• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Now Taking High School Dropouts

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Nah, I dont recognize the name either, and I've been here (apparently and shockingly) 20 years. When does my AW retirement pay kick in? Did I need to request that?
It depends on how many good years you've had on here, and you have to wait for bennies until you're at least 60. 😄

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You all aren’t missing anything, he’s a relatively new guy that has a habit of asking obvious questions, and the creator of this thread was using similar language.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I feel like unlike real life, my AW self should get an active retirement
If you ever get off AW active duty, I think you can still build good years on AW IRR by responding to various OCS/Board threads with "use the search function". It has to be one weekend a month, and maybe a week in the summer though. ☀️

IRfly

None
Made me think about why folks drop out/don’t finish HS and whether those factors would impact naval service:

Crime/arrest: prob wouldn’t be eligible anyways

Pregnancy: I think most teenage mothers finish their GEDs at least, but I’d guess that if they make to the the recruiter, they’ll probably be pretty motivated to succeed as sailors

Unstable home life: I bet a lot of these folks would be average-to-above-average sailors despite the lack of a diploma, if no behavioral issues. Probably smart, tough survivors.

Of course, all of them would be on the outs when it’s time for free burgers…

GroundPounder

Made me think about why folks drop out/don’t finish HS and whether those factors would impact naval service:

Pregnancy: I think most teenage mothers finish their GEDs at least, but I’d guess that if they make to the the recruiter, they’ll probably be pretty motivated to succeed as sailors

Unstable home life: I bet a lot of these folks would be average-to-above-average sailors despite the lack of a diploma, if no behavioral issues. Probably smart, tough survivors.

I would add the cohort of kids that just stopped going to school after the Covidian era came to an end. Also, kids that fell through the cracks and never did / could not participate in " distance learning " .

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
The armed forces should be the nation’s top “second chance” organization to elevate people like these to a better future. The additional training that may or may not be required is pocket change compared to the long-term pay out.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Yeah if someone still makes ASVAB but doesn’t have a diploma or GED, I read that as having the potential and aptitude, just not a stable home environment that supports finishing those programs.
Don’t know how common that combination is really, but that’s pretty spot on for a win win for the military and enlistee. The Navy has many flaws. Lack of structure isn’t one of them.
My sister and mom absolutely hated each other when I was growing up. She moved out, dropped out, and got a good job in the town I grew up in.

After I had been in for about 5 years, she briefly flirted with joining the Air Force and scored somewhere in the 60s. I remember that because she asked me to go the the recruiters office with her. She ended up not joining but holy crap the recruiter was trying hard to get her to join.

So yeah, your point is home environment can play in.

exNavyOffRec

A LT I worked for dropped out of HS due to pregnancy, then earned her GED, started taking college classes, ended up getting picked up NUPOC and has had a great life since. A motivated person when given a second chance can do great things.