• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy OCS Chow Hall

LET73

I bet they don't let the DIs stand on the table and kick trays anymore.... Kind of a shame, really.

dimlight85

bears, beets, battlestar galactica.
There is a reason for that. In P'cola, I guess OCS had it's own dedicated chow hall. Up in Newport, everyone eats at the same place, including guests and other commissioning sources. Twice we were in chow during indoc week when a group of JROTC kids were there. I was a lucky one who had the Destroyer and he was being particularly crazy that day in chow. One of the other DI's saw how terrified those kids were and actually had to come over to stop him.

As far as PT goes. No more do you run sprints and do extra PT on carrier run days (during regularly scheduled PT) and skipping cool down stretches became a major no-no in about my third week there. One day the Destroyer tells us we'll never do a cool down circle after a run cause it's gay and a couple days later he demanded we do one like the rest of the regiment. Also, since it's written that there can be no unsupervised PT, doing the required 105 situps and pushups every night also was outlawed. That was passed down in about the third week as well. All of the PT changes happened pretty abruptly in one fell swoop after an overload in H was noticed based mostly on injuries caused by unneeded PT and exercises not listed as "standard" navy exercises. According to the Destroyer, because of the change, our class had the worst PT scores of any class he has ever had...gosh, I was disappointed.

LET73

There is a reason for that. In P'cola, I guess OCS had it's own dedicated chow hall. Up in Newport, everyone eats at the same place, including guests and other commissioning sources. Twice we were in chow during indoc week when a group of JROTC kids were there. I was a lucky one who had the Destroyer and he was being particularly crazy that day in chow. One of the other DI's saw how terrified those kids were and actually had to come over to stop him.

That's hilarious. Those poor kids.... I work with a bunch of LDO types who went through knife and fork school in Newport after OCS moved up there. They always found chow pretty entertaining, watching the OCS guys. I'm sure the DIs have come up with things to make up for the more relaxed chow environment. We did have our own chow hall in Pensacola; the DIs owned it, and it was always an experience. Once we were candios, we may have started sneaking off to the other chow hall to eat like real people once in a while. :D

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
it's gay.

Yup. Sounds like him. I was fortunate enough to have him for his first class. Glad to hear he hasn't changed. He can be funny as hell when he wants to be and had us cracking up (in OCS standards anyways) after our first liberty and when we became candios. He didn't have the nickname yet either.

BackOrdered

Contributor
As far as PT goes. No more do you run sprints and do extra PT on carrier run days (during regularly scheduled PT) and skipping cool down stretches became a major no-no in about my third week there. One day the Destroyer tells us we'll never do a cool down circle after a run cause it's gay and a couple days later he demanded we do one like the rest of the regiment. Also, since it's written that there can be no unsupervised PT, doing the required 105 situps and pushups every night also was outlawed. That was passed down in about the third week as well. All of the PT changes happened pretty abruptly in one fell swoop after an overload in H was noticed based mostly on injuries caused by unneeded PT and exercises not listed as "standard" navy exercises. According to the Destroyer, because of the change, our class had the worst PT scores of any class he has ever had...gosh, I was disappointed.

I'm....speechless. They basically completely nerfed the Destroyer experience.

BigL17

Wow it sounds like everyone wears there beatings as scars/ badges of honor. I'm sure when I arrive to OCS there will be plenty of beatings to go around.

Rhabdomyolysis sounds terrible. I have heard of pissing fire but pissing syrup does not sound sweet either:eek:. I hope that's not a common incidence.

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
I noticed that too. I think I've gotten so used to the war spoon that I will continue to eat like that after OCS.

On second thought, maybe not...

Lol. Some of my best (worst) memories at OCS were the many breakfasts, lunches, and dinners I spent across from OC W***h with his head canted at a 30-degree angle (of course).

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
At Newport, nearly all was lost in translation... It is a clean and orderly place that you 'rest up'. Voices are kept down for the most part, everyone is squeaky clean walking in and out. Low stress environment in comparison...

Not true.

I can vividly remember more than a few chows spent crunching sand in my meal because my gouge pack/arm was still covered in it having come directly from the SUYA to chow and DID I TELL YOU TO BRUSH YOURSELF OFF CANDIDATE?!!?

And despite the "non-ballistic" policy of the chow hall, you're very much still ballistic there.

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Lol. Some of my best (worst) memories at OCS were the many breakfasts, lunches, and dinners I spent across from OC W***h with his head canted at a 30-degree angle (of course).

Don't forget the habitual head bob every time he had food in his mouth at the 10 minute warning;)

alpineskier

gear up, Newspaper, your airplane
pilot
head games are the worst. Our class spent almost 3 weeks total in poopie suits. indoc week, week 2 becuase NAPS cleaned out the uniform shop and a week long stint week 6/7. Not only in poopie suits, but we were treated like indocs for the week. No cutting the deck and speaking indoc all over again. It sucked bad. Gunny H was a scary dude. He looked like a bear, but gunny S***L new how to lay a beatin down. "get in my rest position right now". worst crap ever.