• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need Help In Stronger Package

sesty

My friend and I thought it will be cool to graduate at the same time and apply for naval aviation. The sad thing is that he was rejected. I got Pro’Rec for SNA but my friend didn’t. I feel real sorry for him and I told him I can hold off the OCS date until he gets selected, but the question what can he do to get selected? He scored a 47 5/5/5 on the ASTB and that was his third attempt. He received his college degree in Sociology with a 2.21 GPA. My ASTB was 43 5/5/5 and my GPA is 2.138 is a 2.138. Yeah we partied kind of hard and chase women at our years at Florida State. How often and how soon can he reapply again and what can he do to make his package stronger? He really want to become a naval aviator but he don’t know what to do and I cant stand around waiting for too long after I’m done with grad school. We both had excellent LOR’s and were involved in various sports activities. I need as much advise as I can get from you guys. Thank You.

MasterBates

Oh, how cute. You two can go to OCS with your BFF..

So will you two be holding hands during RLPs?

You have shot at becoming a Naval Aviator. Help your buddy, but waiting to go to OCS until he is accepted (may be never, may be in 6 months) is stupid IMHO..

tiger84

LT
pilot
I hate to be the grammar police, but your post hurt my eyes when I tried to read it. As far as your actual questions go it would be best to do a quick search as most have been answered pretty thoroughly here. If your friend is done with school not much can be done about either the GPA or ASTB scores (after the third attempt), so his best bet is to try to get some more strong LORs and interviews and reapply. I'd be careful about trying to delay your OCS date, since I doubt there are too many recruiters willing to change your class just because you want to go in with your buddy.

Brett1

Banned
Maybe I am getting old but....... how in the hell do you get accepted withh a GPA of 2.1????? Back in my days you had to be 3.5 to be competitive. Is the grading different???

phrogpilot73

Maybe I am getting old but....... how in the hell do you get accepted withh a GPA of 2.1????? Back in my days you had to be 3.5 to be competitive. Is the grading different???
I got commissioned with a 2.65... That was from the Naval Academy though. I got into the Naval Academy with a 1.96 GPA from High School. If you have good LORs, interviews, etc... you can be competitive with less than a 3.5. They look at the whole person, not just the grades.

sesty

phrogpilot73 is right and also I think me being an African American also helped me in getting selected. The Navy give minorities the upper hand.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.

If you're talking about OCS and not the Naval Academy, this sounds like a fish story to me. It's hard for me to believe that the USN was as strict about GPA as medical schools. Also, I'm fairly sure that a 3.5 GPA puts you in the top 10-15% of students, which doesn't leave the Navy much of an applicant pool for junior officers.

Having said that, a 2.1/2.2 GPA is pretty damn low.

MasterBates

Spekkio,

When the big drawdowns and RIFs happened in the early 90s the Navy could be VERY choosy.

I can't say if/how race/gender quotas affect getting accepted, but I know a lot of people that got in with GPA/ASTB scores that would be laughed at (but barely met published mins). I'm talking people who barely graduated. And they fly. Some make good pilots, some don't. They would probably not have gotten in if they were white males IMHO.

I was just talking to a friend from my college.. She is the HR manager for a large engineering firm in Michigan, and to meet Affirmative Action quotas they have to hire pretty much any woman/minority that meets the minimums.

Not sayin' its right, because it is not.

It's just how it is.

PCism will be the end of us all..

I am all for equal opportunity, but that does not mean equal results. You either can do it, or you can't. Race should not matter. But it does, and that isn't right.

Purdue

Chicks Dig Rotors...
pilot
Also, I'm fairly sure that a 3.5 GPA puts you in the top 15-20% of students.

I graduated from High School with a 3.30 GPA and it put me in the eigth decile (lower 20% of my class). (New Trier high School was full of overachiever's... Highest GPA that year was a 5.1 on a 4.0 scale)

But back to getting selected to OCS with a COLLEGE GPA of 2.13X? Wow... I never would have thought that possible, especially with the low entrance exam grades for Aviation...

To the original poster: Don't wait on your buddy. There's a solid chance one or both of you may not make it through, or may DOR... then you'd be on your own anyway. You can't put your friends above your career choice... to be fair to yourself, if you don't put being a SNA above your girlfriend, friends, and everything else... you aren't taking it serious enough.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
@ OP:

Im not trying to be rude or offensive, but if your friend really wants to be a Naval Aviator (OFFICER) shouldn't he be the one to be on AW.com asking questions about how to improve his package.

MSkinsATC

pilot
I was hoping A4s would have commented on the grammer (no offense tiger) I just really enjoy it when A4s decides to crush someones grammer!!!

Ohh yeah and if the original poster really is serious, take another english class in college, Naval Officers need to be able to read and write...among other things!!!