• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New Format

Status
Not open for further replies.

bart27

I recently submitted my package based on what my recruiter is calling the new format. This package included Test Scores, Transcripts, App, Letters of Rec, Premliminary Security Questionnaire and I think thats it. I am supposed to wait on doing my PRT and going to MEPS until I hear back from the "board" as to which of my 3 choices I was selected for. Supposedly, the goal is to cut down on cost and waisting not only our time but also the Navy's. Has anyone else submitted a package under the same guidelines or have I simply been hosed? Does anyone who has submitted under this format know the wait time for hearing back from the board? Is everyone familiar with this or is this not being used by all recruiters?

jrklr

I don't beleive it's being used by all recruiters. I'm sending everything in all at once and they'll let me know the final yay or nay

rhollin1

I don't think that this is true. Tennessee looks at your physical conditioning as part of your overall package. Your recruiter probably knows that you won't be accepted so he doesn't want waste his or your time. (that's not a personal attack) The Navy has pretty much shut the door on accepting anyone right now. They have been overwhelmed with applicants and OCS is full for now.

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

http://www.geocities.com/ronhollin/

bart27

If my PRT is such an important part and you don't think this format is being used, then who was my package sent to...a ghost board? Why would my recruiter screw me over that bad? Any thoughts? If I am not accepted, it would be b/c the Navy is full and not b/c my package was weak. By this I don't mean to sound arrogant. I think its funny how a current Prowler pilot told me that the Navy is always in need of pilots, but everyone else says the program is closed.

ghost_ttu

They are in need of rated pilots. Unfortunately going through OCS you are only a SNA, and on a long road to becoming rated.

"praying to the SNA board gods couldn't hurt....Didn't say it always works though"

NuSnake

Keep in mind, alot of people posting on this board are NOT IN THE NAVY!!! What is said here IS GOOD alot of the time, however don't take what anybody says here as God's honest truth. The only way to know for sure that everything is closed up is by submitting a good package and getting shot down, but nothing is keeping you from applying again at a later date. Just my 2 cents, but I think what I said does apply.

hawk

I am also in the same situation. My recruiter says that we have to send in the advanced documents first, and when the board gives the ok, we have 30 days to send in all the final paperwork, including the PRT and trip to MEPS.

bart27

Hawk: Thank god there is someone else in the same boat! I was beginning to wander if i got hosed. Have you sent in your advanced docs yet? Did your recruiter give you any idea as to when you might hear back after your initial package goes out? My pack went out last week...I'd be happy to let you what I experience.

hawk

I haven't sent in my documents yet - still waiting on those letters of rec to come in. It looks like the earliest I'll be submitting is January, although I'm debating whether I should wait longer until it seems like there are more openings. After reading all these posts it seems like timing is just as important as your package! My recruiter is trying to schedule my trip to MEPS and says I can take the PRT whenever I want. I guess he's hopeful that I'll pass the advanced docs stage. Something seems kind of shady though because he told me he's still waiting on word when he can start submitting applications for 2004! I don't know how long you have to wait until you hear back, but hopefully you'll hear soon because I know the wait is horrible. What are you applying for? I applying for SNA.

rhollin1

I hope I didn't offend anyone with my post. It is true that there are some things that get send within 30 days "after" being accepted. I know you have to have references from all the employers in the last 3 years. But do know that as we speak, the minimums to get accepted have gone up extremely. My recruiter has told me many times that a better PRT WILL improve your changes of getting accepted. That's the reason I retook it (twice). I don't think he would be wasting his time with having me redo the PRT.

Pain...is weakness leaving the body

http://www.geocities.com/ronhollin/

bart27

It was my understanding that 2003 is full for many positions and therefore recruiters are already submitting and/or working on apps for 2004. You might want to verify this through another recruit or a post. Timing is definitely important...had I applied to the Navy instead of dinking around with the AF last spring, I would have a SNA slot. At least I'd like to think so. I applied for SNA, SNFO, and Intell. What else are you considering?

bart27

rhollin: I am confused...first you said that the new format does not exist, but at least one person has verified that it does. Then you go on to say that some things do get submitted later after being accepted. I'm not trying to back you into a corner...I'm merely trying to figure out how the Navy is going about things.

hawk

For the moment I'm just considering SNA, although lately I've also been thinking about SNFO and intel as well. I agree with rhollin that a good PRT is extremely important. Hey rhollin, can you take the prt as many times you want or does it just depend on your recruiter? Do they count your better score or the most recent one?

psrogers

Intel Officer
bart27 & hawk:

I too am in the same situation, applying for intel. I submitted my application about three weeks ago and my recruiter tells me that I should hear back soon, whatever that means. My package included the ASTB scores, rec's, transcript, MEPS results (though they may not have been necessary, but I had it done anyway).

The above is definitely true. The following is only what I remember from conversations with my recruiter, who I basically trust right now (he ran with me on my PRT and got me to run the fastest mile time in my entire life= good recruiter). He says that for some reason the Navy has not filled intel and crypto for '03, which might be the only groups left open. Furthermore PRT is very important, especially for pilots. Finally, as to the new application process, your initial application will be either 'professionally recommended' or not by the boards it goes to, which means you basically are accepted, assuming you pass MEPS and PRT or whatever you have left. LT CMDR Geers (aka my recruiter) also mentioned that under this new system, you app goes to all your chosen boards simultaneously, for example SWO and intel in my case, and you may be either chosen or rejected for all or none, which he admitted seems inefficient and might lead to future problems, and he is curious to see how it will work out.

In conclusion, I am not in the Navy, am lowly gossiper, working from memory. Hopefully my knowledge did not mutate in my head, though it has been known to do so on occasion, and will contribute to, rather than impair, the progress and dissmenination of accurate knowledge on this site.

bart27

psrogers: Thanks for the input...if you are accepted to all three based on what you say then how does the Navy decide which occupation to select you for? Is it based on need?

Status
Not open for further replies.