• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy OCS Chow Hall

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Would that Be Gunny Erwin from around the 1999 timeframe? I had watch and he came in, lined up his class and beat them, all over the intercom system. He would just look at us then say into the mic "Oh no so and so's back isn't straight start over, or, that's right so and so don't put in any effort start over" lol I ended up pushing for something or another.

He had just come back in early '98. He's the guy in the OCS video that we had to see at the recruiters... He's the guy screaming at Macklin.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
What do you think are the most important exercises to excel in before OCS other than running, situps, and pushups?

Those basics will get you through. You can't practice for the kind of shit they'll put you through. However, I will say: pushups are probably the most important of all the PT. If you can run OK, then you'll be in an ability group at PT and run with the slow kids. No one will harass you at PT, especially if you're in the pack with the other slow kids.

But if you're dropped as a class, it's a level playing field. If you start shaking or drop your knees on pushups, you WILL stand out.

Therefore, Pushups > running.

Abs are kind of important too since a lot of beatings are ab work, but pushups are probably the most common type of PT you'll do in a beating.

Res784

What do you think are the most important exercises to excel in before OCS other than running, situps, and pushups?

Some of the hardest RPT sessions our class got were the ones where we weren't even moving. DI would beat us for a couple minutes and then make us hold our rifles out in front of us. We were sucking at drill one morning and I must have screwed a little thing up and our DI made me, and only me, hold my rifle straight out w/ both arms and he had a candidate stand in front of me and extend his arm out up against my chest. If I let the rifle descend and touch his arm, he said he would pop our hearts. Didn't drop it - Longest 60 seconds of my life.

One of the harder things you'll do is lying on your back and holding your legs 6 inches off the ground.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
Would that Be Gunny Erwin from around the 1999 timeframe? I had watch and he came in, lined up his class and beat them, all over the intercom system. He would just look at us then say into the mic "Oh no so and so's back isn't straight start over, or, that's right so and so don't put in any effort start over" lol I ended up pushing for something or another.

That's the one. And he was, indeed, the guy in the video. I remember thinking, "What are the odds that they guy in the video is still there, and better yet, what are the odds that I'll get him as my DI?" Sure enough, when I saw him come out from behind the curtain during indoc, I about crapped myself.

Ended up being a great guy. Great for comedy and could yell louder than any SOB I had ever met. He hooked a few of us up with a house on the water that a friend of his was renting out and he'd come over fairly often after we got out of OCS.

Our class Chief was fair at best and our class officer was worthless. I mean the type of worthless that she flunked out of SWOS. She took leave for two weeks while we were there and none of us even noticed until she gathered us up to tell us about her trip.

CUPike11

Still avoiding work as much as possible....
None
Contributor
One of the harder things you'll do is lying on your back and holding your legs 6 inches off the ground.

Fuckin A 6 inches?!?! :eek:

I thought I was done with that shit after football/basketball in high school and rowing freshman year of college.

Great. Just Great.

MidWestEwo

None
Those basics will get you through. You can't practice for the kind of shit they'll put you through. However, I will say: pushups are probably the most important of all the PT. If you can run OK, then you'll be in an ability group at PT and run with the slow kids. No one will harass you at PT, especially if you're in the pack with the other slow kids.

But if you're dropped as a class, it's a level playing field. If you start shaking or drop your knees on pushups, you WILL stand out.

Therefore, Pushups > running.

Abs are kind of important too since a lot of beatings are ab work, but pushups are probably the most common type of PT you'll do in a beating.

What kind of pace and distance is required to be in the fast group? I really do not want to be in the slow group..

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
What kind of pace and distance is required to be in the fast group? I really do not want to be in the slow group..
Why not? I'm just curious why you'd say this. As Otto said, you don't get harrassed during runs unless you fall out of the run. In fact, the fast group actually did more running...they'd be sprinting up and down a hill until the medium and slow group got back from their runs.

I don't know the hard numbers for fast/med/slow, but it's something around sub 10-9.5/sub 11-10.5/Over 10.5-11 for the breakdown.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The slow group isn't that bad. Just run your PRT and you'll be placed in the appropriate group. No gaming required.

They don't take the slow group out back to be shot. They commission just like everyone else.

I max out PU and SU, but my genetics just make me SLOOOW. I was in the slug group and here I am about to join the fleet. Just do what you need to do, and everything will work out.

MidWestEwo

None
Why not? I'm just curious why you'd say this. As Otto said, you don't get harrassed during runs unless you fall out of the run. In fact, the fast group actually did more running...they'd be sprinting up and down a hill until the medium and slow group got back from their runs.

I don't know the hard numbers for fast/med/slow, but it's something around sub 10-9.5/sub 11-10.5/Over 10.5-11 for the breakdown.

Nothing against the slow group, and if I get placed in it then that is fine. I feel like I have been pushing myself pretty hard training for OCS, and I want to get the most out of my training there. I am sure I will bite my tongue when I get there though. I just don't want to always keep playing catch up either.
What if a fast-group runner slows down? Do they just slip on in with the medium group and keep trucking?

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Nothing against the slow group, and if I get placed in it then that is fine. I feel like I have been pushing myself pretty hard training for OCS, and I want to get the most out of my training there. I am sure I will bite my tongue when I get there though. I just don't want to always keep playing catch up either.
What if a fast-group runner slows down? Do they just slip on in with the medium group and keep trucking?

Yes, and that is frowned upon. Which is WHY I am saying don't try to push to get yourself into a group where you'll be struggling. It's better to be comfortable or working decently hard in the slow group, and then join the Medium group when you feel you're capable, then to be all moto, push for the medium group, struggle to keep up on every run (getting that unwanted attention) and then fall out and have to join the slow group. THAT will be bad.

By no means am I saying game the system. I am just saying don't motivate yourself into a bad situation. Go with the group you SHOULD be with, and don't try to show initiative beyond your capability and end up screwing yourself.

BackOrdered

Contributor

Make sure you get my DI ***** the Destroyer. In his class there is no exception, if you are out of shape, he will roll you, not intentionally, but after some of the worse beatdowns and most physical PT standards in the regiment.

1. No slow group, if you are slow you will just fall behind everyday, he will take your "kill card" and you will get it from his office after PT (a beatdown basically).

2. We had to do 105 push ups and sit ups every day before lights out, record it with the PT body, and have it on his desk every morning. And he checks the cameras to see who is blowing him off.

3. Prepare to be the last class to leave the PT field well after week one.

4. A fast sip of water during hydration at PT vs. actually getting to finish the canteen in all the other classes.

5. He skips cool down stretches when he is pissed at us.

6. Around the clock beatdowns that make the other classes stare is awe.

7. Look up Rhabdomyolysis in your spare time.

All just to name a few.

I will say this, I was never so ripped in my life.