• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"New" Air Force CSAR Helicopters

suasponte

Sit down, shut up and don't touch nothin'
None
My SIP is infamous for fighting with the CAAS... and losing every time.

3rdgenav8tor

Woot
None
My dad is one of those former A/L model drivers..... He said the technology is nice, but he wouldn't want to touch the M model to save his life. As I quote him the other day "I wanna see an airspeed dial, not a digital readout!" A couple of my high school buddies who went to WOFT after college are in love with CAAS, but then again the generation gap plays a big factor now.

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
From what I hear in the Army community, you have a lot of grey beards that flew the Alpha and Lima models who are having a very hard time making the adjustment from the steam gauges to the new MFDs.
Having been a T-37 IP who transitioned to the T-6 and an H-46 guy who transitioned to the MH-60S, I didn't have a problem. But I had less than 1,000 hours in each old type. It might have sucked a little more if I was a 5,000 hour steam gauge guy. I will say this...when I'm chasing electronic altitudes and airspeeds in the 60S (especially right seat on a left downwind), I sometimes ditch the Flight Display and reference the standby (analog) altimeter and airspeed indicators.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
My dad is one of those former A/L model drivers..... He said the technology is nice, but he wouldn't want to touch the M model to save his life. As I quote him the other day "I wanna see an airspeed dial, not a digital readout!" A couple of my high school buddies who went to WOFT after college are in love with CAAS, but then again the generation gap plays a big factor now.

The 60M does not have a CAAS cockpit. See attached image for an idea what our primary flight display (PFD) looks like.

The photo is very busy and is not representative of what we see all of the time. Many notices and symbols are present in the photo that are not normally there. The thing I want to emphasize is that there esssentially ARE round gauges on our display. The big items, AIRSPEED, ALTITUDE and HEADING are shown in a way that our "old gray minds" can quickly interpret while the engine instruments are in the familiar VIDS type of display. But even for the old guys, the A, L and M all have the same HUD display.

I'll bet your father sure would enjoy a moving map display instantly available vs folding and unfolding maps.

Attachments

• 60mPFD.JPG
    60mPFD.JPG
    101.2 KB · Views: 31