• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy or Air Force, Pilot or Spec Warfare?

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Hey guys,

My buddy turned me onto this forum years ago and I recently found a note I had written the URL on, I figured this would be a great place to ask a few basic questions to get opinions.

I'm a college grad looking to join the military as I am finding I had the corporate, 9-5 world; I get paid well, but the jobs suck. I have 2 Bachelor of Science degrees, one in Cybersecurity and one in Computer Science; I am only 23 and graduated in 2019.

I'm trying to decide between the Air Force and the Navy for either of their piloting of Spec Forces/Spec Ops rates. I was wondering if anyone would have any experience as a PJ and could shed some light as to what they do, there's plenty out there about SEALs, but any info on them would be appreciated as well. Also, for the pilots, the difference in the Air Force and Navy piloting programs and which you would recommend. I really don't want rotary, I want fighter or reconnaissance aircraft.

What test scores do I need for the various jobs, and I know there are different tests for Officer and Enlisted, any idea what rank I would be bumped to if I went enlisted with my degrees? Any study guides? I took the ASVAB back in highschool, so I know I haven't seen some of that stuff for well over 6 years, same with the ASTB. I took the OAR once, any way to train for that to get better scores?

For the Air Force, what does selection look like after indoc? Is it like the Navy where you have to choose from what they have open, or do you get to push for a specific aircraft?

Any and all information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

You're going to need to choose a direction here. SpecWar requires you to eat, sleep, and breath being an operator. If you are not 100% committed you will be weeded out long before you ever make it to BUD/S or whatever the USAF calls their schoolhouse. If you show up with a chip on your shoulder like you seem to have, they will ridicule you mercilessly and then weed you out long before you get to BUD/S or whatever the USAF calls their schoolhouse. If you want the inside skinny, connections with real SOF bubbas, and help getting selected, go talk to the lads at SOCNET found here: http://www.socnet.com/. Just remember that you need to be humble and willing to learn or they will ridicule you mercilessly and boot you from the forum.

As far as aviation, this board is likely the single most dense repository of Naval Aviation information and experience on the interwebz. Expect them to mess with you, especially when you are so lazy that you cannot even perform a cursory search through the forum prior to asking questions. Many of the questions you have asked have been asked thousands of times and there are probably at least ten threads answering them. The way you react when we post silly answers is our way to judge whether we think you'll be a good fit in aviation and whether you are worth our time or not. We have pressing matters to discuss such as Maddog's latest excursion to Hooters, Chuck and Griz's latest adventures in general aviation, and choker whites and dining outs. If you want our knowledges, then you need to make it worth our while.

Let's say you get rotary, can you intentionally suck so bad they move you back to fixed wing?

This is absolutely, 100% NOT the attitude you should have.