• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy SAR Swimmer school

THoward

Im A 19 yr old female looking into becoming a rescue swimmer, what really are my chances? what all will i have to go through?? Please Help. Thank You

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
It's harder than BUD/S and not too many people sign up for it because of the lengthy service committment.

Also, I heard that it's the NOMI physical that keeps so many people from being picked up for Jedi training. Your midichlorian count has to be through the goddamn roof to even THINK about getting picked up. And then there's the test with the training aide (HOW THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO SEE ANYTHING WITH THE BLAST SHIELD DOWN?)...

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
Im A 19 yr old female looking into becoming a rescue swimmer, what really are my chances? what all will i have to go through?? Please Help. Thank You

I went to the school and was hurt during the long buddy tow event. Everything said in this forum is pretty accurate. To answer your question your chances are as good as you make them.

If you read the previous posts you will have an idea of what you will have to go through.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
And then there's the test with the training aide (HOW THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO SEE ANYTHING WITH THE BLAST SHIELD DOWN?)...

Well mine had a big enough scratch in it that I could see through all the paint and primer! ;)

I was kicked out because I couldn't remain celibate... ;)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Also, I heard that it's the NOMI physical that keeps so many people from being picked up for Jedi training. Your midichlorian count has to be through the goddamn roof to even THINK about getting picked up. And then there's the test with the training aide (HOW THE HELL ARE YOU SUPPOSED TO SEE ANYTHING WITH THE BLAST SHIELD DOWN?)...

You and Lucas can go choke yourselves for that crap.

revan1013

Death by Snoo Snoo
pilot
Wudgles +1 for being almost as dorky as me.

Synix... come on man, you know you wanna nerd out with us. ;)

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Wudgles +1 for being almost as dorky as me.

Synix... come on man, you know you wanna nerd out with us. ;)

No, I just despise the whole concept of midichlorians. It was perfectly fine as described in the earlier movies. A mystical energy force that binds the universe together is much better than some kind of little crap in the blood.

Wudgles

Cause I am most ill and I'm rhymin' and stealin'
pilot
No, I just despise the whole concept of midichlorians. It was perfectly fine as described in the earlier movies. A mystical energy force that binds the universe together is much better than some kind of little crap in the blood.

To quote a friend:
YODA said:
Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering. I sense much fear in you.

Seriously, though, I agree with you. I pretend Episodes I-III don't exist.

PerDiem

Look what I can do!!
NERDS!!!!!!!!!
bs13690-83559-albums-random-pics-pic43266-nerds-ogre.jpg

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Rescue Swimmer School

Hello,
I'm a proud "West Coast SAR School" graduate from HC-1s school back in 1983 before the program got totally jacked up for a few years after the Mirecki debacle. I am not judging anyone, but they lost a lot of good training value by moving it to one location and not having a couple of SEAL khakis running the schoolhouse. These men knew EXACTLY what they were doing and there was no ego involved.
Anyway, I doubt if the basics have changed in regards to conditioning, sound swim skills, comfort in the water, etc... Here is my .02 cents for folks coming into the program:

1. UPPER BODY STRENGTH (pull-ups...more pull-ups and a few more!) seriously, get your upper body in good condition for dealing with a survivor that weighs 300 lbs. with all their gear on in a high sea-state.

2. Pool conditioning...get in the pool as much as you can and work on your basic swim strokes, 25meter underwater swim, endurance...get a mask and snorkel if you aren't used to one also...RSS isn't the time to have it be your first with them.

3. Running...start out 1.5 like the PRT and work up to clicking over 7 minute miles for 3 miles...If you can work up to 5 at that pace, more the better...

4. Have GOOD running shoes that are already broken in.

5. Nutrition: Stay away from the junk food, eat complex carbs like pasta and also lots of fruits and veggies. Lean chicken and pork, rice, almonds...ALL the water you can drink...Walk around with a 1/2 gallon jug and keep draining it.

6. Sleep...Get a good night's rest every night you are in school...

7. Have FUN!