• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy or Air Force, Pilot or Spec Warfare?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
When I took the OAR the first time I was 6/6/6, is there anyway to work on that score for the flight aptitude part?

There's a whole section dedicated to that on this site.

Let's say you get rotary, can you intentionally suck so bad they move you back to fixed wing?

Other way around. The rotary community is nothing more than a bunch of Warrens and Forrests.

Ghost SWO

Contributor
I'm guessing the Army base stations come from the fact I would be supporting their SF teams? What about recommendations? I was told a few years ago you need strong letters of recommendation to be considered for an officer slot.

Let's say you get rotary, can you intentionally suck so bad they move you back to fixed wing?
It's just the nature of the beast for USAF Spec Ops personnel, they are often assigned to large Army installations supporting the ID's (Infantry Divisions). I Figured I would bring that up if you had some quality of life concerns since you only mentioned USAF and USN. You'll often be assigned to places that end in "Field".

I wouldn't be so against the idea of rotary... You may be surprised, sometimes they only reason people don't want to fly helicopters is because they have some preconceived notion or prejudice towards them. They're a ton of fun, so don't rule them out, and as others have mentioned, they have a stronger tie to the Spec Ops side of the things.

villo0692

is it
I'm not a pilot, but I had my time working in naval aviation, and idk man, I think you're approaching all this with the wrong attitude, I understand you might prefer one platform over another one, but if you go into the military with that mentality, you're not going to get very far

exNavyOffRec

Hey guys,

My buddy turned me onto this forum years ago and I recently found a note I had written the URL on, I figured this would be a great place to ask a few basic questions to get opinions.

I'm a college grad looking to join the military as I am finding I had the corporate, 9-5 world; I get paid well, but the jobs suck. I have 2 Bachelor of Science degrees, one in Cybersecurity and one in Computer Science; I am only 23 and graduated in 2019.

I'm trying to decide between the Air Force and the Navy for either of their piloting of Spec Forces/Spec Ops rates. I was wondering if anyone would have any experience as a PJ and could shed some light as to what they do, there's plenty out there about SEALs, but any info on them would be appreciated as well. Also, for the pilots, the difference in the Air Force and Navy piloting programs and which you would recommend. I really don't want rotary, I want fighter or reconnaissance aircraft.

What test scores do I need for the various jobs, and I know there are different tests for Officer and Enlisted, any idea what rank I would be bumped to if I went enlisted with my degrees? Any study guides? I took the ASVAB back in highschool, so I know I haven't seen some of that stuff for well over 6 years, same with the ASTB. I took the OAR once, any way to train for that to get better scores?

For the Air Force, what does selection look like after indoc? Is it like the Navy where you have to choose from what they have open, or do you get to push for a specific aircraft?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

If you are looking at RW and special forces you are probably better off looking at the Army, there are a few former PJ's I have talked to in VFW circles and pretty much it was just flying and picking up injured guys.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
@QuinnyFTWinny I hope you are taking notes. This is the best info you will ever get, anywhere. Smartest thing you have done in your nascent pursuit of a military career was posting here. These guys have experience and insight beyond what you'd find in their Airwarriors bio. Even the memes and sarcasm are sending messages. They are fvcking with you with a purpose. Based on just your resume, you are qualified for lots of careers in the military. Whether your judgment in choosing one over another is worth a shit is another thing. Seriously, slow your role and ponder the knowledges these guys are putting down.

johnboyA6E

None
it's not "where the good ones go" it's where the Navy needs you to go

if you suck at it, they will work with you to try to fix you. if you still suck, because you'd rather be flying fixed wing, or because you're not willing to put in the work, or because you just can't hack it, they WILL move you out of rotary wing but it won't be to fixed wing

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
So it's more of where the good ones go?

it's not "where the good ones go" it's where the Navy needs you to go

Absolutely what johnboy said.

Some fixed-wing has a higher "graded" standard than other communities, but that's only one piece of the puzzle. There's plenty of people who barely met the standard who went on to fly jets (well), and plenty of people who greatly exceeded the standard to get jets and went on to fly helos.

I would recommend doing some more reading on the site here. For this particular topic, look in the "Primary" section. Lot's of jets vs helo grades discussion.