• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy SAR Swimmer school

MCraider09

In 18 , just enlisted as an aw and want to be rescue swimmer. does anyone have some tips or suggestions about getting ready for that school? thanks

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
It's the toughest (physically) school I've ever attended.
I went through at 18 too, in '88 and it kicked my ass.
I was an excellent swimmer.
Suggestions:
-Flutter kicks with fins on and push-ups.
-Bench press, lateral pull downs, dumbell rows, squats, leg presses.
-Runs weren't longer than 5 miles, because time constraints meant maximizing pool time.
-Distance swim, swimming with fins is very different than not, so it was a change for me. I was a 100m freestyle swimmer, and throwing on fins and buddy-towing someone for 2000yds sucked.
-Be very very comfortable in the water, I surf so getting thrashed about wasn't bad, but you'd be surprised how many folks aren't good in the water.
-Perform open-water swims. Anticipate performing tasks in swells, rotor-wash, and low-light conditions. Do this by swimming in the ocean at dawn and/or dusk.
Edit: Lnychburg, huh? No ocean swims for you, so find a cold river with some rapids and get used to cold water. Very very used to cold water.
Good luck, you have no idea how much fun the next few years of your life are going to be...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
only caveat: ORM any swims you do at dawn or dusk. critters like to feed at this time.

never pet a burning dog = never kick a hungry shark.

loadtoad

pilot
Contributor
only caveat: ORM any swims you do at dawn or dusk. critters like to feed at this time.

never pet a burning dog = never kick a hungry shark.

Everybody knows sharks only bite when you touch their private parts.

highside7r

None
Hozer has a pretty good routine and should work for you, doubt you will be able to get in any open ocean swims in, don't forget to practice pull ups. How comfortable are you getting pulled/pushed underwater? I've seen big guys that max everything in PT only to not do as well in the pool. If you have access to a pool, use it. Many students would come to us without ever touching a pair of fins or breathing from a snorkel. I've had to teach a few how to swim, guess the recruiters forgot that!

navy12

In 18 , just enlisted as an aw and want to be rescue swimmer. does anyone have some tips or suggestions about getting ready for that school? thanks

I'd like to help you out but chances are you will DOR, so I would just be wasting my time. If by chance you make it through SAR, AW school, SERE, FRAC, and every other school in the pipeline and then become a respected qualified Aircrew Rescue Swimmer you will not regret it, unless you mess up and get yourself killed (see the memorial board at AW A school). Just know that SAR school may seem hard but being an SAR AW at a deployed squadron will be a far greater test then the 5 weeks at ARSS. An AW3 gets more responsibility and respect than the average "Shoe" 0-3. You may find yourself all alone, left on station in a dark cold stormy ocean at 2am managing multiple survivors, some of which will be panicking and in shit condition and if at that moment you decide that you want to DOR, then you and everyone in the water will die... but on the bright side Crew Rest Rocks!!! SAR, like many other special programs are not for everyone, there were several stand up guys in my class who DOR'ed because it just wasn't for them, for the most part they went on to have good careers doing jobs they enjoyed, so don't worry if you don't fit in at SAR, just keep trying to find where you DO fit in, good luck!

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
...anyone have some tips or suggestions about getting ready for that school? thanks

I think this mantra holds true for all of these types of schools (i.e., ARSS, BUD/S, Dive School, SERE, etc.):

Never quit... Don't even think about quitting... If you think about quitting you've already failed...

Riptide80

Never quit... Don't even think about quitting... If you think about quitting you've already failed...

Great advice that has built the careers of thousands (who were told "they couldn't do it...").

S.O.B.

pilot
I'd like to help you out but chances are you will DOR, so I would just be wasting my time. If by chance you make it through SAR, AW school, SERE, FRAC, and every other school in the pipeline and then become a respected qualified Aircrew Rescue Swimmer you will not regret it, unless you mess up and get yourself killed (see the memorial board at AW A school). Just know that SAR school may seem hard but being an SAR AW at a deployed squadron will be a far greater test then the 5 weeks at ARSS. An AW3 gets more responsibility and respect than the average "Shoe" 0-3. You may find yourself all alone, left on station in a dark cold stormy ocean at 2am managing multiple survivors, some of which will be panicking and in shit condition and if at that moment you decide that you want to DOR, then you and everyone in the water will die... but on the bright side Crew Rest Rocks!!! SAR, like many other special programs are not for everyone, there were several stand up guys in my class who DOR'ed because it just wasn't for them, for the most part they went on to have good careers doing jobs they enjoyed, so don't worry if you don't fit in at SAR, just keep trying to find where you DO fit in, good luck!

Completely ridiculous. DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS GUY. The attrition rate when I was there was not very high and the majority of those had bad attitudes. If your motivated and prepared the instructors will work with you. Good luck!

navy12

I'm not about to sugar it up for you, I thought about quiting every minute of every day, hell I still think about quiting everything when shit gets hard, I know all the so called "tough" guys will say the thought never even crossed their mind while at ARSS or what have you, but do enough underwater sprints and watch the tough guy disapear and bitch come out.
If you ain't cheating you ain't trying and if you ain't at least thinking about quiting then you ain't thinking about the dangers around and YOU will get people killed! (just another mile in my "burning bridges" tour!!:D)