• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy med 101 to first duty station

Hi,

I’m active duty attending ODS in October. I understand that I will be going to Navy Med 101 for one week after that in Bethesda. Once that’s done, if my first duty station is overseas, do I get flown straight there or do I have a few days to go home in between? I’m not prior service so I don’t know much of anything yet. Any help would be great!

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi,

I’m active duty attending ODS in October. I understand that I will be going to Navy Med 101 for one week after that in Bethesda. Once that’s done, if my first duty station is overseas, do I get flown straight there or do I have a few days to go home in between? I’m not prior service so I don’t know much of anything yet. Any help would be great!

You do realize this is a naval aviation / OCS - centric forum right?

As with all orders why not just ask your sponsor or incoming command overseas?

• Dislike
Reactions: Mos

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
You do realize this is a naval aviation / OCS - centric forum right?

As with all orders why not just ask your sponsor or incoming command overseas?
Someone please put a muzzle on this asshole. It's like you just aren't happy with life
Hi,

Please don't worry about the grouchy pricks around here. We don't send our brightest to be recruiters.

You will be able to take leave in between commands though you won't have that many leave days built up yet. There are ways around that though so just ask once you get orders to your follow on command. There will be an email in your orders for a POC at the new command and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

taxi1

pilot
Hi,

So you went to med school on the Navy dime, and are now off to actually join the Navy? Very cool, and best of luck.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Someone please put a muzzle on this asshole. It's like you just aren't happy with life

Please don't worry about the grouchy pricks around here. We don't send our brightest to be recruiters.

You will be able to take leave in between commands though you won't have that many leave days built up yet. There are ways around that though so just ask once you get orders to your follow on command. There will be an email in your orders for a POC at the new command and they should be able to point you in the right direction.

I thought aviators were relaxed and chill, guess I was wrong…

Mods, can we put a lid on pilot man for name calling? Pretty sure that goes against the rules.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hi,

Aloha!
You’ll get some time to get between Bethesda & your duty station. Also, the gov will likely fly you & your dependents (if any) commercial (a couple remote-ish assignments).

Lmk if you need more rudder input. Retired from Navy medicine in 2021. It was a fun ride!

Aloha!
You’ll get some time to get between Bethesda & your duty station. Also, the gov will likely fly you & your dependents (if any) commercial (a couple remote-ish assignments).

Lmk if you need more rudder input. Retired from Navy medicine in 2021. It was a fun ride!
Thank you so much for this answer. Ok if I DM you?

Thank you. I appreciate your response. I had no clue I was in the wrong forum.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Thank you. I appreciate your response. I had no clue I was in the wrong forum.
You are not writing in the wrong forum. Your question is a good one and we have plenty of docs in here who can help out - so keep asking. Enjoy your service, I loved the battalion surgeon we had in my first USMC unit many years ago - he was a troop centered doctor who did all he could to understand our job and then make sure we could do it.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Hi,

Do you have a command sponsor yet? Definitely reach out to him/her to coordinate your travel and leave plans. Most overseas locations have indoc programs to help you get acclimated to the area and assist with the moving and househunting process. It's all a little different overseas than in the States. Make sure they don't already have a tight schedule booked for you once you graduate ODS and your follow-on training.

Do you have a command sponsor yet? Definitely reach out to him/her to coordinate your travel and leave plans. Most overseas locations have indoc programs to help you get acclimated to the area and assist with the moving and househunting process. It's all a little different overseas than in the States. Make sure they don't already have a tight schedule booked for you once you graduate ODS and your follow-on training.
If my report no later date is approx two weeks out from the end of my training, would that mean I do have some time in between?

No command sponsor just yet so I’m trying to find info through here and Reddit in the meantime

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
If my report no later date is approx two weeks out from the end of my training, would that mean I do have some time in between?

No command sponsor just yet so I’m trying to find info through here and Reddit in the meantime
If it were as tight as two weeks that time is for you to arrange your move, get your family packed up, and work (online) with your sponsor to get some housing. Depending on where you go you should expect to live in temporary quarters for a short time until you find a place and get acclimated to your new station. But, simple answer, if you have two weeks between graduation and reporting that time is yours to use.

If it were as tight as two weeks that time is for you to arrange your move, get your family packed up, and work (online) with your sponsor to get some housing. Depending on where you go you should expect to live in temporary quarters for a short time until you find a place and get acclimated to your new station. But, simple answer, if you have two weeks between graduation and reporting that time is yours to use.
Yeah that’s what I was hoping to use it for. I have some family stuff I’ll need to take care of before I leave. Do you know if I have to use accrued leave time for those two-ish weeks? I won’t have much accrued. Probably a dumb question but I’m not prior service.

Griz882

pilot
Contributor
Yeah that’s what I was hoping to use it for. I have some family stuff I’ll need to take care of before I leave. Do you know if I have to use accrued leave time for those two-ish weeks? I won’t have much accrued. Probably a dumb question but I’m not prior service.
Great question…and I don’t know the answer. In my experience, no, that is typically viewed as “administrative” time and you won’t need to burn leave - but my experience is starting to reach the “use beyond date” in many cases. The good news is you are asking the right questions.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Yes, you will burn leave during that time until you check into your next command. So your leave will be between the date you formally check out of OTCN (They will stamp and sign your orders) and then when you check into your next command (They will stamp and sign your orders). Any travel time they give you will be re-credited back once your new command processes your gain.