• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New guy with yet another question

Imperator

Marine Officer Candidate
I was wondering if any of you aviators can tell me which airframes are the most competitive. Basically, I want to know my odds of being selected for F/A 18's. This may be premature as I do not take my ASTB for another couple of weeks but My OSO seems to think I have a good enough shot based on everything else for selection. I guess I was just curious about the percentage of people going into the jet pipeline (how many try for and how many actually get selected). Any advice to increase chances for selection (besides "don't suck") would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I was wondering if any of you aviators can tell me which airframes are the most competitive. Basically, I want to know my odds of being selected for F/A 18's. This may be premature as I do not take my ASTB for another couple of weeks but My OSO seems to think I have a good enough shot based on everything else for selection. I guess I was just curious about the percentage of people going into the jet pipeline (how many try for and how many actually get selected). Any advice to increase chances for selection (besides "don't suck") would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Welcome to the site! You'll catch a lot of flak for this question but in the spirit of the holidays, check this out.

http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9933

UMichfly

pilot
None
Haha, I suggest you search for the phrase "What percent get" and you'll see how that question is received around here.

Merry Christmas :D

Dammit HD, you stole my thunder.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Aside from what others have said, since the F-18 is but a small percentage of the Marines' air assets, your chances of selecting them are pretty small. Statistically, you have a much better chance of flying helos.

Brett

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
What you should be asking is what % get P-3s, the very tip of the spear!

Uh, i've been out of primary for a while now so i don't have much I can add that's useful.

Welcome aboard, enjoy your stay and I hope you get what you want. Just PLEASE don't b!tch if you don't get what you want. Flying is cool, no matter what it is you fly.

Imperator

Marine Officer Candidate
Yeah thanks everyone, I didn't realize that that was a touchy question. I was just curous to know about how many people actually get what they want. I wasn't trying to offend or imply that one airframe was better than another. Just curious is all. As I said, I'm new to this site and just trying to learn.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Does being shorter help with jets? Someone told me it did.

For the love of God, please look around, use the search function, get a feel for the place before posting any more questions.

For the record though, I think you heard that having a shorter PENIS helps you get jets. :icon_wink

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
For the record though, I think you heard that having a shorter PENIS helps you get jets. :icon_wink

Actually, that's not true. It's FLYING jets that gives you a small penis. Just like flying P-3's fries your nuts and you only have girls. Simple science really.

:D

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, that's not true. It's FLYING jets that gives you a small penis. Just like flying P-3's fries your nuts and you only have girls. Simple science really.

:D

Someone has been enjoying the holiday 'Nog, I can see. :D

Brett

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot

Also, you have 0.00 % chance of getting jets if you don't get selected for Pilot/SNA first. I would be studying for the ASTB right now if I were you, but that's just me. ;)

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
My vote is the Cliff Note's book (as far as X-mas gifts the whole family can enjoy)!

Especially if you have that overly smart/engineer family member, watching people try to solve unsolvable problems is a blast. (In case you didn't know, the Cliff's note version has tons of typos and incorrect answers. Don't use it).

snake020

Contributor
The only way I heard of to get 18s guaranteed, you need to get a 3/3 or lower on your ASTB. I have an acquaintance that hangs out with a sister of a girlfriend of one of the guys who is en-route to in-processing before he gets into A-pool, and they were able to confirm that all the guys that got 18s in the last 6 months all had that in common. Hope that helps - Good hunting.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bart-google-thumb.gif

My favorite...:):):)