• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New guy here, FLARNG out of Cecil Field

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Ok, just a quick update. Halfway through week 2 at the airfield. I think I finally found the hover button today. At 11.7 hrs right now, getting prepped for the P1 checkride.

There's a hover button? Shit, no wonder I can never get it in the box the first time...

hobbstc

None
Just giving a quick sitrep. Passed my Primary checkride a week ago last Friday. TRADOC in its infinite wisdom had it scheduled so we checked 3 days after returning from Christmas break. Somehow I had my best flying day in a while. Ended up with 87 overall, which while not the highest in the class, it was in the top 1/3 so I'm ok with that. Started instruments last week and though most of my class is bored out of their minds in the simulators, I am really enjoying the challenge.

Marco

Hey guys, not sure the proper place to introduce myself here. I'm over at the NG BN stationed at Cecil Field. I've been the Asst S2 for the past 2 years, but now I am up at Ft Rucker for IERW. Just got home from SERE today (thank God), and find out tomorrow when I start primary. I'll be going through the -60M course and then when I get back home, they will send me to the -72 Lakota transition course. Good to meet all of you.

Thomas Hobbs

Welcome from one Florida Guard guy to another! I'm with the Air side of the house over at the 125th. Good luck with training! That Lakota is a sweet chopper!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
Lakota looks like a great SAR/MEDEVAC platform for civilian use, but does it have enough power for military applications?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Lakota looks like a great SAR/MEDEVAC platform for civilian use, but does it have enough power for military applications?

In talking with a few Lakota bubbas while I was at JKA, they like it. It's not meant to be used OCONUS, so it lacks survivability stuff that would be needed to go in theater. The ARH proposal would be to "militarize" it with weapons and other goodies.

hobbstc

None
Thanks Marco. Are you one of the -15 drivers over there?

wlawr005 - depending on who you ask, yes they are a bit underpowered. They can only carry 2-3 passengers for Medevac. Plus the Florida heat and humidity really take a toll on performance. It is nice having the doors off though...

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I think I read the engines are only rated at ~710 SHP...that's not a lot even before you start throwing people and equipment in there. Wonder how they are going to replace the Blackhawk with that little guy.

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
I think I read the engines are only rated at ~710 SHP...that's not a lot even before you start throwing people and equipment in there. Wonder how they are going to replace the Blackhawk with that little guy.

From what I understand, they aren't directly replacing the Blackhawk with the Lakota. It's more of a NG/homeland security asset that is there to augment the rotary assets in the states. This was/is a big issue (though less of one now that we're out of Iraq) since a number of the National Guard's birds were out of the country. In addition to that, it's significantly more efficient/economical to operate than the Blackhawk. By using off the shelf tech, and keeping it fairly simple, there is a lot of money to be saved using the Lakota over the Blackhawk in certain scenarios.