• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Navy Helo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Physicx

Banned
How hard is it to go from a helo to a C-12.I know that its possible in the Marines but what about the Navy?And how competitive it is and is it usually flying for a base?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
C-12s

All the C-12s are gone. Have been for about a year and most normal NAS don't have any station aircraft.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Helos

It would be extremely atypical for a helo guy to switch to fixed wing. People generally stay where they are. There is a Jet transition board available after your first sea tour. For example, there are 4-5 guys right now flying Prowlers that used to either fly 60s or 46s. It is not the norm, and like everything else, pretty much goes according to the needs of the Navy. Why are you interested? Did you select helos or something?

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have a few buddies who did a Fleet tour in helos and were offered C-12 station pilot jobs. They said that it isn't that uncommon for them to get a shot at station pilot orders. (I was suprised, it's basically impossible to get them from VP).
There are no station pilot jobs or c-12s left? When did this happen? I have a buddy who did ASO school and then the C-12 FRS a few months ago on his way to Misawa. Granted, that isn't an NAS, but aren't there still Navy C-12s on a few scattered ramps in Japan? What about Bahrain?

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
helo transition

There is at least one helo transition guy currently going thru the E2/C2 FRS - not sure which one he selected, or if there are more like him.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Brett327 said:
All the C-12s are gone. Have been for about a year and most normal NAS don't have any station aircraft.
Well, they still have C12s in 7th Fleet, I know some ppl that got orders to them as station pilot.

hornetframer

Rhino WSO
None
zab1001 said:
I have a few buddies who did a Fleet tour in helos and were offered C-12 station pilot jobs. They said that it isn't that uncommon for them to get a shot at station pilot orders. (I was suprised, it's basically impossible to get them from VP).
There are no station pilot jobs or c-12s left? When did this happen? I have a buddy who did ASO school and then the C-12 FRS a few months ago on his way to Misawa. Granted, that isn't an NAS, but aren't there still Navy C-12s on a few scattered ramps in Japan? What about Bahrain?

I was stationed in NAF Atsugi Japan for 8 years (1994-2002) and was there this past summer to visit some old friends of mine and they still have C-12s there. The base uses them a lot to take small hops to MCAS Iwakuni, NAF Misawa, and NAF Kadena for parts or meetings or whatever else they might use them for. Especially getting flight time.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Allow me to specify: Beginning 1 FEB 04 all CONUS regular (I.E. not reserve) C-12s are to be phased out. They're gone from Whidbey, Fallon and NASNI that I know of, so making career plans/hopes for them might be ill advised. In my experience, a C-12 billet is where failed hinges go to die.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
C-12s

Why don't you tell me why you're so interested in them, then I can give you a little more specific help/insight. Are you in the TRACOM? Have you selected Helos? Do you have some urgent need for multi-engine assy thrust hours? Do you daydream about long hours cruising at 220 Kts? Do you want a successful career in the Navy? Things like that. You can PM me if that's easier for you.

Brett

Physicx

Banned
I am just curious.I am still in college and was just wondering.There are such a limited amount of helo jobs that pay I was wondering if it was possible.I don't know what the big deal is about telling me.But if you don't want to that just fine.

46Driver

"It's a mother beautiful bridge, and it's gon
The limited amount of C-12 hours that you will get (if they are still around 10 years from now) will probably qualify you for a low paying regional job only, not a major. The competition to be a pilot in the majors is getting more difficult due to the fact that you civilian competition will rack up 5000+ hours of glass cockpit, multi-engine regional jet time while you might have 1000 hours of twin turboprop.

Status
Not open for further replies.