• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Missile Cruiser Runs Aground Near Honolulu

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Why train them when the department heads are just going to eat their JO's anyways?

Yeah, my DH can definitely 'eat me'...

Actually, I don't catch much. I don't allow myself to fall victim to some of the in the box thinking of the COC. If I get chewed for it, oh well. Better to piss him off (not by disobey, just by lowering the priority) then lose the respect of your division. In life, and the Navy, if you can stand up for yourself and justify your actions, your boss will generally leave you be.

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
BigRed389 said:
What's with the Navy's fucking hardon for computer based training over competent instructors?

Most of the time the course software is broken, errors go for months/years without being corrected, and it's even starting to creep into what should be "serious" training. I stopped by the OS "C" School b/c the course was running adjacent to one I was in and an OS2 on my ship was in it...it was individually paced CBT with CBT testing.

It is everywhere now. 10 years ago in e-nuke school, it was the class, the instructor, and chalk board and books. Now I hear it is death by power point, print out slides and fill in the blanks.

And in prototype it used to be: study material, go down to boat and trace system, enter cubical with salty first class, get hammered with questions, leave with look ups. Now you do a CBT pretest, give results to an instructor who may or may not ask additional questions, and then move along to the next one.

Technology is good, but c'mon..... Standardized CBT is not how I want the guy who may have to save my ass in a casualty trained.

Reading the book and tracing the system, followed by a question answer session and practical evolution to me seems the best way to go. Hmmm kind of sounds like the Aviation pipeline.... Glad I'm here!

Sinatra

ALOHA LAMPS
Its called money.

I'd argue it's partially IA's. Instead of competent instructors going back to the school house to spread the wealth of knowledge they're sent to Iraqistan...

Maybe I'm off base here but you'd think that one of the first places you'd send somebody for their shore tour is to teach the trade to the next generation.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
It is everywhere now. 10 years ago in e-nuke school, it was the class, the instructor, and chalk board and books. Now I hear it is death by power point, print out slides and fill in the blanks.
I would much rather have the fill-in-the-blanks than have to write all that stuff down myself. If the instructor is good, he also uses the chalkboard plenty. The additional study halls/PT hour are also nice.

And in prototype it used to be: study material, go down to boat and trace system, enter cubical with salty first class, get hammered with questions, leave with look ups. Now you do a CBT pretest, give results to an instructor who may or may not ask additional questions, and then move along to the next one.
The CBT test is in place because instructors were getting pissed off at stupid people wasting their time by going for a checkout with insufficient knowledge. The fact that you pass it demonstrates that you at least have some knowledge on the topic. If the instructor doesn't grill you about the topic, then he's failing in his role.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
I'd argue it's partially IA's. Instead of competent instructors going back to the school house to spread the wealth of knowledge they're sent to Iraqistan...

Maybe I'm off base here but you'd think that one of the first places you'd send somebody for their shore tour is to teach the trade to the next generation.

Can't really say its the IA's taking instructors. As for your second statement all I can say is "get back inside the box"...

lowflier03

So no $hit there I was
pilot
The problem with all the computer based training is that it is computer based with no real instructor. It has crept into the aviation community as well. I can tell you the general consensus when it comes to this crap, at least among everyone I have met. "If it's not important enough to spend the time or effort to have someone actually teach the material, then obviously it's not important enough for me to waste my time or effort to learn it."

swerdna

None
Contributor
BigRed389 said:
What's with the Navy's fucking hardon for computer based training over competent instructors?

Most of the time the course software is broken, errors go for months/years without being corrected, and it's even starting to creep into what should be "serious" training. I stopped by the OS "C" School b/c the course was running adjacent to one I was in and an OS2 on my ship was in it...it was individually paced CBT with CBT testing.

I think it has something to do with the "paperless Navy" thing that was started back around 2000. I remember getting pubs for C school and then suddenly not having them anymore. We were supposed to learn everything by reading it off of a computer screen. It was terrible. They wanted ships to go to these things called IETMs (basically computer documents you viewed on a laptop). We kept all of our tech pubs anyway. At least they don't run off of batteries.

As for the lack of training, I totally agree. i wish that there would be a better, longer school for SWO. I think that a lot of people here are trying to compare it to flight training, which simply will not work. How can you have training ships? It is logistically difficult and extremely expensive. Maybe more OJT?

And in regards to the lack of formal training and the original point of this thread, we don't know what the situation on the PR was. The captain might have been on the bridge, and I don't think anyone's going to say he isn't qualified. It could have been an equipment malfunction for all we know. It seems premature to blame and criticize SWO training and anyone onboard the PR.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Port Royal Cruise Book images?

Probably not....not likely to be in CO's scrapbook either

web_090207-N-0000X-007.jpg

090207-N-0000X-007 PEARL HARBOR (Feb. 7, 2009) The Pearl Harbor-based guided-missile cruiser USS Port Royal (CG 73) takes a starboard list as the USNS Salvor (T-ARS 52) tries to free the ship after it ran aground Feb. 5 about a half-mile south of the Honolulu airport while off-loading personnel into a small boat. The salvage ship USNS Salvor (T-ARS 52), which included an embarked detachment of Mobile Diving Salvage Unit (MDSU) 1 personnel, the Motor Vessel Dove, and seven Navy and commercial tugboats freed Port Royal off a shoal on Feb. 9. (U.S. Navy photo/Released)

web_090207-N-0000X-002.jpg

090207-N-0000X-002 PEARL HARBOR (Feb. 7, 2009) The Pearl Harbor-based guided-missile cruiser USS Port Royal (CG 73) ran aground Feb. 5 about a half-mile south of the Honolulu airport while off-loading personnel into a small boat. The salvage ship USNS Salvor (T-ARS 52), which included an embarked detachment of Mobile Diving Salvage Unit (MDSU) 1 personnel, the Motor Vessel Dove, and seven Navy and commercial tugboats freed Port Royal off a shoal on Feb. 9. (U.S. Navy photo/Released)

swerdna

None
Contributor
Probably not....not likely to be in CO's scrapbook either

web_090207-N-0000X-007.jpg

090207-N-0000X-007 PEARL HARBOR (Feb. 7, 2009) The Pearl Harbor-based guided-missile cruiser USS Port Royal (CG 73) takes a starboard list as the USNS Salvor (T-ARS 52) tries to free the ship after it ran aground Feb. 5 about a half-mile south of the Honolulu airport while off-loading personnel into a small boat. The salvage ship USNS Salvor (T-ARS 52), which included an embarked detachment of Mobile Diving Salvage Unit (MDSU) 1 personnel, the Motor Vessel Dove, and seven Navy and commercial tugboats freed Port Royal off a shoal on Feb. 9. (U.S. Navy photo/Released)

So when did we start painting the bottom of the hull blue? I've heard somewhere that it's called "intersleek" but have no idea what this is. Anybody got any info?

It's strange to see blue instead of red.

MasterBates

Last CG I was under was Red. Swim call in the middle of the Atlantic.

Nothing like being 1500 miles from the nearest land with 2 miles of water under you to make you feel like fish food.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Its called money.
This. The corporatization of the Navy, where the CO who does the mission with the least amount of resources does the best, has resulted into cutting fat, then muscle, and coming soon, bone from the structures that we've relied upon for years. CBT is a continuation of that.