• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Relieves Captain After Carrier Crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clux4

Banned
I hate manning the rails. That is even worse than SDO. ( Man overboard :D)

Back to subject.
Unfortunately as any CO, you will be responsible for nuckle-heads who fail to perform.

Pags

N/A
pilot
bunk22 said:
To play devil's advocate even more, do zuni rockets just fire? Was there a defect, did the pilot have his armament switches in the appropriate place, etc. Those flares were shown to be defective in other incidents. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I think the Zuni that started the Forrestal fire was set off by a stray electrical discharge. There should have been safety devices in place to prevent this, but they were removed due to wartime expediency. I also read that a lot of the other ordance on the aircraft was old and in terrible shape. Bombs that should have been able to tolerate much hotter fires were exploding on deck due to their age. These bombs were forced on the carriers due to a supply shortage.

Oldflyer

Spad flyer
The zuni that started the Forrestal fire cooked off from the exhaust of a jet start unit parked too close.

It is true that the situation was much worse because many obsolescent bombs were on the flight deck. Thanks to McNamara trying to fight the war on the cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.