• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Need advice on "Officer Interview" for NROTC 4-yr scholarship

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I should have heard that Purdue has a flight school, because now it's too late in the year to apply to any new universities.

I'm still being amazed by Embry-Riddle's 100% historical success rate. The NROTC Commander there told me he was also going to look up what percentage of ERAU SNA's actually end up earning their wings of gold. He said he thinks it will be a high percentage.

ERAU has a "Aeronautical Sciences with Military Pilot Specialty" Bachelors degree. But the NROTC Commander said that this is actually the wrong degree for SNA's. The right degree at ERAU is apparently Aerospace Engineering. So if I end up there, I will probably major in AE and minor in aviation...

I went to ERAU Prescott campus for Aerospace engineering. I had no intentions of going into the military when i applied and wanted an engineering degree for job security and salary. Now I am glad I have it because 1: I have something to fall back on and 2: the degree coupled with my flight experience (upon getting out of the navy) would open many doors for me and 3: I've always wanted to be an astronaut and this is basically a pre-requisite (or some such tech degree).

I'd do engineering if it interests you (it did, me).

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
I don't really want to go too far down this road, but....

If you're going to be a pilot, don't get some generic "aviation business," "aeronautical science," or anything with "aviation" or "aero" in it, with the exception of "Aerospace engineering." This is truly putting all your eggs in one basket, like the guy who invests his savings in his own company's stock. His company goes tits up, and his savings are gone too. Someday you'll be in the private sector, and the aviation business will be on its ass again, and all your job skills say, "aviation, aviation, aviation."

As an "Aviation Flight Operations" major, I'll agree with this for the most part - it is somewhat limiting. However, when you're in the private sector someday and the business is on its ass again, your job skills will more importantly also say, "military officer, military officer, military officer."

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
your job skills will more importantly also say, "military officer, military officer, military officer."

There have been some other threads on that very topic. The military officer thing will get some mileage for you in some quarters, but it's not going to close the deal for you. Having been "military officer, military officer, military officer." for a little while I know exactly what it's worth--that's why I'm working on my masters' degree. I know too many guys who turn around and work as an SSC (scum-sucking contractor) at the same base they just retired from.

Granted, the value of a particular major depreciates rapidly with your number of years out of school. That said, having a degree in aviation management or some such is just going to limit your options. Either go with a technical major, if that's your inclination, or a more generalist, use-anywhere major.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I should have heard that Purdue has a flight school, because now it's too late in the year to apply to any new universities.

I'm still being amazed by Embry-Riddle's 100% historical success rate. The NROTC Commander there told me he was also going to look up what percentage of ERAU SNA's actually end up earning their wings of gold. He said he thinks it will be a high percentage.

ERAU has a "Aeronautical Sciences with Military Pilot Specialty" Bachelors degree. But the NROTC Commander said that this is actually the wrong degree for SNA's. The right degree at ERAU is apparently Aerospace Engineering. So if I end up there, I will probably major in AE and minor in aviation...

Don't get too caught up in the 100% selection rate. Everyone who I went to school with that put down pilot #1 got it. It has NOTHING to do w/ your school, it's all about credentials. Get good grades, you'll get SNA. It's as simple as that.

Oh, and major in whatever the hell you want. Poli Sci and fly. Besides being a flight major, I don't think any one major has an advantage over the other. Seriously, academics from API on are meant to bring all backgrounds to the same level.

1 more pilot

pilot
I've applied to be in the cadet corps at VT.

But I've read on various internet forums that VT cadets might as well come with three eyes and horns from the perspective of other VT students. I'm not sure that I want to go to a school where cadets are just so disrespected.

What was your experience at VT? Were you a cadet?

My wife was in the Corps of Cadets, I was not. Sure you're going to have to wear a uniform all the time and March in parades, but I don't think it's accurate to say that the rest of the students have negative opinion of the Cadets. Everyone who goes there knows that it started off as a military school and the Corps of Cadets is just as much a part of the school as anything else. The center of campus is called the "Drill Field".

I wouldn't stress about majors and selection rates. I know several people who had AE degrees and didn't make it past API and guys who had a ton of civil flight time and didn't wing. I also know just as many history/criminal justice majors who can fly the hell out of any aircraft they touch. It is your experience as an officer that is going to make you marketable when you get out.

Above all, remember that you should want to be an officer first and foremost. Some don't make it through for a variety of reasons, but those people who work for you are still going to count on you to be the best SWO or supply officer or whatever that you can be. The ignorant think the privilege is to fly a multi-million dollar aircraft, when the true privilege is to lead the men and women that work for you.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
My wife was in the Corps of Cadets, I was not. Sure you're going to have to wear a uniform all the time and March in parades, but I don't think it's accurate to say that the rest of the students have negative opinion of the Cadets. Everyone who goes there knows that it started off as a military school and the Corps of Cadets is just as much a part of the school as anything else. The center of campus is called the "Drill Field".

I wouldn't stress about majors and selection rates. I know several people who had AE degrees and didn't make it past API and guys who had a ton of civil flight time and didn't wing. I also know just as many history/criminal justice majors who can fly the hell out of any aircraft they touch. It is your experience as an officer that is going to make you marketable when you get out.

Above all, remember that you should want to be an officer first and foremost. Some don't make it through for a variety of reasons, but those people who work for you are still going to count on you to be the best SWO or supply officer or whatever that you can be. The ignorant think the privilege is to fly a multi-million dollar aircraft, when the true privilege is to lead the men and women that work for you.

OK. I read the disrespect thing on the Internet somewhere, but I just tried to google for it and couldn't find it. Maybe I read it wrong.

I do have a question though about leading men and women. As a Naval Aviator, do you actually lead anyone? Do you have a command, per say? I just thought that unless you have a shore duty tour and become a staff officer, you have no command while you are on fleet duty, no matter what your rank.:confused:

Can someone explain this for me?

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
You generally will have a ground job in addition to your flying duties. This could be writing a flight schedule, where you're in charge of no one, but it could be running a maintenance shop of 100 sailors or Marines.

"Fleet duty" does have commands, too. The first that comes to mind is the squadron CO.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I do have a question though about leading men and women. As a Naval Aviator, do you actually lead anyone? Do you have a command, per say? I just thought that unless you have a shore duty tour and become a staff officer, you have no command while you are on fleet duty, no matter what your rank.:confused:

Can someone explain this for me?

Concur w/ Phrog (no not that one, the other one). There's plenty of opportunities for JOs on their sea tour to lead. At two different times I had about 40-60 guys working for me in maintenance at my first squadron.

redmidgrl

livin' the dream
Contributor
University of Maryland College Park. :sleep_125

I go to GWU, and I can see how the UMD folks have a tough time driving the beltway several times a week. We have a great unit, so it's worth it. GW lacks a football team, but we make up for it with a great location :)

Red

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Don't bother with ERAU, I won't say any more than that.

As far as the 100% selection since inception, we've only been around since 2003. We didn't have our first "full" graduating class until 2007. I refuse to buy into the idea that a school can really be the deciding factor in service selection. Apply yourself academically and with the unit requirements and the rest of the stuff will work itself out. On top of that - Service selection is done nationally, not by school. Go enjoy yourself at a normal college and maybe you won't graduate with a bunch of "if only I had known that before I signed up here" thoughts. Good luck!

Nose

pilot
I do have a question though about leading men and women. As a Naval Aviator, do you actually lead anyone? Do you have a command, per say?

LOL, if you are any good at all as a Naval Officer and do a "full" 20 year career, you will come out of it with much, much more leadership experience than flight time. In these days of tight budgets and no growth manning in aviation, your leadership skills matter much more than your flight skills. A great leader who is an average stick will go much further than a shit-hot pilot who can't contribute on the ground.

First "fleet" tour you will find yourself in charge of a division or at least a workcenter. In the business world, they would call you a second-level manager.

As a department head (usually 3rd fleet tour) if you don't suck, you will run the maintenance department. You will be responsible for the care and feeding of a few HUNDRED people and have 3-4 tiers of people working beneath you. Large budgets, lots of pressure to keep planes up, and running a safe operation in one of the most unsafe environments imaginable come to mind off the top of my head.

As a squadron CO, you are PERSONALLY charged with the successful completion of the squadron's assigned mission. You hire and fire, you punish and praise, you damn well better be a leader, because if you are not you won't last long.

I'd be interested in one of the USAF guys weighing in on how it works on their side - I'm under the impression that except for leading other pilots when in various jobs, there is not much opportunity for the kind of things we see in Navy/Marine Corps until later in the career.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
Don't bother with ERAU, I won't say any more than that.

As far as the 100% selection since inception, we've only been around since 2003. We didn't have our first "full" graduating class until 2007. I refuse to buy into the idea that a school can really be the deciding factor in service selection. Apply yourself academically and with the unit requirements and the rest of the stuff will work itself out. On top of that - Service selection is done nationally, not by school. Go enjoy yourself at a normal college and maybe you won't graduate with a bunch of "if only I had known that before I signed up here" thoughts. Good luck!

HighDimension,
I assume you are a senior at ERAU? :confused: I've talked with a freshman girl there who works in the admissions office and she was pretty pumped about the school. Can you send me a PM about what you think is broken about ERAU? I'd really like to know before I make a 4-yr mistake. What is not "normal" about ERAU and "better" at other schools? I want to know all the "if only I had known that before I signed up here" thoughts! :eek: I'm sending you a PM too right now.

Iron Maiden

I go to GWU, and I can see how the UMD folks have a tough time driving the beltway several times a week. We have a great unit, so it's worth it. GW lacks a football team, but we make up for it with a great location :)

Red

Do you by any chance know if your unit at GWU has any remaining 4 year NROTC slots open for incoming freshman Fall 2008?