• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Relieves Captain After Carrier Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I knew "Squid" Squires, too. Sailed with him when he was a VAW CO. He was a good man...still is. Unfortunately this is a fact of life when you assume the respnsibility of command...and the Navy's zero defect mentality is rampant.
The "temporary only" BS is bogus.. He's done.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
VetteMuscle427 said:
what happened to the CO of the sub that came up under the japanese fishing boat full of students?

He went to an ADM's board and got sacked. From what I heard from guys that served with him in the past and on that particular tour was that he acted like a cowboy. He wasn't a team player and was trying to show off. In the process he violated about a dozen safety rules and disregarded his enlisted crew's warnings just so he could show off for the civilians that were crammed into the CON.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
Bunk22: Ever heard of a helo guy commanding any large ship? CVN, Gator, any non oiler? Any ship at all for that matter?

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Yes in fact helo guys can be the CO of a ship. I think you see more helo guys in gator thou, road back me up if i am right on that one.

Alex

El Cid said:
No I know about that. Someone I went to school with at NSI said that the Greenville sideswiped another sub on the way out of port. I don't know maybe it was just scuttlebut after all.

El Cid,

Back in the 90s, it seemed to me that the Navy shifted its stance. It started being a lot more open and acknowledging when a sub had a "BumpEx." Do you know if that is still true, or are you hearing of incidents that the Navy never acknowledged?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
El Cid said:
He went to an ADM's board and got sacked. From what I heard from guys that served with him in the past and on that particular tour was that he acted like a cowboy. He wasn't a team player and was trying to show off. In the process he violated about a dozen safety rules and disregarded his enlisted crew's warnings just so he could show off for the civilians that were crammed into the CON.

There are always two sides to the story. I talked to a pair of guys who served on the ship TAD and they both said it was one of the tightest and happiest ships they had been on, and the Captain was one of the more professional guys they had worked with. With that said, basic safety and surfacing procedures were not followed for the surfacing. The Captain retired and went to Japan to apologize to the families, a very important thing over there.

It wasn't just any old fishing boat too, it was a high school ship. I can't think of a worse ship to run into. The Navy, along with the Japanese Navy, actually salvaged the ship (it was called the Ehime Maru) to recover the bodies but left the ship on the bottom. One of the most difficult salvage operations ever. Shows you the importance in which we hold our alliance with Japan. Here is a link:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2001/Oct/22/ln/ln04a.html

As for the Captain being relieved, maybe the Army could learn something from it. In my opinion, they should relieve everyone who was in charge at Abu Grahib, from the Company commander to the Battalion commanders all the way up to the people in charge of the prisons.

Fred

El Cid said:
This $hit sucks... some show probably dropped the ball and a good CO gets the axe. I wonder if anyone else went down on this. That would go along way in saying that it wasn't just the CO.

Incidentally though, he may be able to bounce back. If sub-CO's can ram another sub and still move on (2nd USS Greenville CO after fishing boat incident) shouldn't a good CVN CO be able to do the same?

Just wanted to point out the skipper of the JFK was a CV CO not a CVN CO.

Fred

El Cid said:
Bunk22: Ever heard of a helo guy commanding any large ship? CVN, Gator, any non oiler? Any ship at all for that matter?

The CO of the Lincoln, Capt. Card is a helo pilot. There are at least two helo guys in the CVN-PXO training pipeline at the moment.

Also, the CO of an oiler could very well be an aviator in the CV/CVN- CO pipeline doing his deep draft tour.

Road Program

Hangin' on by the static wicks
None
Falc...I wish I could back you up. The four CO's I saw on KSG were two SWOs, an F-14 pilot and F-14 NFO.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
Alex said:
El Cid,

Back in the 90s, it seemed to me that the Navy shifted its stance. It started being a lot more open and acknowledging when a sub had a "BumpEx." Do you know if that is still true, or are you hearing of incidents that the Navy never acknowledged?

Like I said, I don't know if it is true or scuttlebut.

El Cid

You're daisy if you do.
Flash said:
There are always two sides to the story. I talked to a pair of guys who served on the ship TAD and they both said it was one of the tightest and happiest ships they had been on, and the Captain was one of the more professional guys they had worked with.

Same CO? I know that the Greenville was a "happy" boat before this CO. After he came the command climate and morale went in the pooper. Remember with new CO's, XO's, and CMC's the entire command climate changes.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
El Cid said:
Same CO? I know that the Greenville was a "happy" boat before this CO. After he came the command climate and morale went in the pooper. Remember with new CO's, XO's, and CMC's the entire command climate changes.

They said it was the same guy. They were only TAD though.

Jolly Roger

Yes. I am a Pirate.
El Cid said:
While that is true, it still doesn't make sense if these things are intentionally playing chicken because they know we make every effort to move. From what I've heard these things aren't exactly rules of the road friendly. I would like to hear more about the specifics before getting to intrenched in an opinion. Though if Bunk22 says he's a good guy then that's enough for me.

The Soviet trawlers that shadowed our carriers off of Yankee Station, would harrass our carriers by setting collision course during critical evolutions, like flight ops and un-reps. So, it not the first time someone tried to play chicken with a CV or a CVN.

As far as COs being relieved, how about the CO of the Oriskany being relieved of command after the flare fire off Yankee Station, and the COs of the Forrestal and Enterprise not?

Status
Not open for further replies.