• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need advice on "Officer Interview" for NROTC 4-yr scholarship

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Thanks All!

Just wanted to thank everyone who gave me advice! :) I listened to all of it and practiced the questions.

I just had my interview with an O-4 this afternoon. Instead of 30 minutes, it went for a hour and a half until we got kicked out when the coffeeshop closed! The advice everyone gave was awesome! :D I was able to be completely polished on all my answers because of you. I even managed to improvise some jokes on the spot. The only question I was completely unprepared for was something like: "I know that you are well-rounded and can probably get in anywhere, but what if you win the scholarship but then you don't get accepted to any of your NROTC college choices?" :eek: Oops! :eek: I think I improvised well on answering that question, although honestly, I'd never even considered that possibility - after all, I'd applied to 9 different NROTC colleges and I can't imagine being rejected by all of them. At the end of the interview, the LCDR said that I was very impressive and going to make an "outstanding" candidate, and that my recruiter was going to hear about this personally. :D:D:D I'm still floating on a cloud! :D Wheeee! But now the long wait starts..... :confused:

Again, thanks to everyone!

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Oh, and I did dress how I said I would, except I decided to wear my NJROTC "anchor" pin instead of the little Navy commemorative pin I'd mentioned. I'm glad I dressed up since it turned out the LCDR was dressed pretty well even though we were meeting in a coffeeshop! It definitely made me feel more confident and I think that showed. :)

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Just wanted to thank everyone who gave me advice! :) I listened to all of it and practiced the questions.

I just had my interview with an O-4 this afternoon. Instead of 30 minutes, it went for a hour and a half until we got kicked out when the coffeeshop closed! The advice everyone gave was awesome! :D I was able to be completely polished on all my answers because of you. I even managed to improvise some jokes on the spot. The only question I was completely unprepared for was something like: "I know that you are well-rounded and can probably get in anywhere, but what if you win the scholarship but then you don't get accepted to any of your NROTC college choices?" :eek: Oops! :eek: I think I improvised well on answering that question, although honestly, I'd never even considered that possibility - after all, I'd applied to 9 different NROTC colleges and I can't imagine being rejected by all of them. At the end of the interview, the LCDR said that I was very impressive and going to make an "outstanding" candidate, and that my recruiter was going to hear about this personally. :D:D:D I'm still floating on a cloud! :D Wheeee! But now the long wait starts..... :confused:

Again, thanks to everyone!

Holy hell you applied to 9 different colleges? I wasn't motivated enough to apply to more than 4.

Nose

pilot
I don't think there were 9 colleges in the country that would have accepted me.

DSL, sorry about missing the "girl" part of your original post (I don't normally overlook "Girls") - glad it went well.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Holy hell you applied to 9 different colleges? I wasn't motivated enough to apply to more than 4.

VMI, The Citadel, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, Norwich University, Embry-Riddle (got accepted already for Aerospace Engineering), George Washington University, College of the Holy Cross, and one other that has a cross-town NROTC program (not very excited about it). :D

By the way, the NROTC Commander at Embry-Riddle told me that 100% of their students last year who wanted SNA and qualified physically, got SNA! :eek: ERAU wasn't at the top of my list of college choices (VMI is), but now I am seriously considering it! :icon_wink

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Wow...you must really like the military lifestyle to pick that list of schools. Have you applied to USNA, too?

NUFO06

None
I went to Jacksonville for my interview and there were nine of us interviewing with an 0-6. I was the only one who didnt wear my JROTC uniform and I got it. From my experience and from my friends it seems like they value sports and dont care at all that you did JROTC.

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
VMI, The Citadel, Texas A&M, Virginia Tech, Norwich University, Embry-Riddle (got accepted already for Aerospace Engineering), George Washington University, College of the Holy Cross, and one other that has a cross-town NROTC program (not very excited about it).

Dang...you're really not into doing anything that resembles fun, are you? Haha, wow that's an intense list. What cross-town program did you apply to?

NUFO06

None
The private military schools give free room and board for 4 year sch kids that also includes food.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
By the way, the NROTC Commander at Embry-Riddle told me that 100% of their students last year who wanted SNA and qualified physically, got SNA!

Actually, I was wrong, the NROTC Commander made an even more amazing claim, "Our unit has placed 100% of all who wanted to be pilots and who were physically qualified since our inception."

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Wow...you must really like the military lifestyle to pick that list of schools. Have you applied to USNA, too?

No too late. And my SAT and GPA isn't quite high enough. :( I'm going to work hard next year and apply for USNA in the Fall. :icon_rage I'm going to see if I can get a NROTC Commander's nomination to USNA. :icon_wink