• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEW ASTB Overview

prwt2

Just took the ASTB (February 20, 2007)

Hello Everyone:
I just took the ASTB test earlier this week and I wanted to share my observations with all of you. First let me give you a brief overview of what I brought to the exam. I am a complete civilian with no military experience whatsoever. I am currently in finance but am desperately looking for something more meaningful and challenging.

On top of having no exposure to aviation or nautical stuff, I was also a history major in college. I haven't seen anything having to do with mechanics since I was in high school. So my experience is one of the "walk on" with nothing more than my wits and my resolve.

Here are my observations:

In order to prepare I purchased both the Arco and the Cliff Notes. I am just going to say right now that the Cliff Test Prep book was a complete waste of time and money. The math and verbal portion was relevent to the actual test but the mechanics portions were absolutely ridiculous. The Cliff book set me off on a wild goose chase to understand the kinetic energy of a spring, the trigonometric functions involved with torque, and the gravitational constant needed to establish weights. You have 30 seconds to answer the mechanics problems. Even trying to understand these technical problems will only divert you from other easier topics that will be on the test. The Arco book for the most part was helpful. The Math and Verbal portions are actually harder in the book than the actual test but the mechanics is a mixed bag.

Verbal:

The verbal portion of the test consisted entirely of reading Comprehension. There were NO questions involving fixing the faulty word in a quote or filling in the appropriate word in a sentence. The reading questions were mostly straightforward although they did get a bit vague in parts.

Math:
Pretty straightforward for the most part. If you do the Arco Math prep stuff and drill down into the stuff that gives you trouble you should be fine. FOR THOSE OF YOU THAT HAVE A HARD TIME WITH WORD PROBLEMS: I found a very good book at the library called "How to Solve Word Problems in Algebra." It is short, concise, and does a very good job of translating words into numerical relationships. I highly recommend it.

Mechanical:

This section is a bit of a crap shoot for the amateur. Without a whole lot of science background, you just have to pick and choose and try to stay competitive. I found that I spent too much time on pulleys, levers, mechanical advantage, and force and should have made more time for steam, heat, and buoyancy. I had no idea what saturated steam was. It is a mile long and an inch deep. Try to keep yourself spread thin across the material.

Spatial Apperception:

Exactly as it appears in the Arco Flight Aptitude book. Again, as a complete novice, I developed two rules of thumb for quickly interpreting the pictures. #1 Horizon. If the horizon is above halfway in the picture box, the plane is diving. At halfway, it is level. Below halfway, a climb. #2 Direction. The direction of the turn at first seems counterintuitive. I mentally drew an arrow coming off the upward slant of the horizon to remind me of the direction.

Aviation/Nautical/Aviation Supplement

This is another area that is difficult to fill in with absolutely no other experience. I had to use the questions as my sole guide into this new world, so if it didn't show up in my Arco tests or the Marine gouge, I had no idea. I did check out an aviation encyclopedia and for everything I didn't know, I looked it up for a more comprehensive answer than the one sentence definition in the back of the exam.Lots of questions that I don't remember. I just know that there were 17 Apollo missions and not 18! The aviation supplement was a mixture of all the previous sections.

Finally, I found that I did have enough time on all the sections and even had some time left over to scrutinize my responses at the end. I took the test in a storage closet of the Recruiters which wasn't the most comfortable spot but that's how it goes.

My score: 7-6-7 61. I hope that doesn't totally discredit my advice. I was a little disappointed but my recruiter said it was highly competitive for Intel and that is all that matters.

Good Luck everybody and I hope to see you at OCS.

FUPaladin

couldabeen
I'm also applying for Intel, and I'm pretty sure that all they really care about for us is the OAR. I also have no Navy experience, so the Aviation & Nautical Information section was difficult for me as well, but only the first three sections count towards the OAR, so I don't think it even mattered.

OCCY23

Quick Question,

I was looking at the syllabus for API and there is a block of time for the ASTB. Does this mean we take the ASTB during API? I ask this question because I'm an AF guy headed to Pensacola/Whiting for API and primary, and i never took the ASTB.

schwarti

Contributor
Question about OAR grading - do they find the percent correct in each section, average them, and then take that?

For example, I just took a practice (math, verbal, mech.) and got 60%, 94%, and 60% respectively. Now, I'm terrible at math, but if you average those you get 71.3 repeating percent. Round that to 71. OAR scores are between 20-80, so that's 60; 71 percent of 60 is 42.3, add 20 to put it back in the actual range and that's a 62.3. With only 60%s on the math and mechanical sections, is it possible that I actually did that well on the practice?

WishICouldFly

UO Future Pork Chop
That wouldn't make sense because what if someone happened to get 100% on all of the sections? if the OAR is out of 80, then that's not possible.

But I'm sure it's some sort of composite of all of the sections...

schwarti

Contributor
If someone got 100% on all of the sections, they'd average all three sections - making 100% again, which would give you an 80 out of 80. I'm confused where the problem is. Damn my liberal arts degree!

staff03

dont know if this is the right place to post this but, i was curious if anyone knows how similiar/different or more/less difficult the afoqt is compared to the astb? also, are the selection criteria similar for both services. for example, if you have the same package submitted to both services all other things being equal is there one that is flat out harder to get into? thanks

MotoZuki

Prior to growing a nut-sac and realizing the undeniable and inevitable truth that the aviation community within the Navy is far superior to that of the AF, I looked into the AFOQT. That said, here's what I found in the ARCO study guide.

It appears that the AFOQT is a great deal longer and somewhat more complex than the ASTB. There are mind games and puzzles along with your standard mechanical comp, reading comp, etc. Being a math teacher, I noticed that the math section is a bit more complex as well. It expects an understanding of not only Alg-1, but also quite a bit of Alg-2. There is a reason the AF is full of nerds.

Moto

MotoZuki

I was waiting for that response:) An understanding of math is not necessarily directly proportional to the nerdiocity of the understander. However, it does have a direct relationship to the ability to kick A$$ on the ASTB.

Moto (ex-math teacher, current officer candidate - SNA)

RickyRodriguez

Hey Everyone,

New to airwarriors and sending greetings from Miami, Florida.
I am taking the ASBT tomorrow...let's see how it goes...
good luck to all!

Peace,

Ricky