• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need advice on "Officer Interview" for NROTC 4-yr scholarship

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I went to Jacksonville for my interview and there were nine of us interviewing with an 0-6. I was the only one who didnt wear my JROTC uniform and I got it. From my experience and from my friends it seems like they value sports and dont care at all that you did JROTC.

I found out from my interview that they don't really care so much that you are a NJROTC cadet, they care a lot if you hold an NJROTC billet. Billet = leadership.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
So does my school. Also, I'm 40 minutes from the best skiing in the world and I'm allowed to have a life.

So far, I've found both Embry-Riddle and Norwich cover the room & board for 4-yr scholarship holders. I'm going to be checking all the others on my list.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Go to Virginia Tech.

I've applied to be in the cadet corps at VT.

But I've read on various internet forums that VT cadets might as well come with three eyes and horns from the perspective of other VT students. I'm not sure that I want to go to a school where cadets are just so disrespected.

What was your experience at VT? Were you a cadet?

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Actually, I was wrong, the NROTC Commander made an even more amazing claim, "Our unit has placed 100% of all who wanted to be pilots and who were physically qualified since our inception."

Whaaaat? I really don't know anything about Embry Riddle, but I want to call the BS flag on that one.

phrogpilot73

No too late. And my SAT and GPA isn't quite high enough. I'm going to work hard next year and apply for USNA in the Fall.
1200 SAT and a 1.96 GPA here, and I'm class of '98 from USNA.

You've got the right idea though, it can be done. I had a successful semester of college under my belt (3.4, Dean's List) and I was prior enlisted when I finally did get accepted to USNA.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
No too late. And my SAT and GPA isn't quite high enough. :( I'm going to work hard next year and apply for USNA in the Fall. :icon_rage I'm going to see if I can get a NROTC Commander's nomination to USNA. :icon_wink

Once you're started at another school and have a year complete, your desire to start over again at an academy will decrease significantly.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Whaaaat? I really don't know anything about Embry Riddle, but I want to call the BS flag on that one.

ER's ROTC unit has only been around a few years, so I'm guessing that's how he can make the claim.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'd love to see how long they can keep making that claim.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Seriously, go to a real university!!!

I have a few friends who did the flight program at Purdue and have been smoking flight school.

I should have heard that Purdue has a flight school, because now it's too late in the year to apply to any new universities.

I'm still being amazed by Embry-Riddle's 100% historical success rate. The NROTC Commander there told me he was also going to look up what percentage of ERAU SNA's actually end up earning their wings of gold. He said he thinks it will be a high percentage.

ERAU has a "Aeronautical Sciences with Military Pilot Specialty" Bachelors degree. But the NROTC Commander said that this is actually the wrong degree for SNA's. The right degree at ERAU is apparently Aerospace Engineering. So if I end up there, I will probably major in AE and minor in aviation...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I don't really want to go too far down this road, but....

If you're going to be a pilot, don't get some generic "aviation business," "aeronautical science," or anything with "aviation" or "aero" in it, with the exception of "Aerospace engineering." This is truly putting all your eggs in one basket, like the guy who invests his savings in his own company's stock. His company goes tits up, and his savings are gone too. Someday you'll be in the private sector, and the aviation business will be on its ass again, and all your job skills say, "aviation, aviation, aviation."