• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Helo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaxs170

www.YANKEESSUCK.com
The C-12s are still up and running in Atsugi, VQ-4 has a guy heading there for his shore tour in a few month. Word I have is that besides Japan, only Bahrain still has them. There are a few limited opportunities for other C-12 like billets in other planes, though the only one I know of for certain (meaning I know someone who is heading there) are C-26s (think it was 26s, could be some other designation) in Italy.

My bosses have told me the C-12s were not a good place to go if you wanted to stay in after your innitial contract was up b/c you would not have the instructor tour check in the box which they want for you to be flying as an O-4/DH.

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Jaxs170 said:
My bosses have told me the C-12s were not a good place to go if you wanted to stay in after your innitial contract was up b/c you would not have the instructor tour check in the box which they want for you to be flying as an O-4/DH.

Which is completely true. But lets be honest here everybody, not all of us are going to be Skippers some day (certainly not me). I think Physicx here is just trying to get informed about the options that are out there. No reason to jump all over his sh!t.

Career Navy isn't for everyone, and for some people, a C-12 billet after a Fleet tour would fit perfectly with starting a family, getting a Masters, or maybe earning some ratings on the civilian side (if that's your goal). No, it definitely is not career enhancing, but if I was forced to choose between a C-12 station pilot gig or some non-flying, "man I hate my job" billet, I'd take the C-12 in a heartbeat. I almost had to, luckily fate stepped in.

I actually was impressed to see a question in this area, as opposed to the typical "how do I get jets after I get stuck with helos?" Or "is it true that helo guys will never make admiral?" There's nothing wrong with researching all the possibilities.

Reactions: E5B

Physicx

Banned
Thank you Zab and everyone else.Helos would be my first choice.I know a helo driver out of NASNI and what he does is awesome.But you have to feed the family and pay the bills if you get out and the helo jobs don't seem to suffice.Thanks again.

Acoustix99

pilot
A lot of the helo jobs now are still filled by aging ex vietnam types, by the time you get out of the navy, the helo job market will probably be a little more open, as ALL those guys trained to fly helos wson't be flying anymore.

Physicx

Banned
I would love to fly for customs and it will get better when they finish merging with the Border Patrol.

Status
Not open for further replies.