• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Reserve COVID Vaccinations by October

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I hardly think anyone in a contemporary home grown militia actually rests their raison d'etre on the effectiveness of the Revolutionary era militias. It doesn't matter how effective on the battlefield the Revolutionary militias were unless you are a history major writing a paper or historical inaccuracies spin you up.

I don't think you are paying enough attention then, especially to how central the mythology of how we gained our independence because of the militia is to the modern 'militia' members movement. So yeah, understanding that and how it is a factor in not only the modern militia movement but also things like gun control are pretty important to more than just a few history majors nerding out over some historical minutiae.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't think you are paying enough attention then, especially to how central the mythology of how we gained our independence because of the militia is to the modern 'militia' members movement. So yeah, understanding that and how it is a factor in not only the modern militia movement but also things like gun control are pretty important to more than just a few history majors nerding out over some historical minutiae.
The "myth" you speak of, does it include the philosophies of self sufficiency, patriotism, duty and sacrifice? When I think of the revolutionary era militias those are the things I think of. Defining today, militias in the country's infancy by their on field successes does not tell the whole story. If one were a revolutionary commander the battle successes of militia under your command is about the only thing that matters. Today we have the ability to look back at the larger value, or lack thereof, of these men. What motivated them to take up arms, why they stayed, how many transitioned to the Continental Army and the militia's effect on civilian community morale?

When I pay attention, these modern militia dudes see themselves as patriots carrying out their duty as citizens willing to sacrifice for their country. If you go to the grand motivation, over throwing the established order, that unfortunately, for many modern militias, is also shared with the revolutionary era militias. I really don't see the win/loss ratio of revolutionary militias as being central to what motivates modern militias or their internal identity.

Mirage

pilot
Do you really think there's a bunch of modern folks who think the best way to defend the US against our peers is a militia-only solution? That's insane.

The framers fondness of a militia came from their fear of a federal govt having a standing military that was loyal to the govt, that said govt could use as a tool to suppress the people. They were right to fear this, even by modern standards. It's a real threat. Plenty of current examples of this happening right now. Many would point to the US as an example, even, substituting our police force for the standing army.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I pay attention, these modern militia dudes see themselves as patriots carrying out their duty as citizens willing to sacrifice for their country.
Isn’t it interesting that these so called militias are almost always associated with fringe right wing political movements that tend to clash with authorities at all levels, and frequently espouse the violent overthrow of the USG… and in what I’m sure is a complete coincidence, just happen to align themselves with all kinds of nasty white supremacy causes. That’s a very Pollyanna view of patriotism you’ve fashioned for yourself, Wink.

Mirage

pilot
Isn’t it interesting that these so called militias are almost always associated with fringe right wing political movements that tend to clash with authorities at all levels, and frequently espouse the violent overthrow of the USG… and in what I’m sure is a complete coincidence, just happen to align themselves with all kinds of nasty white supremacy causes. That’s a very Pollyanna view of patriotism you’ve fashioned for yourself, Wink.
And what of orgs like Antifa and NFAC? Maybe your echo chamber doesn't mention those..

Mirage

pilot
What of them? I’m not adorning them with quaint notions of patriotism.
Nor is anyone else here. The original militias were not patriots in the eyes of the British, either. They were people fighting for what they believed in, much like those in militias or armed/unarmed groups on both sides of the aisle today. That's the point that was made.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nor is anyone else here. The original militias were not patriots in the eyes of the British, either. They were people fighting for what they believed in, much like those in militias or armed/unarmed groups on both sides of the aisle today. That's the point that was made.
Well, I’ll defer to Wink to respond to my critique of his post, but know that I do acknowledge and admire your predilection for the non-sequitur.

Mirage

pilot
Well, I’ll defer to Wink to respond to my critique of his post, but know that I do acknowledge and admire your predilection for the non-sequitur.
Please do enlighten me where I used a non-sequitur. Can always count on you to ignore all points made and deflect with nonsense.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Please do enlighten me where I used a non-sequitur. Can always count on you to ignore all points made and deflect with nonsense.
I’m not interested in your points. Perhaps you’ll figure that out some day, but please do have an amazing weekend. ?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The "myth" you speak of, does it include the philosophies of self sufficiency, patriotism, duty and sacrifice? When I think of the revolutionary era militias those are the things I think of. Defining today, militias in the country's infancy by their on field successes does not tell the whole story. If one were a revolutionary commander the battle successes of militia under your command is about the only thing that matters. Today we have the ability to look back at the larger value, or lack thereof, of these men. What motivated them to take up arms, why they stayed, how many transitioned to the Continental Army and the militia's effect on civilian community morale?

Those are indeed part of the enduring myth, with the myth not living up to the documented history. As for the supposed larger values, I think we have a tendency to place our contemporary values and ideals upon the militiamen, continuing to give them an outsized role in the making of our country.

When I pay attention, these modern militia dudes see themselves as patriots carrying out their duty as citizens willing to sacrifice for their country. If you go to the grand motivation, over throwing the established order, that unfortunately, for many modern militias, is also shared with the revolutionary era militias. I really don't see the win/loss ratio of revolutionary militias as being central to what motivates modern militias or their internal identity.

The vast majority of self-proclaimed modern 'militias' have nothing more than a deluded sense of self and of history, thinking themselves as some sort of vanguard or defenders of the 'Constitution' when in fact they are simply opposed to whatever partisan politics they disagree with and wrap themselves up in the flag, often literally, and use their 'interpretation' of the Constitution to justify their actions. More often that not they are nothing more than chauvinistic xenophobes whose beliefs often overlap that of racists for some reason, and who also like to put on a show of trying to intimidate their opponents with guns and a plethora of tacticool gear.

If these 'militia' members really want to serve their country there is a myriad of ways to do so without being a bunch of assholes.

A strong belief does not make one right.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
And what of orgs like Antifa and NFAC? Maybe your echo chamber doesn't mention those..

Although I find them repugnant (and ironic, in the case of "antifa"), as far as I know, those organizations don't claim the title "militia".

Either way, there are fringe groups giving the term "militia" a bad name with antisocial behavior and extremist positions. Looking overseas, the militia is often a local group that seeks to violently clash with an oppressive government and is, even more extreme, as they are not bound by any treaty or need for political viability. In our Founding Fathers' time, it was about seeking independence from Britain, a geographically-separate country, so militias were part of the road to freedom. Times were different.

Last edited: