• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy to Marines transfer

Scamahmrd

Boiler Up!
pilot
I put a package in at the end of 05 / beginning of 06. The Navy told me that they would not let me go. I had great letters, good package, just the luck of the draw (timing wise.) Good luck to you though, you might as well try. Let us know the outcome.

Pags

N/A
pilot
I believe there's a lot to do with year group manning in there. My year group was heavily overmanned in pretty much all areas (SWOs too), and Marine aviation was hurting for folks in those year groups. When I graduated primary I was offered a VR slot due to the overmanning, and I was also encouraged to look into transferring to the Marines. To the surprise of many, myself included, I did give a lot of serious thought to the Marines, but decided to stay with the Blue and Gold. But, the point of all this is to say that it's probably gonna come down to the needs of both services. Does the Navy need more pointy nose guys? Do the Marines? Are the Marines overmanned in TACAIR? Have the planets aligned?

goplay234

Hummer NFO
None
When I went through (04-05), SNFOs didn't have the opportunity to transfer over. That may have changed, but a couple of the guys in my class in Primary/Intermediate looked into it with no joy. Good luck. Oh, and please let's not make this topic another forum on whether the guy wants to be a Marine first or just fly jets. If we could avoid that land mine, it would be great.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Oh, and please let's not make this topic another forum on whether the guy wants to be a Marine first or just fly jets. If we could avoid that land mine, it would be great.

That "land mine" will be the greatest source of your misery if you don't deal with it before you switch. That's not "Yut, Yut" bullsh!t, it's a real consideration that needs extensive thought before you decide what you want with your life and career. It's as much for your benefit as the Corps.

I was in the navy before switching to the Marines, so I know what it'll be like for those who are interested.

Pags

N/A
pilot
That "land mine" will be the greatest source of your misery if you don't deal with it before you switch. That's not "Yut, Yut" bullsh!t, it's a real consideration that needs extensive thought before you decide what you want with your life and career. It's as much for your benefit as the Corps.

I was in the navy before switching to the Marines, so I know what it'll be like for those who are interested.

Concur, it was definetly a huge consideration for me when I was thinking about switching. Not so much could I do it, because I think being an infantry officer would be awesome, but would I enjoy it and fit in with the mentality of the grunts? I found myself figuring I'd probably be a pretty lax marine aviator, so I couldn't imagine how I'd look to the grunts.

larbear

FOSx1000
pilot
I decided not to apply for a transfer, at least not now. I had wanted to be a Marine regardless of MOS, but I feel like I've got a good future ahead of me in the Navy, one which I won't risk for anything. I've got a ton of respect for Marines and probably will sometimes wish I was one of them, and maybe I will be someday.

emadel

Greetings,

I enlisted in the Navy and I am interested to switch to Marine Corps. My ship date is on June 2010. My job would be Hospitalcorpmen (HM). I would like to know what you need to do to switch from Navy to Marine Corps both physical condition and paper work. I find out that you may ask for a DEP discharge, but I am currently 29 years old, and the process to give you discharge may last up to a year, and I don't think marines take people older than 29 years old. I would appreciate all the help you may provide me. Thanks.

USMCFLYR

pilot
Greetings,

I enlisted in the Navy and I am interested to switch to Marine Corps. My ship date is on June 2010. My job would be Hospitalcorpmen (HM). I would like to know what you need to do to switch from Navy to Marine Corps both physical condition and paper work. I find out that you may ask for a DEP discharge, but I am currently 29 years old, and the process to give you discharge may last up to a year, and I don't think marines take people older than 29 years old. I would appreciate all the help you may provide me. Thanks.

As an HM you will have a lot of opportunity to work with the Marines if you chose FMF Corpsman.

USMCFLYR

HakTX

So if the min NSS is 5 points higher, how does that effect your ranking in the selection of an aircraft? Does it even effect it at all?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Greetings,

As an HM you will have a lot of opportunity to work with the Marines if you chose FMF Corpsman.

USMCFLYR

Like FLYR says, you can strive to be a FMF Corpsman and you'll be embedded in a Marine Corps Unit like one of their own. If you like the Marines, you'll likely spend all the time you like with them as Navy provides all medical support (and religious support). Note: Quite a few Corpsman in history were awarded Medal of Honor having earned it the hard way (posthumously).

jtmedli

pilot
Like FLYR says, you can strive to be a FMF Corpsman and you'll be embedded in a Marine Corps Unit like one of their own. If you like the Marines, you'll likely spend all the time you like with them as Navy provides all medical support (and religious support). Note: Quite a few Corpsman in history were awarded Medal of Honor having earned it the hard way (posthumously).

I'm not a Marine yet, but I've got nothing but respect for the Corpsmen and Chaplains. Saw a Medal of Honor show yesterday about nothing but Corpsmen who were awarded it and it gave me a whole other level of respect for those guys.

zoomiesailor

Navy SWO to Marine Corps Aviation? Is it possible?

I'm currently a junior Surface Warfare Officer that desires to do a inter-service transfer into Marine Corps Aviation. Does anyone know the process of how or if it is even possible? Most of the posts I've seen on this thread are pretty dated and I am hoping to get some fresh gouge. I am familiar with the lateral transfer process within the Navy but I have never heard of anyone doing an interservice transfer from surface Navy to Marine air unless they were already an SNA in the Navy like I read about in the earlier posts. Any and all help/guidence would be appreciated!

thanks

zoomiesailor

Navy SWO to Marine Corps Aviation? Is it possible?

I'm currently a junior Surface Warfare Officer that desires to do a inter-service transfer into Marine Corps Aviation. Does anyone know the process of how or if it is even possible? Most of the posts I've seen on this thread are pretty dated and I am hoping to get some fresh gouge. I am familiar with the lateral transfer process within the Navy but I have never heard of anyone doing an interservice transfer from surface Navy to Marine air unless they were already an SNA in the Navy like I read about in the earlier posts. Any and all help/guidence would be appreciated!

thanks