• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New BAH policy...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I can't imagine why it would count as a permanent duty station, given what you guys are saying about USNA and ROTC grads' time at their respective campuses not counting as a permanent duty station.

I may be misunderstanding what gtg means, but ROTC and Academy have never (in the last 10 + years) counted as a PDS unless you were PCSed to their for some reason. The only reason would be a med hold. I had this happen to me, so I got PCSed to API, but otherwise your orders to flight school (for non-priors) are appointment orders and not PCS orders, which is why your ROTC/Academy is not your PDS.

If I'm misunderstanding the statement, then disregard, but the above is true.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
What I'm saying is that it doesn't make sense to consider OCS a permanent duty station if you don't consider ROTC or USNA a permanent duty station. All are commissioning sources.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
What I'm saying is that it doesn't make sense to consider OCS a permanent duty station if you don't consider ROTC or USNA a permanent duty station. All are commissioning sources.

Copy all. What you're saying makes sense. Therefore it can't possibly be true.

Praying4OCS

Helo Bubba to Information Warrior
pilot
Contributor
.......I was prior enlisted before OCS, so now not only am I getting my BAH back, I'm gonna get it (and back paid from my commissioning date) equivilent to my last duty station's rate - San Diego.

So, if you are prior and maintain the current duty station rate, when does it change? After first PCS to Whiting, CC or Vance? That would mean, current rate through OCS, IFS and API. Correct? What if your married?

Tom

pilot
Contributor
A married person gets BAH all the time (the whole family to support thing).

gtg941f

pilot
ROTC & USNA don't get BAH while attending school, do they?

The reason why I figure BDCPers should continue getting full BAH is because they get it throughout school so after receiving it for up to 2 years (BDCP max) + 3 months (OCS), it seems absurd that there is a time where PSD randomly decides that we don't warrant the pay. Having been stationed at an NRD, i don't know why they don't consider that a PDS. I'd actually like to know what they class it as (I don't believe it can be temp duty if longer than 6 months, right?)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Having been stationed at an NRD, i don't know why they don't consider that a PDS.

I would guess because you being "stationed" there is part of your appointment orders. I'm a little fuzzy on how the orders thing works for OCS/BDCPers, but you haven't been "stationed" there unless you've been PCSed.

get it throughout school so after receiving it for up to 2 years (BDCP max) + 3 months (OCS), it seems absurd that there is a time where PSD randomly decides that we don't warrant the pay.

If anything, I think you could argue the contrary. After living high on the hog and having little to no military responsibility, why not join the suck? But I understand your point.

gtg941f

pilot
I would guess because you being "stationed" there is part of your appointment orders. I'm a little fuzzy on how the orders thing works for OCS/BDCPers, but you haven't been "stationed" there unless you've been PCSed.

If anything, I think you could argue the contrary. After living high on the hog and having little to no military responsibility, why not join the suck? But I understand your point.

Noted. :) I still can't help but be a little bothered by this.

Praying4OCS

pilot
Contributor
A married person gets BAH all the time (the whole family to support thing).

I understand, but when does tha amount change? If you are a prior your first PCS orders come after OCS and API, correct? Essentially, that would mean one (married) would maintain the same rate from his/her previous duty station until PCS'd to Primary (Whiting), correct?

Thanks

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Married SNA's get PCS orders to API because they have follow on to Whiting. It saves the Navy money. All SNFO's get PCS orders to API because all of their training is in NASP.

Praying4OCS

pilot
Contributor
Married SNA's get PCS orders to API because they have follow on to Whiting. It saves the Navy money. All SNFO's get PCS orders to API because all of their training is in NASP.

Thanks Tom, for the clarification.

NegativeKelvin

For anyone still fighting through the transient BAH issue with PSD Pensacola, I called down there today and it seemed like the key was the accession number on my orders. If you have ACC #342 you'll get the full BAH, if you have #341 you're in for a little more of a fight.

I'm not sure why this is exactly, but I had 342 so I stopped asking questions when I was told that my money's back on its way to my wallet.

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I too was worried about the Navy wanting money back for the following reasons:

At my ROTC unit I was paid full BAH because I was working on active duty at the unit and orders were stamped with govt quarters not available. I was worried that I was supposed to get BAH II because it was my ascession point.

The lovely PSD lady in charge of the API students explained to me that because I was "working" at my unit I received full BAH. That established a prior BAH rate so I also got it in API. Keep in mind this was September.

I took initiative to ensure the pay was straight and PSD would not Repo the new car. If they try to come back on this Im going straight up the chain. If you get Whiting the TW-5 command climate is very condusive in helping solve any problems you may have as an SNA.

Still no flight pay after reporting in December.

Nomar116

pilot
The advice I was given by a credible source was to wait it out. PSD Pensacola is under investigation as has been previously stated because they have really screwed this all up. Once you have follow-on orders and report to the wing it should be much easier to sort out what you are and are-not entitled to.

I don't know if this is much help to those of you who have several months left down here receiving BAH Transit and NOT receiving Per Diem. My advice is to keep going in until you ARE receiving Per Diem as I continue to believe we are entitled it.