• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy OCS

jacks

I'm a U.S Citizen living in Ireland, and due to personal reasons (my girlfriend living in Ireland for now) I'd like to do a degree in a university here and then go for the OCS programme, would this be possible or does the degree have to be from a U.S University?
Alternatively I could do the Irish Navy's officer course, instead of a degree if this would be acceptable?

jacks

I would if I could anytime! But I'm 17.... I have to go wherever my parents make me! And my girlfriend is a year behind me in school so I want to do something in Ireland while she's finishing up, and there is the issue she's a non citizen.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Irish Navy officer's course - acceptable if you want to be in the Irish Navy but to the U.S. Navy is nothing.

Some foreign degrees from some foreign universities can be used to meet the USN criteria. But which universities and which degrees who'd have to ask an officer recruiter to research. It's not common knowledge and it's a relatively few that are acceptable.

BTW, in the U.S. it's program not programme. If you want to be in the U.S. Navy, they will expect you to spell the American way. Not a criticism, just something to start working on.

KBayDog

And my girlfriend is a year behind me in school...she's a non citizen.

Mary-Kate-Danaher-the-quiet-man-26876087-256-197.jpg

Well done, my friend!

Let me know when the bare-knuckle brawl with her morbidly obese brother happens; I want to be there.

jacks

Thanks for your advice, yeah I've been here since 2001 so I've been taught the non-American way of spelling things!
I've got a question about deployments too, I hear they are 6 to 8 months on a carrier, are you on the carrier all the time for the duration of the deployment or is there a fair bit of liberty where you can visit foreign ports and say see the sights or your family? And how many years do you spend on Sea duty before you switch to a shore posting, and how long is that shore posting then? Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get all my facts right!

jacks

Mary-Kate-Danaher-the-quiet-man-26876087-256-197.jpg

Well done, my friend!

Let me know when the bare-knuckle brawl with her morbidly obese brother happens; I want to be there.
Huh? I thought us Americans were supposed to be the fat ones! She doesn't have a brother but her sister does taekwondo and would probably kick all our asses! xD

KBayDog

Huh? I thought us Americans were supposed to be the fat ones! She doesn't have a brother but her sister does taekwondo and would probably kick all our asses! xD

Son, you need to brush up on your Irish knowledges.

This particular set of knowledges will also help you regain your cred as a 'Murrican.

exNavyOffRec

Irish Navy officer's course - acceptable if you want to be in the Irish Navy but to the U.S. Navy is nothing.

Some foreign degrees from some foreign universities can be used to meet the USN criteria. But which universities and which degrees who'd have to ask an officer recruiter to research. It's not common knowledge and it's a relatively few that are acceptable.

BTW, in the U.S. it's program not programme. If you want to be in the U.S. Navy, they will expect you to spell the American way. Not a criticism, just something to start working on.

Generally the degrees from the UK are ok, but the applicant has to pay for an evaluation from some board here in the US (specific name escapes me), this has to be done AFTER you get the degree, so if you get a foreign degree, and then pay to have evaluated then if it doesn't cut it you are SOL.

If you want to be in the USN that come here and get a degree from the USA.

exNavyOffRec

I would if I could anytime! But I'm 17.... I have to go wherever my parents make me! And my girlfriend is a year behind me in school so I want to do something in Ireland while she's finishing up, and there is the issue she's a non citizen.

Don't worry about the GF, you are 17, odds are many will come and go between now and when you graduate college, or given the percent of people staying together forever from the age of 17 there should be more girls.

I can tell you from experience if I could go back to when I was 17 I would have done things alot different, and in this order, blonde, brunette, redhead, then repeat.

jacks

Son, you need to brush up on your Irish knowledges.

This particular set of knowledges will also help you regain your cred as a 'Murrican.
Murricah, fuck yeah! I'll break out the paddycaps and the dutch gold then. xD

Generally the degrees from the UK are ok, but the applicant has to pay for an evaluation from some board here in the US (specific name escapes me), this has to be done AFTER you get the degree, so if you get a foreign degree, and then pay to have evaluated then if it doesn't cut it you are SOL.

If you want to be in the USN that come here and get a degree from the USA.
Yeah I want to be in the USN, but I'm not going to casually travel across the atlantic and abandon my girlfriend for a year before I'm even commissioned in the Navy. I'd much rather pay a bit of cash to a review board and keep my girlfriend! There is a maritime college near where I live here, I could always get a Merchant Navy officers license and apply for OCS with that?

exNavyOffRec

There is a maritime college near where I live here, I could always get a Merchant Navy officers license and apply for OCS with that?

It has to be what the US would consider a 4 year degree, and we are putting more and more emphasis on technical degrees all the time, so I would consider that.

jacks

Don't worry about the GF, you are 17, odds are many will come and go between now and when you graduate college, or given the percent of people staying together forever from the age of 17 there should be more girls.

I can tell you from experience if I could go back to when I was 17 I would have done things alot different, and in this order, blonde, brunette, redhead, then repeat.
I was a brunette, redhead, blonde guy, but trust me this is forever, sounds stupid I know, but I don't expect anyone to know the circumstances, so I'll understand if you don't understand! Plus we start younger over here ;)
But regardless the Girlfriend is here to stay, and the fact I have one shouldn't hinder me from serving my country.

jacks

It has to be what the US would consider a 4 year degree, and we are putting more and more emphasis on technical degrees all the time, so I would consider that.
A lot of 4 year degrees in the U.S are the equivalent of 3 year degrees in Europe though, which may be an issue.

MasterBates

Unless you are going to an Oxford equivalent... Good luck getting that certified equivalent.

Going through this ass pain right now with a Engineer that works for me that went to Edinburgh

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2