• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevew

Meridiani, I also spoke to my recruiter about the PRK waiver and he said that that too is submitted later so I don't think you should worry about that. BTW when you had your PRK did they use a VISX laser or an Autonomous laser? My Dr. offered me the option od which I want him to use to perform the surgery. I'm not sure about the selection procedure. My recruiter also told me that they select a certain amount of people based on district. However I was alsways under the impression that the board chose the most qualified applicants regardless of where they are from. -- dunno

Meridiani

Originally posted by stevew
Meridiani, I also spoke to my recruiter about the PRK waiver and he said that that too is submitted later so I don't think you should worry about that. BTW when you had your PRK did they use a VISX laser or an Autonomous laser?

Yeah, I was very relieved to hear that none of my MEPS records or PRK records were submitted when I talked to my recruiter yesterday. I thought that she had submitted my medical from MEPS without a PRK waiver, and I thought I was screwed. But evidently, no worries. As for the laser, I'm not sure which type my doc used on me, other than it was big, LOUD and scary.
bigeyes2_125.gif
I've read that it's not really that important which laser is used. My results have been good, though. Two months out from the surgery, and I'm seeing 20/15 in my left eye, and 20/25 out of my right. I hope it stays good!! When did you have PRK?

stevew

Stacy,

I took my ASTB a year ago, at the time the Navy was aching for pilots and my scores were fine for that. However, my vision was beyond the requirements for the Navy to grant a PRK wiaver. Your vision couldn't be worse than -5.50 mine was. In June the Navy changed the requiremnts allow a refraction error of up to -8.00 which covers me, so now I can get it. The problem now is that it has become more competitive to get in so I still have to retake my ASTB and when I see that my scores are competitive enough (my recruiter suggested 7's and 8's if I wanna have a chance) I'll have the PRK done then.

Status
Not open for further replies.