• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

NEW ASTB Overview

AppleCello

Calling on all folks who have taken the ASTB. Big question of the day is this. Has anyone weak in math (ie. is good with practical stuff but not an equation master) still get respectable scores on the test. I have been out of school for almost 8 years and needless to say a little nervous.

Thanks

Airborne

THat sounds like me. I was never in accelerated math courses in high school or college. I got through algebra and geometry with B's and struggled through college calculus with a C+. I had no toruble with anything conceptually. In fact, I had a GREAT handle on the concepts but I would constantly fumble the procedural aspects of running equations, misplace values in balancing etc.

So while I'm not BAD at math, It has always been far from my strength. Just study the test like all the advice here says to and you will do fine. I took the ASTB just once and scored a 777 59.

Get the ARCO books from borders or barnes&noble and get busy!

garlew

Hey I just took the test on the 25 of July and havent used any algebra in 7 years. I when to www.math.com and just took some free online courses, They are pretty basic, but it seemed to help refresh. Also you can go to www.testprepreview.com/asvab_practice.htm

You can take practice test, I know it is for the asvab but the questions are very similar.

Hope this helps.

Hey thanks for the info. How did you end up doing on the test? Was the math portion the hardest part of the test for you?

Airborne

DagoRed

I scored a 8/9/7 62, The math and reading part ain't to bad, the ARCO book is really not that great for the reading. I felt prepared for the math just studying the ASTB gouge and the websites posted above. I didn't finish the math or the reading, the last 30 second I just guessed on the remaining questions. The mechinical and aviation stuff was pretty easy, but I have some background in aviation that really seemed to help.

Cavrone

J-Hooah
pilot

I studied the Arco and Cliff notes books as well as goggleing aviation and nautical information on the web. My first try I got an 8 8 9. Make sure you take all the practice tests you can and study the sections you have the most difficulty in.

Cleve

This is NOT new information. Whereas it is helpful, it has already been mentioned on this site. The title of this thread is false advertising.

charlesrisner

Hello, I am wondering in which order I should start studying information for the test? I have no flight history and I have never studied aviation or any naval background/history or terms. I have my test soon and I really want to hit the ground running with my test prep, but when there are just links upon links it can get tedious really fast. If anyone can give me a step by step order of what things I should study and the links to each thing and cover all of the things that I will need to know it would be very helpful.

I have read all the posts in this discussion and checked out a lot of stuff that has been listed and it all has been great but I want a more tailored list if that makes sense.

Also, what are the BEST books to check-out/buy and why? Is there one that stands above the rest for all categories or do certain books cover certain topics better than others? The more detailed the explanation the better and thank you in advance!

Charles

badger16

None
arco would be the book to buy...go to the columbia page that is all over this site if you search ASTB...and that will give you a wonderful overview of what you need to look at in order to get ready for the test...and one more thing...DO NOT USE CLIFF NOTES! good luck!

egolnick

You guys just relieved a heck of a lot of anxiety...thank you so much for this info. any of you guys come down this way I owe you a drink.

htj

Final Select SNA -- January 5 OCS
Unused study materials

Hey all -- anyone have the ARCO or Cliff's books around that you aren't planning on using anymore?

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
My recruiter told me the grading system was as follows:

OAR: 70 points possible
AQR: 8 points possible
PFAR: 8 points possible
FOFAR: 8 points possible

I thought OAR was 80, and the rest were 9. Has this been changed?

Conaway

As far as I know the max is 80/9/9/9. I had a 65/8/9/9, so 9s are definitely possible.

ARCO and the columbia site will both tell you it in fact ranges from 20/1/1/1 - 80/9/9/9. God save the man's soul who scores the 20/1/1/1. Haha. So this is right.