• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Supply Corps ODS???

kidday03

I saw that there were some recruiters on this website so I wanted to see if anyone has heard about this.

My husband is currently in OCS right now and he heard that the the Navy Supply Corps candidates are going to start going through ODS instead of OCS in like 9 months from now. He is not sure if this is true or not but if anyone can tell me what they know or have any ideas where i can find out, please let me know.

Thanks!

kidday03

It matters because I am starting the process of becoming a Naval Officer and it could alter the steps that I am going to take to get my commission. Make sense?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Then your best bet is to talk to your recruiter. He/she would know better than anyone on this forum what your application timeline would be and whether you will go to ODS or OCS.

kidday03

Well... I am just trying to find out if anyone has heard of this happening. This is a forum that passes along information and is helpful from what I see, that is why I asked the question.

I am not asking for help with my application timeline.

Thanks anyway for replying :eek:

Godspeed

His blood smells like cologne.
pilot
I always wondered why suppos went through OCS.... They seemed to be the only restricted line officers that did...

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I always wondered why suppos went through OCS.... They seemed to be the only restricted line officers that did...

Really, what about Intelligence and Cryptological officers?

You are likely thinking of staff officers like docs and chaplains.

MasterBates

Yep. The Supply Weenies seemed to be the only Staff Corps that went to OCS when I was there. Never knew why. Maybe it's because most of the others were walking in with a Masters/Doctorate/Experience whereas most Supply guys were straight out of undergrad.

BackOrdered

Contributor
My only guess is because Supply Corps Officers can get warfare quals, but then again, Intel can't.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep. The Supply Weenies seemed to be the only Staff Corps that went to OCS when I was there. Never knew why. Maybe it's because most of the others were walking in with a Masters/Doctorate/Experience whereas most Supply guys were straight out of undergrad.

I would guess it is a combination of what MB says and the fact that most ships have a supply officer on board while only a few have other staff officers. From what I know almost all ships, including subs, have a SuppO while carriers and big amphibs are the only ones that regularly have JAG's, Docs, Chaplains and others. A couple SuppO's I know qualified as OOD to help supplement the SWO's on FFG/DDG's.

My only guess is because Supply Corps Officers can get warfare quals, but then again, Intel can't.

That makes me cringe a little bit........It is not really a warfare qual, I would use Trader's terminology and call it just a warfare device.

Medical and Dental also have warfare devices.

Their warfare device/pin really doesn't show that they have somehow done some sort of warfare qual, it just shows they did the SuppO PQS for that pin. It certainly doesn't mean that they can fly a plane or drive a ship.

As much crap as we give SWO's their water wings actually mean they can drive and fight a ship (generally). That is a warfare qualification.

kidday03

Okay, I was able to speak with my husband today and he said that it is definitely on the books for the fiscal year (Oct). If I find anything else out or find it in writing I will update.

kidday03

I know, I have doubts too since I talked to a recruiter and he actually hasn't heard anything about it. I guess for the Supply guys that are going thhrough OCS right now says that this is quite the buzz. "Speechless" is definitely a good word. My hubby is already saying how he is gonna be so "mad" at me if I go to ODS v. OCS haha! I know Navy OCS is a lot different that USMC boot camp, but I have already had 3 fun months w/Marine DI's :p