• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"New" Air Force CSAR Helicopters

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Does it really matter where they come from? As long as they come to get me before I get my head cut off on Al Jazeera, I really don't care.

The CV-22s are with AFSOC--they primarily do infil/exfil of the various flavors of specops.

The H-60s are with ACC--they're the ones who are supposed to come get you. I can see why they'd want to stay with one type of helo, but I can see a greater chance of needing an H-47's high/hot capability than having to fit in an area that a 60 could get in but a 47 could not.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
But everyone has the mighty CR-2 :) (batteries never run out but then it doesn't work so good in the dark)

phrogpilot73

But everyone has the mighty CR-2 :) (batteries never run out but then it doesn't work so good in the dark)
That's what lip lights are for! I still have a CR-2 in my kneeboard, and get my balls busted non-stop about it... However, I was the only one in the flight that could say what my burn rate was, and that I could get to Las Vegas, NM if Tucumcari didn't have gas for us (there was honest-to-god tumbleweed rolling across the runway when we landed)...

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
You poor saps...working with such old technology! Join the 90s. We have a fuel burn rate calculator in the M model that is almost as powerful as a pre-iPhone cell phone. We even have four PCMCIA slots for up to 8 gb of data and maps.:icon_wink

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
You poor saps...working with such old technology! Join the 90s. We have a fuel burn rate calculator in the M model that is almost as powerful as a pre-iPhone cell phone. We even have four PCMCIA slots for up to 8 gb of data and maps.:icon_wink

One would think that with all the crap fixed wing guys get, helo guys could at least get a moving map or something more current/useful than late 1980's technology in a "new" helo in 2010.

Lawman

None
One would think that with all the crap fixed wing guys get, helo guys could at least get a moving map or something more current/useful than late 1980's technology in a "new" helo in 2010.

We've got the Moving Map in the Apache, and its loaded with multiple maps, can give sat image up to certain resolutions and even tells you which 1:50K map your using so you can tell the guy on the ground whether or not your on the same map. The TSD even tells me current winds, and gives me specific threat rings for any Air Defence out there and generic rings for anything we dont have loaded.

Add to that the two seperate computers both capable of running the system independently so if one goes down my mission capability isnt degraded any.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
However, I was the only one in the flight that could say what my burn rate was, and that I could get to Las Vegas, NM if Tucumcari didn't have gas for us (there was honest-to-god tumbleweed rolling across the runway when we landed)...

Was no one else capable of turning on their cell phone and just using a calculator?

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None

We do have moving maps in the M. But, keeping with the theme of outdated technology, we do not have a /G capable GPS until a software upgrade comes that provides a noncorruptible DAFIF and more than 99 waypoints.

"Features" include: You cannot reverse a route. You can currently store only two flight plans, and....drum roll...all COM and NAV presets, as well as routes and flight plans are erased once ac power is removed from the aircraft.

So, you do a long cross country f;ight copnsisting of multiple legs and multiple days and you have to start your flight plan over, sequence through all of the previous waypoints, and start where you left off on the previous leg...all after getting up on the APU and starting some fuel consumption against your already short 2.5 hour endurance.

Lawman

None
Thats pretty crappy considering we can do all those needed functions in the Blk I Longbow and god only knows what new and awesome features will happen with Blk III next year.

I can reverse routes with very little button pushing. I can load multiple mission sets on the DTC. And I can make edits and changes to my route/coms/etc while in the air and use the Thru Flight function after shutting down and restarting so long as I hit the button within 60 seconds of APU start.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Do you ever fly IFR in the Apache? I thought it could only do ADF approaches, anyway...

Not sure, but so I've been told.

Lawman

None
Do you ever fly IFR in the Apache? I thought it could only do ADF approaches, anyway...

Not sure, but so I've been told.

Currently its not IFR certified, because it only has an ADF. It has all the equipment neccesary to do GPS IFR, but since it lacks a VOR the FAA wont certify it and its not really a big concernt. The Kiowa doesnt have IFR capability either for the same reason. Blk III Longbow has dual VORs though and is fully IFR capable.

highside7r

None

Agree, the Army did give us a netbook type kneeboard called the EDM (Think poor man's Ipad). One can download maps from FalconView and send texts via our Blue Force Tracker. It's slow, but works and many guys like it. I for one would prefer just adding the same MFD the Seahawk has, at least something to help with basic SA.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
Agree, the Army did give us a netbook type kneeboard called the EDM (Think poor man's Ipad). One can download maps from FalconView and send texts via our Blue Force Tracker. It's slow, but works and many guys like it. I for one would prefer just adding the same MFD the Seahawk has, at least something to help with basic SA.

highside7r,

You got to get a look at the M model. It has way better moving map capability than the Seahawk (except maybe the Romeo). The /G capability will be out soon with a software upgrade, probably within a year.

BTW, if any of you are going to be at the Flagler airshow in Florida next weekend, we will have one of our HH-60Ms there. Stop by and say "Hi".

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
You got to get a look at the M model. It has way better moving map capability than the Seahawk (except maybe the Romeo).

No moving map on the R or S (minus the kneeboard POS). There are a couple routes forward, and money has been talked about, but nothing on contract.