• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Reserve COVID Vaccinations by October

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Saying all disciplinary actions are on the table is a statement intended to scare folks into submission. A.K.A., a threat. The threats my CO have given are just a more exact elaboration on what disciplinary actions could be taken.

You can say that about the UCMJ and orders in general if you want to be that broad.

Sure, that justification can be used for sea-going billets. If that were the goal, it could be a part of one's pre-deployment physicals. But military leadership isn't mandating the vaccine... that's Biden. Military leadership are, however, deciding to require it for folks separating within 180 days (the only vax these individuals can be required to get in this time frame), to deny exemptions, and to threaten severe punishments. Tell me again how requiring my friend, who will be on terminal leave when the mandate deadline expires, helps Navy readiness by getting the vax on his way out?

It does nothing for the military when a very significant portion of the force would not be deployable on short notice, and would not be for up to a month or more if folks had to get most of the vaccines available to deploy (two shots with a two week period afterwards for full efficacy).

Readiness is not only about worldwide deployability though and includes ensuring the entire force is as healthy and ready to perform their duties in general no matter where they happen to be in the world.

Finally, the military was moving forward with mandating the vaccine well before the President mandated it.

UInavy

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
“Accordingly, no one should be forced to receive a COVID-19 vaccine if it would violate the sanctity of his or her conscience”
‘sanctity of his or her conscience’ is doing quite a bit of work there.

The Bishop refers to these as ‘those who raise earnest, conscience-based objections’. The process for religious accommodation allows for an examination by a religious professional to determine the sincerity of beliefs for the service member. The operational side then states the operational impact if granted. Two distinct and separate evaluations.

Not to speculate too much, but the Catholic Church isn’t known for immediate and unexamined acceptance of ‘new’ members. They’re…… inquisitive at times. I don’t see this being used a large amount.

ABMD

Bullets don't fly without Supply
Looks like there's an exception for folks who are actively pursuing a religious exemption to allow that process to play out.

As a data point it looks like .

I heard mRNA is made from kittens

And baby seals, but humanely harvested baby seals.

Looks like I'll be in line at Portsmouth getting my Fauci ouchie this weekend!

SlickAg

pilot
Suicide isn’t contagious and those sailors were still deployable until they killed themselves so readiness
Remember when there were no deployments, no underways, and ships just stayed in port and airplanes stayed on the ground until we were able to vaccinate everyone to a state of acceptable readiness? I’m glad we can finally start being a seagoing (and flying) Navy again.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The actual statement. Sounds like he says if somebody doesn’t want it then the shouldn’t be obligated to get it. Quote “Accordingly, no one should be forced to receive a COVID-19 vaccine if it would violate the sanctity of his or her conscience”
https://files.milarch.org/archbishop/abp-statement-on-covid19-vaccines-and-conscience-12oct2021.pdf
Correct. That does not mean the Church says, or Broglio thinks getting the jab is "against the faith". It means that he believes there should be accommodation for moral objections, religious or not. He is clearly nudging the military to be more generous with waivers. That is about it.