• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Pilot/ NFO "Rolling" Boards MAR/APR 2013

MarpatCam

ALCON,

My package was fully submitted last Thursday and I was told by my recruiter that I would know sometime in April if I am selected. I am a prior enlisted Marine and am (hopefully) crossing over into the Navy. I am beyond excited about this transition but I am also just trying to get more information about the potential for another March or April board. My questions are as follow:

1) Can anyone tell me the Navy's needs right now for pilots and NFOs? I read somewhere that they need 52 more pilots and 3 more NFOs to fulfill FY13 demands.

2) Can anyone tell me the truth factor behind a potential March or April board?

Thank you all in advance for your help.

V/R
-MarpatCam

delta215

MarpatCam

My OR is telling me the same thing regarding the rolling boards. I too am submitting my package for the next "rolling board". My OR tells me it will happen in early April most likely.

As for item 1, I read that as well.

I presume you are referring to this? http://recruitingcommand.com/texasnavy/2013/03/05/nfo-and-pilot-results-are-out/

I interpreted this message as they are trying to fill FY13 slots ASAP with people from the last board. While I am available "immediately" for OCS, I read it as the selectees from the last board will be filling the remaining slots you mentioned (52 sna, 3 snfo). Obviously I'd prefer to ship in FY13, since I am getting close to being "age critical". I hate that I missed the last board, but there's nothing I can do about that.

I am 28, prior enlisted also (former AT2 from the Hornet community). If the last board is any indication, I am cautiously optimistic about April. Good luck!

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
Hey guys! Non-prior, 2012 ECU graduate here, with a 2.95 GPA. I as well heard the same thing about the boards. Looks like they're seriously trying to fill some slots. 45 OAR 5/5/5 on my ASTB, which, accordng to my recruiter, says that the Navy is taking these scores. I did in fact hear that they are pushing to get another board in by the end of March... Below is from the same website delta215 posted earlier from:

http://recruitingcommand.com/texasnavy/2013/02/27/hotnfos-and-currently-pro-y-selects/

I also have VERY strong LORs from O6's in the Air Force, US House Rep, and a state legislature rep. I as well am remaining carefully optimistic about this haha. Good luck to you both!!!

MurphyM11

15 September 2013 OCS - SNA
Hey y'all!

Non-prior here as well(2011 Graduate Wake Forest University-Biology-2.97 59/7/7/7) , but my recruiter has told me the same thing. There is a great need for pilot/nfo and they are shifting to rolling boards. However, she hasn't specified when those boards might be. It was hinted towards possibly one at the end of March or beginning of April, but does anyone have more solid dates?

My recruiter only allowed me to submit LoR from my past employers. I didn't realize other types of LoR were allowed to be submitted. Can you submit additional resources to an already completed and submitted OCS package?

Also congrats to all those selected on the March 4th board!

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
My recruiter told me the same thing Murphy. Get as many strong LoRs as you can possible before your application gets submitted. Are you getting processed through NRD Durham!?

exNavyOffRec

The number depend on several factors, if a person picks SNA over SNFO, how many change their minds, and how many end up not being PQ.

If they are not going to pick nearly everyone again, the importance of the application is ASTB, then GPA, then motivational statement/LOR's

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
Test scores and GPA cannot be everything though. I have a logical reason as to why my GPA sucked...and thats because I tore my ACL and meniscus my senior fall semester, and my grades tanked a bit because I was trying to learn to walk again. (Which isn't an issue anymore, as I crossfit 6x a week, and very physically active...)

I understand you have to meet the bare minimum with the academics, but its a "whole person" concept.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
The guy trying to get in telling the guy who's job is to get people in what the board is looking for in an applicant. Love it.

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
No no no no!! haha I understand I know NOTHING. But, I mean c'mon! It has to be a whole person concept. Not everything can be based SOLELY on the test scores? I'm looking simply for morale, as is a lot of other people! This is just what I've heard.

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
I'm sure the docs will love hearing about how the ACL isn't an issue either!

nah, not really at all. Especially since i'm an avid crossfitter that works out twice a day, six times a week. If it was an issue, I'm guessing I would have never received a 100% go from the surgeon that operated on me.

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
The number depend on several factors, if a person picks SNA over SNFO, how many change their minds, and how many end up not being PQ.

If they are not going to pick nearly everyone again, the importance of the application is ASTB, then GPA, then motivational statement/LOR's

I'm just stating what I have heard. I agree, it is important, because god forbid somebody with the bare minimum gets it... 34 4/4/4. I like to look at the glass half full!

exNavyOffRec

No no no no!! haha I understand I know NOTHING. But, I mean c'mon! It has to be a whole person concept. Not everything can be based SOLELY on the test scores? I'm looking simply for morale, as is a lot of other people! This is just what I've heard.

But it is not the whole person concept in regards to aviation, with nearly all other designators yes, with aviation they put the heaviest weight on what has proven to be the best indicator of a person making it thru flight school. Examples, I have had people selected with near perfect scores, but 3.0 GPA, no community service, no team activities, OK LOR's, but he just went to school, yet another, very good GPA, piss poor scores, NCAA Div 1 athlete, team captain, he was not selected.

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
But it is not the whole person concept in regards to aviation, with nearly all other designators yes, with aviation they put the heaviest weight on what has proven to be the best indicator of a person making it thru flight school. Examples, I have had people selected with near perfect scores, but 3.0 GPA, no community service, no team activities, OK LOR's, but he just went to school, yet another, very good GPA, piss poor scores, NCAA Div 1 athlete, team captain, he was not selected.

Yeah I can see the correlation there... My package looks pretty strong. Too much stuff, and I'd hate to bore ya'll with it. It sounds as if I'm the "average" applicant. I had one bad semester while in school which brought my GPA below where I wanted it to. My knee is currently being looked at, and will definitely be looked at in MEPS in a few weeks.

Thanks for the optimism and constructive criticism guys. I always look for it, and take it the best way that I can. I am just looking to see how good my package is and get some personal opinions.