is better than the best SWO job.