• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Working Uniform Type II and III - finally something sailors can wear....

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Oh, okay. Is the blue-grey NWU supposed to be replacing any other uniforms?

Yup, it replaces almost all the working uniforms including wash khaki (aka working khaki), SWOveralls, and, most sadly, Aviation Working Greens.

Your standard uniform fare for aviation will be flight suits 95% of the time (and related gear to include Nomex Jacket, Leather Jacket, and some of that gucci fleece/gorex stuff I see LTs have), Service Khaki for somewhat more formal stuff, Summer Whites in case someone demands it, and Dress Blues/Whites for special occasion stuff. Oh, and PT gear.

Most non-OCS folks I know never got NWUs in their seabag and don't own a set. I think I wore mine once because they were easier to wear to the doc before I got a flight suit.

GreenLantern330

That's the weird part. I keep seeing all these recent pictures of groups of people and some will be wearing NWUs and others will be wearing coveralls.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
That's the weird part. I keep seeing all these recent pictures of groups of people and some will be wearing NWUs and others will be wearing coveralls.

Coveralls can still be worn, just not off ship/out of the command. They are much better working uniforms on a ship or when working on aircraft than the NWUs and are much cheaper. It's just the hassle of having to change when you come to work/go home.

LazersGoPEWPEW

4500rpm
Contributor
Coveralls are still authorized. Nothing weird about that. But I have heard some COs not allow them at all. They force their ships to wear NWUs even out to sea. Madness I say!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
The bad part about the Type II/III is I don't think people would actually mind wearing those. They actually resemble something less fucktarded than the NWU I. However, they are organizational, and you won't be able to get them from the NEX. Good luck on convincing your command to foot the bill for everybody to have a set of those.

KBayDog

Either way, have fun being camouflaged with the ocean, especially if you fall overboard.

(Of course, like good ORM warriors, you'll all be wearing your float coats, which will (at the very least) keep you on the surface and make it easier to find you. Of course, wearing the float coat will also nullify the purpose of having haze gray and underway camouflage.)

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Coveralls are still authorized. Nothing weird about that. But I have heard some COs not allow them at all. They force their ships to wear NWUs even out to sea. Madness I say!

Which is retarded since the NWU isn't fire retardant. Wait, it's retarded because it isn't. More craziness.

Either way, have fun being camouflaged with the ocean, especially if you fall overboard.

As opposed to the dark green or blue coveralls? Besides, non-big deck shoes don't even wear float coats during non-flight quarters evolutions. I'm not sure how they even know if the aft lookout is actually on station. He sure as hell isn't reporting contacts back there.

KBayDog

As opposed to the dark green or blue coveralls? Besides, non-big deck shoes don't even wear float coats during non-flight quarters evolutions. I'm not sure how they even know if the aft lookout is actually on station. He sure as hell isn't reporting contacts back there.

As opposed to circa-1991 neon green! Trust me, if I could wear the old neon orange flight suits while embarked, I would. I want to make things as easy as possible for Joboy if he has to come get me.

bluemarlin04

I actually don't mind the NWU. They sure beat Utilities (quite possibly the worst uniform ever) and they don't need to be ironed every time you wear them (utilities did unless you wanted to look like a shitbag). Plus, they're comfortable, you can take the blouse off in the work center, and they keep you fairly warm in most places. I may be the minority but I think they look kind of cool. Yes, a flight suit is better, but not everyone gets to wear those all the time.

Also, while the PT uniform is a bit off they're not so bad. Before they rolled out Kbay looked like a bunch of random people running around wearing whatever they pleased on PT days. People in squadron PT shirts, half not, half in black shorts, half in board shorts, etc...The PT field by Semper Fit looked like a playground at recess. I can see why they rolled that out.

Pags

N/A
pilot
As opposed to circa-1991 neon green! Trust me, if I could wear the old neon orange flight suits while embarked, I would. I want to make things as easy as possible for Joboy if he has to come get me.

I've tried so hard to get an orange flightsuit, but with no joy. My Skipper has one that he wears every Halloween.

My old squadron had a SAR Det that was going to wear orange flight suits to reinforce their SAR-ness, but eventually balked at the cost.