• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

new guy here

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
You guys are getting soft. Used to be when an FNG reported spouting these accomplishments, he was initially accused of being Skeeterman reborn.

Welcome aboard!

hi zip,
single seat single engine ? those f8/a4 guys usta get captured all the time in nvn.seems they couldn't escape and evade too well. they had to stop at each tree,take out their survival knife and carve,

" if you ain't single seat/ single engine. you ain't sh*t."

:)

thanks for the welcome...happy to be here.
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/34/103094897_a1dd26380d.jpg

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
Ed - welcome aboard. Nice to have another old F-4 RIO on board, and a Marine to boot.

I am sure our paths have crossed, in fact the name is familiar. We might have served together. I was with 232 feb70 - Jun 70 and then with 115 Jun 70-Feb 71.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
Ed - welcome aboard. Nice to have another old F-4 RIO on board, and a Marine to boot.

I am sure our paths have crossed, in fact the name is familiar. We might have served together. I was with 232 feb70 - Jun 70 and then with 115 Jun 70-Feb 71.

hey lovebug,
our paths most certainly did cross. i left 232 (iwakuni) in may of '70 for rvn checked into 314.
some names you should remember, john brent (saw him 2 years ago) , paul merana (worked with him at grumman), bill lapore. lesperance, harvey hargstrom. duck lendgren.
a photo with harvey haegstrom.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5300/5425655902_f92ce46dd5_z.jpg

harv was in my ocs class. saw him 20 years later at a tail hook convention in vagas. he had retired as a major. see lnk
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5217/5425066815_69e24b000a_z.jpg

Flugelman

Contributor
Welcome aboard Sir.

We were at Iwakuni at the same time. VP-1 deployed there '69-70 with dets in Cam Ranh Bay and Utapao.

Love your avatar, but have to wonder where you keep enuf gas to run that thing?:icon_tong

(Photoshop is your friend)

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
hey lovebug,
our paths most certainly did cross. i left 232 (iwakuni) in may of '70 for rvn checked into 314.
some names you should remember, john brent (saw him 2 years ago) , paul merana (worked with him at grumman), bill lapore. lesperance, harvey hargstrom. duck lendgren.
a photo with harvey haegstrom.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5300/5425655902_f92ce46dd5_z.jpg

harv was in my ocs class. saw him 20 years later at a tail hook convention in vagas. he had retired as a major. see lnk
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5217/5425066815_69e24b000a_z.jpg

Lots of familiar names on that list. Harvey was also from Utah. He and I had our photo taken and published in the local Salt Lake City paper. You know, one of those human interest stories by a local reporter. The boys serving their country etc.

You did have me a little confused with your comments in post #3 - about 7 Dec 69 playfullness and then being in country 5 days later.

Good to have you aboard :tongue2_1

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
for love bug,

re:
"You did have me a little confused with your comments in post #3 - about 7 Dec 69 playfullness and then being in country 5 days later."

you need to check the definition of 'sea story' :)
also, i think hank fortinberry was in either 115 or 122 at chulai.i saw hank 2 years ago at a tbs ((5-68) 40 year reunion.
do you remember when kurt wilbrecth was killed?
his rio was bill pepperI(deceased in 2000).

Lovebug201

standby, mark mark, pull
None
for love bug,

re:
"You did have me a little confused with your comments in post #3 - about 7 Dec 69 playfullness and then being in country 5 days later."

you need to check the definition of 'sea story' :)
also, i think hank fortinberry was in either 115 or 122 at chulai.i saw hank 2 years ago at a tbs ((5-68) 40 year reunion.
do you remember when kurt wilbrecth was killed?
his rio was bill pepperI(deceased in 2000).
No problems with the story, 5 days/5 months - thought maybe you type just like I do.

It does appear we crossed or near missed paths all along the way. TBS class 4-68 for me.

There is a post on another thread here someplace where if I recall the discussion was about moments you will always remember. I posted a little story about flying with a guy on a night AR when man walked on the moon, he was later KIA. That fine gentleman was Kurt. That incident happened before I got in country. I talked to Bill after the fact and the way he tells the story, they were hit by something large (for us) maybe a 50 while on a low-level nape run. Rounds taken in the front canopy. Kurt got enough of a pull up to let Bill successfully eject, not so fortunate for the front seat.

Kurt was a good guy. Went to a couple of NASCAR races with him & Newy when we were with 451 in Beaufort.

Bug

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Welcome Aboard Ed. Love the history in photographs!

Hey Mods, how bout we get the Marine some wings?

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ed did you ever fly with VF-301 or work on NAS Miramar in the late 80s?

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
Ed did you ever fly with VF-301 or work on NAS Miramar in the late 80s?

..hi schnugg,
in the late '80's i was flying out of calverton doing f14d development. pretty busy time. was privledged to have the first flight in the f14 a+ (later f14b) in '87 with kurt schroeder.
i think bill freckelton might have been flying with 301 about that time frame. bill worked with me in iran, '75-'78.

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
re:It does appear we crossed or near missed paths all along the way. TBS class 4-68 for me.

There is a post on another thread here someplace where if I recall the discussion was about moments you will always remember. I posted a little story about flying with a guy on a night AR when man walked on the moon, he was later KIA. That fine gentleman was Kurt. That incident happened before I got in country. I talked to Bill after the fact and the way he tells the story, they were hit by something large (for us) maybe a 50 while on a low-level nape run. Rounds taken in the front canopy. Kurt got enough of a pull up to let Bill successfully eject, not so fortunate for the front seat.

Kurt was a good guy. Went to a couple of NASCAR races with him & Newy when we were with 451 in Beaufort.

Bug,

i also flew with kurt in 451, skipper was a lt col gibson as i recall....pepper and i were at glynco at the same time. i believe he had been an sna.
you'll have to pm me your name, bug.
ed

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

i think bill freckelton might have been flying with 301 about that time frame. bill worked with me in iran, '75-'78.

Freckelton was in Isfahan? I must have missed that. He and I went through the F-4 RAG together, and more recently exchanged emails after many years.
You must also have known Hot Dog and Yossarian at TAFT, along with some others, yes?
PS: And Yakeley as NavPro?

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
still email ben and bill.and sure, i remember the dog.

you can find ben on facebook.

also remember spook yakely. he has a lt as navpro . did pretty well for himself :)
some other names,

bill lindner
vince lesh
smoke watts
miles pinneman
joe becker
bob walters
gary ferguson
tom ohara
there was one iran taft guy who wound up as a hostage in , don sharer. he had been a calverton navpro.
pretty sure he ended his career as a vf co

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
still email ben and bill.and sure, i remember the dog.

you can find ben on facebook.

also remember spook yakely. he has a lt as navpro . did pretty well for himself :)
some other names,

bill lindner
vince lesh
smoke watts
miles pinneman
joe becker
bob walters
gary ferguson
tom ohara
there was one iran taft guy who wound up as a hostage in , don sharer. he had been a calverton navpro.
pretty sure he ended his career as a vf co
Well it is a small world!

You and I must have crossed paths at least once, especially since I ferried one to the Shaw, once upon a time long ago. :eek:

flaps

happy to be here
None
Contributor
"You and I must have crossed paths at least once, especially since I ferried one to the Shaw, once upon a time long ago."
well, the iranian f14 crews weren't exactly outstanding by usn/usmc standards but they did do pretty well against the iraqis in the '80-'88 war. pretty good kill ratio (on the order of 15:1, i believe). a big part of that was due to the training provided by the grumman and the navy instructors. (takes a bow).