• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need some rumor control on STA-21 adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

IFT2O

Drinkin' Beer w/ your mom
KBayDog said:
Just a dumb Jarhead here, but if the changes aren't officially published before the board, there is no reason NOT to apply. Don't rely on word-of-mouth from "Mike."

ABSOLUTELY APPLY! Send your waiver up the chain and check this out https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/. Don't get me wrong, crap changes, as I'm sure you know on a daily basis in the NAVY, but don't take no for an answer. It's your career!

jeff24

the rumors are true

I was applying to the Supply Corps and had already done my first set of boards and had my CO interview. Today I find out that I'm no longer eligible because of my age(currently 26). They have the new age requirement on the Sta-21 web page, must not be 27 by graduation. I also called Dan Seward, Sta-21 placement officer and confirmed with him. They said that they won't take any waivers either. This is probably going to hurt a lot of people. If anyone hears differently please post with POC. Thanks,

ET2 (SW) Gustafson, Jeff

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
That's a shame. I'm very sorry to hear that. I don't know why STA-21 keeps shrinking. If they need fewer new officer ascessions, I would personally have paired back NROTC scholarships or OCS. STA 21 seems to no longer be helping as many people as the individual ECPs were.
Except for nuclear. That grew from 60-70 between FY04 and FY05.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Wow, I think 90% of the BOOST class that i'm in wouldn't have made it based on that.

STA21pilot

gustopo69 said:
I was applying to the Supply Corps and had already done my first set of boards and had my CO interview. Today I find out that I'm no longer eligible because of my age(currently 26). They have the new age requirement on the Sta-21 web page, must not be 27 by graduation. I also called Dan Seward, Sta-21 placement officer and confirmed with him. They said that they won't take any waivers either. This is probably going to hurt a lot of people. If anyone hears differently please post with POC. Thanks,
That sucks! I made it last year on a 1 year age waiver. I applied when I was 24 and I'm just over the age limit.

You might try to see if you can finish your degree early. Some schools will honor a lot of credits. If you can finish earlier then you might have a shot getting in under the wire.

jeff24

Not close enough to degree

I have roughly 60 credit hours, not counting all of my military credits, but some of them. I really wanted to go supply or SWO. I know I am eligible for other options, but do not have the drive to go with them. Right now I'm just down and out, not really liking the navy right now. This will change with time. I'm off to Great Lakes to be a RDC. Trying to put on khakis one way or another. This really sucks, because I had a really strong package, ranked #1 two years running, had some really strong LOR. My CO had me ranked #1, had really good marks on my first set of boards. I really think that STA-21 is going to lose out on some quality sailors. I guess the enlisted ranks need us more. I plan on putting in for LDO when the times comes. I'm keeping my head up, just a little upset of the timing of the changes.

ET2

KimberlyD

gustopo69 said:

ET2 (SW) Gustafson, Jeff

Where did you find that?

Be able to complete degree requirements and be commissioned prior to the 31st birthday. Waivers of this requirement may be considered understanding that specific age requirements for certain STA-21 option programs differ. These are addressed in the Program Options section of this web site.

That's exactly what is available on https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/er.html

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
"specific age requirements for certain STA-21 option programs differ"
If you look at the target options, Supply required you be commissioned prior to your 27th birthday. Nuclear and Flight also have more restrictive age requirements.

Tuckster

MIF HUNTER
None
So does this mean they are not accepting waivers for any option, or just Supply? On the website all of the other options mention something about a waiver, but there is no mention for the Supply option. Just curious to know if its going to affect us across the board.

jeff24

Affects most options

FC1CIWSGUY said:
So does this mean they are not accepting waivers for any option, or just Supply? On the website all of the other options mention something about a waiver, but there is no mention for the Supply option. Just curious to know if its going to affect us across the board.
I know it's affecting most options. I have a powerpoint with most of the changes in it. The Navadmin should be out in a week or so they say. I know there are going to be a lot of upset people out there. They have even set the age for core to 27 with no waivers. If anyone wants to see the powerpoint for the changes just email me and I will send it out. My email is jeffnstef2002@yahoo.com. In the powerpoint Supply doesn't mention a waiver, but when talking with the STA-21 placement officer they just got word that supply isn't accepting waivers. Supply was considering waivers, but decided against it. I asked what the reasoning behind these major changes and STA-21 told me that most people that were older weren't even finishing their DEPT Head tours before they retired, so by dropping the age requirements, they would get more time out of the canidates. I don't understand their reasoning. Oh well, good luck to all that are still eligible.

ET2

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
If they are so worried about people finished Dept Head tours, they should increase the obliserve, not take away the waivers. They're going to land up with an entirely different pool of accepted candidates without this age waiver... and I don't think they are going to like it.

jeff24

I agree

etnuclearsailor said:
If they are so worried about people finished Dept Head tours, they should increase the obliserve, not take away the waivers. They're going to land up with an entirely different pool of accepted candidates without this age waiver... and I don't think they are going to like it.
The whole point of the STA-21 program is to take the up and coming enlisted leadership and make them officers. I believe it take experience and time to make a good sailor or officer. There taking this option away from a lot of outstanding sailors. Oh well, I guess we'll just have to work a little harder to get where we want to go.

ET2

Tuckster

MIF HUNTER
None
dude that sux. that sux real bad. I am turning 26 this month, and am about 1 1/2 to 2 years away from my degree, so that probably is going to eliminate my chances too since most guys seem to not even start school untill the following school year because of BOOST and NSI. So I guess the formula now is go to school for a while before you come in, then start applying from the get go. Oh well, this isnt the first hurdle I have had to jump in my career so far, I'll get there one way or another....they can't take my motivation or determination!!LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.