• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

New BAH policy...

red_ryder

None
Isn't this the same policy that was coming about for Academy stashes up in Annapolis last year?

The question to ask PSD is to show you the message and/or instruction that authorizes this. Then you can go research what it says and go from there. Also, share the knowledge so the next guy won't get screwed/is expecting to get screwed.

Great! Thanks for the tip!

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Isn't this the same policy that was coming about for Academy stashes up in Annapolis last year?

The question to ask PSD is to show you the message and/or instruction that authorizes this. Then you can go research what it says and go from there. Also, share the knowledge so the next guy won't get screwed/is expecting to get screwed.

I am not sure how this is legal. Can someone cite an instruction or a rule saying it is? Just curious.

a2b2c3

Mmmm Poundcake
pilot
Contributor
Yeah they started all this up in 2006. But then it was only if you were stuck around Annapolis. When you went to P-cola they gave you the full BAH. Guess they need to save more money now... Still you should get some kind of per diem since it's not permanent. We all did then. Wasn't too much but it was a nice little boost upon getting to primary.

Bottom line the idiot who came up with BAH II needs to be shot.

Yeah, that's the name, BAH II. Ask them about that. At least that's what it was called when it was new and started fucking the first of us over.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
From http://www.defenselink.mil/militarypay/pay/bah/02_types.html

"BAH-II (RC/T) is the housing allowance for members in particular circumstances, for example, reservists on active duty less than 30 days. It also applies when a member is in transit from selected areas where no prior BAH rate existed. It does not vary by geographic location. BAH-II (RC/T) was set based on the old Basic Allowance for Quarters (BAQ), which was based on the national average for housing. BAH-II is published annually and is determined by increasing the previous year's table by the percentage growth of housing costs."

Seems more than sketchy that they are trying to make this cover P'Cola.

The Muffin Man

Makes sense. When I was enlisted I know I scraped off a bunch of money from BAH each month - had 5 people living in a 3 bedroom place. Was looking forward to the extra money again after commissioning - guess this isn't the case for a little while.

-Am I right to assume that this only applies until you start IFS or API?

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
I am in the same boat as you and will be getting Per Diem backdated once I get to my "final duty station" ie, Corpus. I had to argue with PSD for hours and then talk to my chain of command. It'll suck for a few weeks but you'll be in API before you know it.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I am not sure how this is legal. Can someone cite an instruction or a rule saying it is? Just curious.

I'm not saying it's legal, either. But if there's got to be a paper trail that started this for SNA/SNFOs, and that's the place to start.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Makes sense. When I was enlisted I know I scraped off a bunch of money from BAH each month - had 5 people living in a 3 bedroom place. Was looking forward to the extra money again after commissioning - guess this isn't the case for a little while.

I'm pretty sure I got the same BAH when I was in primary...didn't change until after I moved away...I think.

Remember that BAH is based on a formula that basically gives O-4s and O-3Es the average mortgage payment for the median home price in the Zip of the base that you're stationed at. The payments are then downgraded from there.

I was not PCSed to PCola until AFTER i finished API...and by then a PCS is pretty much useless...Sucks...but they've been doing this a while.

~D

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
hmmm...I should check about up here in annapolis then...seems like it doesn't make a difference now whether I get stashed here or in p'cola, cause I'll get screwed either way. :icon_rage

rugby mike

How bout this one? I was a reservist who ended an active duty tour on 20OCT07 but then started OCS 03NOV07 without a full 30 day break in service, which I have been told makes it contineous service. On this technacality should I receive the full BAH rate? Even my DD214 shows no break since 20JUL07 till now

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan

No, probably until you finish API and complete your PCS to Corpus, Whiting or Vance.

bb1125

None
I think this is where they're coming from: JFTR, section 10416. I think the per diem everyone had been getting was due to a certain civilian at PSD trying to work the system. Makes no difference to me, I'm prior and married.:DTough luck guys.

D. New Accessions. BAH-T applies to a member without dependents in the accession pipeline, to include a Reserve Component member undergoing initial training, when in a travel status, leave en route or proceed time while transferring from the initial entry training location, between training locations and to the first PDS. BAH-T applies until the member reports to the new PDS. A member in the accession pipeline includes a:

*NOTE: Service academy and ROTC graduates without dependents, who remain at the graduation/ commissioning location following graduation and commissioning before proceeding to another duty station and are not assigned Government quarters, are authorized a housing allowance at the without-dependents rate for the graduation/ commissioning location through the day prior to departure en route to the training location. If the officer acquires dependents, the officer’s housing allowance with-dependent rate becomes based on the dependents’ location effective the date dependents are acquired.

1. Member who is undergoing initial entry training, to include a Reserve Component member;

2. Student (includes ROTC and OCS) without prior Military Service; See NOTE above.

3. Service Military Academy graduate upon graduation, until arrival at the first PDS. See NOTE above.

For the purpose of BAH only, the initial entry-training site is defined as a PDS. A member without dependents is not authorized BAH since Government quarters are assigned. The BAH rate for a new accession with dependents is based on the dependents’ location if they are located inside the U.S. If dependents are located outside the U.S., BAH is based on the training site location.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
:DEnter intoa civil union with your roomate...that will solve it.....agreed with everyone else.....ASK LOTS of questions and document everything....also, if they say they are going to call you back....call them back...better yet visit them and sit at their desk until your problem is resolved...PSD Pcola is quite possibly the worst run PSD in the Navy IMO.