• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Pilot/ NFO "Rolling" Boards MAR/APR 2013

MasterBates

What is your degree in? Because your ASTB scores aren't rocking the Navy's world. Also, as much as I hate people "Studying" for the ASTB (it's an APTITUDE Test) did you do any studying at all for it?

The "Whole Person" concept applies more to other designators. It don't cost a whole hell of a lot to send a SWO to OCS, then the fleet, then decide he sucks.

It costs a whole metric fuckton of money to send someone through flight school. The CHEAPEST trainer you will fly is somewhere in the area of $700 an hour. And that's not counting what your sim guys, IPs, or support staff cost.. Or that you are getting paid and moving on the govt dime at least twice between OCS and fleet, three or four time isn't unlikely, and five isn't unheard of.

The Navy has a lot more financial disincentive to take a risk on someone with meh test scores, but good LORs than they do on "Joe Slightly Aboveaverage" who rocks the ASTB, and has a 3.5 in engineering or a physical science.

What was your degree in? If one bad semester brought you to a 2.95, you weren't a 4.0 student..

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
I'm just going to listen to what my Navy recruiter says. Too many times I've been told no. I'll let the officer selection boards decide whether or not I'm in.

and I got my B.S in Geographic Information Science and Technology... no easy cakewalk. And as I said before, I'll reiterate again... made deans list all throughout my tenure in school, bad injury, spent time trying to heal it back up.

MasterBates

Make them tell you no. You can't be accepted if you don't apply.

Just be realistic. And try not to tell those who have BTDT, how it works. I thought I knew how all this shit worked when I was applying. I've been in the reserves for a year, after 12 on AD. I basically have only begun to get a grasp on what I don't know.

exNavyOffRec

Yeah I can see the correlation there... My package looks pretty strong. Too much stuff, and I'd hate to bore ya'll with it. It sounds as if I'm the "average" applicant. I had one bad semester while in school which brought my GPA below where I wanted it to. My knee is currently being looked at, and will definitely be looked at in MEPS in a few weeks.

Thanks for the optimism and constructive criticism guys. I always look for it, and take it the best way that I can. I am just looking to see how good my package is and get some personal opinions.

If you don't get picked up this time you can retest and go again, I will say I would be more concerned about your knee, just because your doctor says you are 100% doesn't mean you are 100% in the military's eyes.

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS
If you don't get picked up this time you can retest and go again, I will say I would be more concerned about your knee, just because your doctor says you are 100% doesn't mean you are 100% in the military's eyes.

Roger that. I am keeping my head below the clouds BECAUSE of the knee situation. But thanks for giving me feedback, I greatly appreciate it. I will just have to try this go round.

BleedGreen

pilot
Not to detract from the current subject but does anyone have concrete evidence of this new rolling board schedule outside of Houston's NRD blog? An official board schedule?I know everyone has "heard" about it but I am trying to find something I can show my recruiter who has no idea what I am talking about when I say "rolling board."

exNavyOffRec

Not to detract from the current subject but does anyone have concrete evidence of this new rolling board schedule outside of Houston's NRD blog? An official board schedule?I know everyone has "heard" about it but I am trying to find something I can show my recruiter who has no idea what I am talking about when I say "rolling board."

I personally know some of the senior leadership at NRD Houston, if it wasn't accurate, it wouldn't be out there.

BleedGreen

pilot
I personally know some of the senior leadership at NRD Houston, if it wasn't accurate, it wouldn't be out there.

That's good to hear, I have spoke to some of the folks at NRD Houston. They are really awesome people, very helpful. Well my recruiter comes back Monday, first I have get him to submit my reconsideration for my physical, then hopefully submit for the rolling boards.
Maybe I'll send him the link to their blog and see if that helps...

GISpirate12

FS SNFO OCS

Could you explain in more detail with what a "rolling boards" definition is Sir? I think I might have the concept, but if you could clarify it up for me that would be great!! Thanks in advance.

exNavyOffRec

Could you explain in more detail with what a "rolling boards" definition is Sir? I think I might have the concept, but if you could clarify it up for me that would be great!! Thanks in advance.

The definition can vary, but in general I would say they mean that there may be boards that are not on the schedule (they can hold them at will)

MarpatCam

Bleed Green,

I think our source is all coming from the Houston blog. I started this thread to see if I could find a more solid answer myself. Sorry, my friend.