• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Netflix recommendations?

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
I just finished watching Mad Men and Peaky Blinders, those are two really enjoyable shows for entirely different reasons. Mad Men is great because of the focus on core characters, their daily struggles followed by defeats and victories, and how the world changes around them in the 50s and 60s. Peaky Blinders is great because it's about a slum gypsy criminal family rising from low level racketeering after WWI to vast wealth with international business in England, and it focuses on a cast of a family of devilish and fun characters who use various (and usually violent) strategies to undermine and defeat their many enemies as the story progresses through the 1920s. I hope it gets another season.

But now I'm looking for another show, I was thinking of House of Cards or Sopranos but if anybody has another Netflix recommendation I would like to hear it.
Ozark

Notanaviator

Contributor
Ozark for sure, although starts getting real dark down the road. Watching Yellowstone right now, not Netflix but been fairly entertaining most of the way through the first season. Billions and Succession are both terrific, also not Netflix, but worth borrowing a buddy’s login. Don’t judge a book by its cover/title, but the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel is also outstanding.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
For anyone who may not have seen it on the 10,000 times it was played on TBS, The Shawshank Redemption came out 25 years ago this month. One piece of trivia, the actor Clancy Brown who played the prison guard is also the voice of Mr. Krabs in SpongeBob SquarePants.

On a different subject, caught part of the Ken Burns documentary Country Music last night. It is an 8 part episode, saw episode 4 last night that covered the mid-60's: the session musicians in Nashville, Buck Owens, Dolly Parton and finished with Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison. Very good.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Clancy Brown was also a fantastic villain on Billions. I would not be surprised if he pops up again next season. He has seemed to have broken into the Voice Work community, as did his SpongeBob co-star, Tom Wilson.

E6BFlightComp

Even though they shut down the progress of the show, the OA is really brain intensive and keeps your jaw dropped the whole time. Netflix original and it definitely shows with the quality of the work. Someone had to be high when they came up with the idea, but it makes for a pretty good watching when you have a beer in your hand.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I’m digging “For All Mankind,” one of the kickoff shows on Apple TV+. Alternate history where the Soviet N1 didn’t explode and Alexi Leonov landed on the moon two weeks before Apollo 11. The US space program thus stays pressurized (so to speak) and politically motivated to press on instead of Nixon losing interest and cutting Apollo. Ronald D “Battlestar” Moore is the executive producer.

It doesn’t get some of the background details quite right but it does a good job accurately assessing how the various historic figures involved (like Nixon) would really have reacted.

Gonzo08

*1. Gangbar Off
None
I’m digging “For All Mankind,” one of the kickoff shows on Apple TV+. Alternate history where the Soviet N1 didn’t explode and Alexi Leonov landed on the moon two weeks before Apollo 11. The US space program thus stays pressurized (so to speak) and politically motivated to press on instead of Nixon losing interest and cutting Apollo. Ronald D “Battlestar” Moore is the executive producer.

It doesn’t get some of the background details quite right but it does a good job accurately assessing how the various historic figures involved (like Nixon) would really have reacted.
I'm a sucker for alternate history shows and that one sounds right up my alley. Unfortunately I'm not going to invest in Apple TV+. If only there were some kind of bay for pirates....

Treetop Flyer

pilot

The previews seem a little SJW-ish

Switchstone

I highly recommend The Expanse. It's set some hundred years in the future, with humanity having started colonizing Mars and the countless asteroids found throughout the Inner Planets. There's 3 main factions: Earth, Mars, and the oppressed 'Belters who work in space, mining asteroids for ice and minerals. The series has political intrigue between the 3 factions, some noir in space, shadow governments, and most importantly - really well made space battles. The only initial downside was that it was made by the SciFi/SyFy channel. Even then, it looked like they blew their entire budget on this one show, because its actually really good. Good enough that when they announced they were cancelling it after the third season, fans raised such a fuss that Amazon decided to pick it up. Its a Prime original series now, and you can catch the first 3 seasons on their app/website. Season 4 = book 4, and there are 8 books out right now, with 1 more to go, so plenty of seasons left.

My second recommendation is His Dark Materials on HBO. Only 2 episodes out so far, but both have been quite good.

And lastly, The Witcher. Based off a book series, and popularized by a video game that ended up being the greatest RPG in the last 10 years, it comes out in December on Netflix. Stars Henry Cavil, as he hunts monsters.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I'm a sucker for alternate history shows and that one sounds right up my alley. Unfortunately I'm not going to invest in Apple TV+. If only there were some kind of bay for pirates....

If you have an inclination to buy any major piece of Apple hardware, you get AppleTV+ for free. Personally I'm not interested in getting it right now, but something to keep in mind. Fortunately a co-worker plugged his log in into the work AppleTV, so now we get it, so I was going to eventually check out "For All Mankind."

I'm hoping the Mandalorian will be good on Disney+. I'll probably end up paying for that...or maybe Verizon will be...I need to read the fine print.

Switchstone

If only there were some kind of bay for pirates....
Better alternatives nowadays, that let you stream the shows/movies via sequential downloading, instead of having to wait until the very end.
Torrenting started to decline a while back, with the rise of YouTube making Limewire obsolete for pirating music, and Netflix doing the same for movies/tv shows. But now that all the big players are making there own streaming services, content is no longer centralized. Guess whats going to make a comeback?

Only now, the general population is a lot more tech literate, and torrenting/piracy has nowhere near as much of a negative stigma attached to it as it used to, w/ many people sharing a Netflix/HBOGo/AmazonPrime/Hulu account w/ a friend/mom/roommate. And instead of having to download some sketchy file, you just open up an app like you would Netflix or Hulu, and browse for a movie/tv show you want to watch. Hell, this looks better than Amazon Prime's movie and tv menu. They could learn a thing or two from unnamed questionably ethical entertainment apps.