• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need some rumor control on STA-21 adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennyism

I have a friend who has been applied for STA-21 but was not picked up. He is 29 years old now, and with all the college credits that he has earned, would easily be able to be commissioned in time. He recently receive a call that told him that the ages for application to STA-21 were lowering by a lot and they pretty much told him that he need not apply. Does anybody have any idea what this new admin message that will be coming out shortly will include and what the new age caps are? Thanks for any and all information.

IT1

STA-21-INTEL

Haven't heard that they were lowering any ages and would be pretty surprised if they did. They want people with fleet experience and the trade off is that you have to take folks a little older. I know they are cutting the numbers that they accept each year, but I doubt age is a factor in that.

Dennyism

fc2spyguy said:
Not a clue here. Where did he get the call from?

He got the call straight from Pensacola, where I guess that program is run from. Got it straight from the guy the runs it all, and answers all the questions, he said the guys name was Mike.

Dennyism

etnuclearsailor said:
Perhaps they meant they will no longer consider age waivers?

That's what I was thinking too, but they specifically told him that he was too old for the program. At 29, that's not very old, and he still could have been commissioned on time.

KBayDog

Just a dumb Jarhead here, but if the changes aren't officially published before the board, there is no reason NOT to apply. Don't rely on word-of-mouth from "Mike."

Dennyism

KBayDog said:
Just a dumb Jarhead here, but if the changes aren't officially published before the board, there is no reason NOT to apply. Don't rely on word-of-mouth from "Mike."

Well, when "Mike" is the civillian running the commissioning program, that is quite a bit past word-of-mouth.

KBayDog

Gee, fellas, thanks! lol..

I went MECEP, which is similar to STA-21. First off, there are waivers for everything, as you know. My best friend was accepted on his fifth try, and his commissioning was well after the "max age." He is a successful infantry officer right now.

Second, as you know, never listen to the sea lawyers. Even if the rumor mill is right, and a revised order does come out, what does he have to lose by submitting a package? At that point, the worst they'll tell him is "no." Which, if he doesn't apply, will yield the same result.

etnuclearsailor

STA 21 Nuclear OC
Perhaps they feel since the numbers are likely to be cut yet again for STA 21, they will not approve age waivers and simply select from those who will make the age cut.
If he's 29 now, if he were selected he'd be thirty before he started NSI (assuming he went with the first FY06 class which doesn't class up until March of 06). After two months here, he'd need to complete his degree in less than one year to make the cut of 31. If he would need BOOST, then that would keep him from starting college until either September 06 or June 07. Will he be 31 before June 07?

I say he should apply anyway; try for the age waiver. If the age deal is not true, he'd possibly miss out on his last chance if he doesn't apply.

STA-21-INTEL

I second KBay, there are people here right now that technically shouldn't be (ie. needed waivers) so there is always the chance if you apply.

JEEPER1219

The gig is that if what he wants to be an officer then try for SWO or Nurse corps. The age maxes are higher. CORE is 31 with no waiver for service. I am a SWO selectee and was granted a 24 month waiver allowing me to have until my 33rd birthday to be commissioned. Nurse corps I believe is 35 all around. SWO allows for up to a 24 month waiver (automatic:read-make sure you let Dan the Man aware of it) up to age 35. Also any info that Mike from P'cola puts out is pretty much golden as he has the same gouge that dan in millington. Good luck to your bud.

Status
Not open for further replies.