• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy OCS Chow Hall

Picaroon

Helos
pilot
What's the deal with the personalized tshirts? They look sweet. "I went to Navy OCS and all I got was this lousy t-shirt... and a commission"

m26

Contributor
WRT OCS, I sure hope they don't. This rumor I've been hearing about the Marines getting scaled back is a terrible idea.

My processor alluded to this. I would be very disappointed for this reason:

I will always remember my class team... especially my DI. You're supposed to never forget your DI. Removing them or "watering them down" is like saying they are thinking about making the NFL flag football.

I watched Officer and a Gentleman (only the good parts ;)) the other day, and I saw those nicknames on the back of the shirts ("Mayonnaise"). I didn't know they still did that. Or is it a class-specific thing?

BigIron

Remotely piloted
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What's the deal with the personalized tshirts? They look sweet. "I went to Navy OCS and all I got was this lousy t-shirt... and a commission"

It's a class T shirt with your class' specific crap on it. We didn't wear them until we were candidate officers. Last 2 weeks of the program.

m26

Contributor
That movie is nothing like the real thing. It's completely disgusting to me. I can't watch it.

I like it for....what's the word? "Schtick value"? But Louis Gossett Jr is pretty great in it. Not in the same league with Ermey in Full Metal Jacket, though.

RedFive

pilot
None
Contributor
I like it for....what's the word? "Schtick value"? But Louis Gossett Jr is pretty great in it. Not in the same league with Ermey in Full Metal Jacket, though.

Ugh. No. No he's not. His character is completely wimped out. Under no circumstances would a real DI act in an unprofessional and unscary manner like that. Stop watching it now!

m26

Contributor
It's back at the library, no worries. ;)

I traded it in for the ultra-realistic Three Kings...

Incenter12

Go Blue
pilot
A couple of y'all looked a little rusty on eating by the numbers in that vid. That practice definitely goes down in Candio phase. The sounding off outside seemed to still be in pretty good practice.

I tried eating chicken off the bone one day. Never attempted that again.

LET73

Do you get to decide what to eat from what's available?

Generally, no. You might earn the right to eat different types of items, though. I still remember the first day I got to eat cereal--best Raisin Bran I've ever had.

One thing I noticed about the video was the two candios eating left-handed. Do you really get to eat by the numbers left-handed now?

Mr. Blonde

My ass is a motherfuckin' champion
pilot
For anyone going to OCS in the near future, consider yourself lucky if you get the drill instructor in that video. I had him when I went through last year and he's one of the finest Marine/mentors I've ever met, including my time in Quantico.

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
For anyone going to OCS in the near future, consider yourself lucky if you get the drill instructor in that video. I had him when I went through last year and he's one of the finest Marine/mentors I've ever met, including my time in Quantico.

He just made Gunny...well deserved. Also, the most decorated Marine of all the drill instructors.

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
When I went through OCS many years ago (Class 20-00, More Zeroes Than The Rest [Quite true, we were shitty]) There was a guy a few classes behind us that just took off one night. Hopped in his car and left in his 3rd week or something.

When he was finally found a few days later they asked him why he went UA, ruined his chances at becoming an officer, getting a weird discharge and generally screwed up his life. His answer: Chow Hall Procedures.

Of course, as Candi-O's, we all died laughing at this news. But, doing indoc for the newbs, you get to see how much stress some of these guys are having when they are first learning how to eat in the chow hall. Hell, one guy was so stressed out that he puked right there on his plate. I think he was scared to death that we were going to make him eat it. We didn't. Navy's not quite that hardcore.